Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this - Die with just a hole down the middle

Picked this up in some 2nd hand gear, but
    no idea what it is. Top and bottom pictured.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Pretty much impossible to tell from those pics. Could be a brass sizing die of some sort (but probably not, given the lack of a neck button). Could be a crimp die, or a bullet sizing die... Would need to examine the inside to get a better idea. If a straight through, gradual taper without any steps/shoulders then probably a bullet sizing die.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
      Pretty much impossible to tell from those pics. Could be a brass sizing die of some sort (but probably not, given the lack of a neck button). Could be a crimp die, or a bullet sizing die... Would need to examine the inside to get a better idea. If a straight through, gradual taper without any steps/shoulders then probably a bullet sizing die.
      That's what I was going to say.

Comment

It measures same on both sides and I was able to shove a .308 180gr E-Tip through all the way through with a light push using the ink tube of a bic pen. So looks like I have a bullet sizing die, or part of it, for a .30 cal. Thanks for the insights!

Comment

If the bore is exactly the same diameter from end to end, with no taper, then it's probably not a bullet sizing die...at least not one the likes of which I've ever seen. And that would make it a head scratcher...

Could be it's just a blank some machinist was in the process of tinkering with (?).
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
            If the bore is exactly the same diameter from end to end, with no taper, then it's probably not a bullet sizing die...at least not one the likes of which I've ever seen. And that would make it a head scratcher...

Could be it's just a blank some machinist was in the process of tinkering with (?).
            I'd say you're on to something. A blank to ream a custom sizer or seater. Then they are sent off for heat treat.

Comment

Interesting, also noticed it has an “S” stamped on one end and “F” stamped on the other.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X