Need 45 Colt Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 45 Colt Load

I am looking for 45 Colt load data for a S&W 25-5 using Rimrock Keith style 275gr bullets. Would like to get maximum velocity safe in the non-heat treated S&W Mod 25 frame. I have HS6, Unique, Bullseye, Power Pistol, Longshot, Titegroup, Blue Dot powders available. Am leaning towards the HS6 as Ive had success with it in past with this revolver but have never loaded heavier than 250gr bullets. Anyone loaded these bullets? I think they are 15 BNH.

Checked my 5 reloading manuels and none list a 275 grain bullet.
    I loaded some 230 grain that I cast and I like them.
    Going to cast some 300 grain this afternoon as my gas checks just arrived.
    But the 300 grain bullets I'm casting have load data in my Lyman cast bullet handbook.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
      I am looking for 45 Colt load data for a S&W 25-5 using Rimrock Keith style 275gr bullets. Would like to get maximum velocity safe in the non-heat treated S&W Mod 25 frame. I have HS6, Unique, Bullseye, Power Pistol, Longshot, Titegroup, Blue Dot powders available. Am leaning towards the HS6 as Ive had success with it in past with this revolver but have never loaded heavier than 250gr bullets. Anyone loaded these bullets? I think they are 15 BNH.
      Dig up a copy of Handloader #246. Brian Pearce wrote a pretty comprehensive article with lots of good load data for that bullet using virtually all the powders you listed. A good article in Handloader #234, too.
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

I just checked and the bullets I have are Rimrock 270gr SWC flat base Keith style bullets. From everything I have read this as about the most heavy bullet I can practically use in a S&W 25-5. My plan is to just use them for plinking but think they would also make a decent handgun hunting load for black bear or deer. My revolver is the target model with 8 3/8 barrel. Would be a good load if I could push them up to about 900 fps but not sure that is possible. Most say my revolver is restricted to the standard Colt SAA load range.

Comment

Thank you, I will try and find that. I might have it in all the old issues I have tucked away.

Comment

Thank you, I will try and find that. I might have it in all the old issues I have tucked away.
            If you can't find it, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Ok, thank you kindly.

Comment

Ok, thank you kindly.
                No worries. Check your email.

Comment

Got it. Just the kind of data I needed and greatly appreciated. Looks like several safe loads using my bullet getting 900 or so fps out of a 5 1/2 barrel so my 25-5 should have no problem with the longer barrel. Thank you again.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X