Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else casting/reloading the Russian slugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else casting/reloading the Russian slugs?

Me and a buddy have been discussing loading our own slugs.<br/>They're expensive to buy as loaded shells so we planned on casting our own as I cast other lead bullets as well as my own fishing tackle.<br/>I bought a lyman 525 mold but then decided these new Russian slug molds looked intriguing.<br/>So I bought one as well as the associated proprietary tail wads and the special tools to load these. <br/>I ended up with the Paradox slug mold.<br/>It came with three separate base pins but we will most likely just use the one for the attached wads.<br/>The wads actually snap into the bottom of the slugs. Though special tools are required to get them in there correctly.<br/>The shells are loaded and hopefully we'll find time this winter to test them.<br/>The raw slugs weigh in at 530 grain and with the wads attached they are 580 grain.<br/>Roll crimped using used hulls and longshot powder.<br/>I did buy 1,000 new empty federal hulls that we will start using on the next batches.<br/>We didn't need to powder coat them but it's easy and I have the stuff in the shop anyway.<br/>Next batch will include some white ones to complete the patriotic theme.lol<br/>A bit spendy overall for this project but in the end will be cheaper than buying a bunch of loaded slugs. If loaded slugs can even be found these days?<br/>Accuracy is supposed to be very good.<br/>Much better than existing slug molds due to the attached stabilizing tail wads. And the fact that most other slug molds use shot wads as sabots which is less than ideal.<br/>Anyone else loading these or any of the other Russian slugs?<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

..........Red pill versus Blue pill........Choose.

You do nice work.

"Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
      <br/>..........Red pill versus Blue pill........Choose.<br/><br/>You do nice work.<br/><br/>
      Thanks!<br/>The color choices are endless but, I already had the blue and red loaded in the containers so that's what we went with.<br/>I ordered a new core pin today to make the super paradox slug <br/>Should make a slug that's a bit heavier.<br/>555 grains versus the 530 they are now.<br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

Do you hunt with slugs?<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

Originally posted by clarktar View Post
          Do you hunt with slugs?<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
          No, not now anyway.<br/>The point of these is for bear protection/ home defense rounds.<br/>But to be proficient one needs to practice.<br/>With factory slugs going for $1.50-$2+ per round it adds up fast and that's if the ammo is in stock.<br/>I haven't calculated the cost of these yet but I'm certain it will be below $1 each even with new hulls.<br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

Ah, that makes sense! I wouldn't mind buying some from to test in my stoeger m3500<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

Originally posted by clarktar View Post
              Ah, that makes sense! I wouldn't mind buying some from to test in my stoeger m3500<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
              Yeah I have no intention of selling any of this ammo.<br/>Not even sure I would sell just the cast slugs.<br/>I don't need those kinds of liabilities and I don't really have the time anyway.<br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                Yeah I have no intention of selling any of this ammo.<br/>Not even sure I would sell just the cast slugs.<br/>I don't need those kinds of liabilities and I don't really have the time anyway.<br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
                That is understandable for sure. In this day and age, it seems more likely than not that someone will chose litigation! <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X