Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest .223 Handloads Opinions on data?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Latest .223 Handloads Opinions on data?

    Hey guys, I just finished my latest batch in .223 reloads, and was hoping you all could give my data a once over and give your opinions.

    As far as my data goes, I am 99% positive is safe and whatnot, but as always, I was hoping for a second opinion.

    Here's the numbers:

    SS190 62gr Ball (steel core)
    2.234" Loaded w/ 25.4gr. Varget powder
    Max COL 2.25 Powder: Min 25.4gr Max 26.4

    Nosler Partition 55gr
    2.246" Loaded w/ 23gr Varget
    Max COL 2.25" Powder: Min 23gr Max 25gr

    Hornaday Match JHP 52gr
    2.220" Loaded w/ 24gr Varget
    Max COL 2.230 Powder: Min 23.3gr Max 26.0

    Hornaday V-Max 55gr
    2.241" Loaded w/ 24.4gr Varget
    Max COL 2.250" Powder: Min 22.8gr Max 28.1gr

    Thanks for taking a look

  • #2
    What are the velocities?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nitroman View Post
      What are the velocities?
      I havent been able to get to the range yet to test them. Mostly i was hoping that if i screwed up somehow, someone on here would tell me im an idiot thats going to blow my fingers off.

      Thanks for reminding me tho. I have to try to find my chrony.

      Comment


      • #4
        Ss190

        Where did you find the SS190 bullets to load??

        Comment


        • #5
          I got a sack of 500 at the october gunshow for 50 bucks i think. If you look around online you can probably find some pulled rounds. Mine however are factory new

          Found the chrony, so weather permitting i should have some velocity numbers for everyone tomorrow night (if it gets above 10 in my side of fbks anyhow)

          Comment


          • #6
            I too love Varget!!

            I use 25.5 gr. for the ss109's with the col of 2.25

            The Match 52gr. get 26 gr. of Varget. a very accurate load in my Bushy Varminter Special. It gets a col of 2.21
            The rest all look good as well

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by North Polar View Post
              Hey guys, I just finished my latest batch in .223 reloads, and was hoping you all could give my data a once over and give your opinions.

              As far as my data goes, I am 99% positive is safe and whatnot, but as always, I was hoping for a second opinion.

              Here's the numbers:

              SS190 62gr Ball (steel core) (You probably mean ss109, here)
              2.234" Loaded w/ 25.4gr. Varget powder
              Max COL 2.25 Powder: Min 25.4gr Max 26.4

              Nosler Partition 55gr
              2.246" Loaded w/ 23gr Varget
              Max COL 2.25" Powder: Min 23gr Max 25gr

              Hornaday Match JHP 52gr
              2.220" Loaded w/ 24gr Varget
              Max COL 2.230 Powder: Min 23.3gr Max 26.0

              Hornaday V-Max 55gr
              2.241" Loaded w/ 24.4gr Varget
              Max COL 2.250" Powder: Min 22.8gr Max 28.1gr (I would question this one)

              Thanks for taking a look

              What are you asking? Have you loaded these up in quantity and want to know now if the loads are good? Any chance you can shoot a few of each batch? Send me a 100 of each batch and I'll test them for you.
              Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by aufevermike View Post
                I too love Varget!!

                I use 25.5 gr. for the ss109's with the col of 2.25

                The Match 52gr. get 26 gr. of Varget. a very accurate load in my Bushy Varminter Special. It gets a col of 2.21
                The rest all look good as well
                Thanks, thats what I was looking for. Figure this is the first batch of rounds that are up to spec so I wanted to be sure before i went out to test em. (also to make the wife happy i wont blow my fingers off)

                First set is to check pressure and cycling. I'll probably try those two loads in my next batch. Figure I just dialed everything back 10% for these loads considering I dont have a gauge to check where the rounds contact the rifling, etc.

                By the way, trickling every round is a pain in the ass lol. Figure I have the press set to seat the ss109 at its current depth, although with this many rounds i end up slowly setting the rest so they dont set too deep.

                Any tricks other then being really careful? Im tired of having to tap rounds back out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think varget works better with the heavier bullets. Bullets less than 62 grains are better loaded with H4895 or IMR 4895. I use 25 grains of H4895 with a 55 grain bullet and have won a couple of matches shooting a Rem 40XB bolt rifle.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by coxhaus View Post
                    I think varget works better with the heavier bullets. Bullets less than 62 grains are better loaded with H4895 or IMR 4895. I use 25 grains of H4895 with a 55 grain bullet and have won a couple of matches shooting a Rem 40XB bolt rifle.
                    Main reason I went with varget is it was reccomended to me by a few folks when i was getting into reloading last fall. Once I get the varget loads worked out, ill be looking at branching out into other powders.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      so what would be the best for interchangeability between a Mini 14 and a Ar15 for the loads on .223

                      I havent hand loaded too many rifle rounds... only some 45-70 Black Powder due to the Rifle I have will only tolerate that load.. ( its a repro Trap Door and I dont need it blowing in my face.)

                      I reload so far only pistol ammo but am soon branching into reloading for my .223 rifles and my selection of 15 other some odd rifles... but I am intersted in the loads for crossover for both the Rifles listed above...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sluicebox View Post
                        so what would be the best for interchangeability between a Mini 14 and a Ar15 for the loads on .223

                        I havent hand loaded too many rifle rounds... only some 45-70 Black Powder due to the Rifle I have will only tolerate that load.. ( its a repro Trap Door and I dont need it blowing in my face.)

                        I reload so far only pistol ammo but am soon branching into reloading for my .223 rifles and my selection of 15 other some odd rifles... but I am intersted in the loads for crossover for both the Rifles listed above...
                        The main thing to realize is that the AR and mini are 2 separate gas system and chamber designs. If you load to the AR's specs you will probably over pressure on your mini.

                        SO, you really should load regular .223 for your mini and it *should* cycle in your AR.

                        Anyhow, I'm still feeling out the rounds I am loading. A good thing to get is that Reloading .223 book they sell at sportsmans. The data there is a good place to start and it lists tons of different makes and loads.

                        Comment

                        Footer Adsense

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X