.356 Win. loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .356 Win. loads

It has been a long road in my quest for a .35 caliber lever gun with an exposed hammer and magazine tube. I have a mint Mod. 94 Win. Big Bore in .356 Win. coming along with dies, brass and bullets. I am looking for two loads, one is a hard cast bullet for practice with less recoil and less cost. I think the twist rate is 1-12.

The other is a 220 grain load like the Speer Flat Point or a Hawk bullet. I have read the 220 grain Speer and the .356 is a good big critter load if one does not shoot to far because the impact velocity may be to little for expansion, ya got me. If true then maybe I should look at a thinner jacketed Hawk bullet.

I'm thinking 200 yards max for moose and caribou and 100 yards for big bears, but I really don't plan on hunting big bears with the .356 Win. If the need came for a shooting up close then I think the chambering and that bullet should do the job, if I do mine.

I know some of you shoot lots of lead bullets and have experience I don't. If any one has a favorite heavy jacketed and lighter cast bullet load please share it and your favorite powder, primer, brass, etc. I don't need how much powder you put in the case, I can sort that out. But, if you know the velocity I would like to hear it.

If you have any experience with this rifle and chambering I am all ears. I have read a bunch on the .35 Remington and assume the .356 Win. is just another step up the ladder.

Problem solved

This is part of my post in the Shooting Forum thread and I probably should of put it here. It is also my attempt at improving bullet choices for the .356 Win. Mod. 94 Big Bore I bought.

I picked up a bunch of the Speer 220 grain FN .35 caliber bullets on sale along with a rebate coupon. I will get more and forget about cast bullets for now. Once I get the "new" 220 grain Kodiak Super Bonded .35 caliber FN bullets from Alaska Bullet Works I will work up a load for them and try to duplicate it for the Speer bullet. That will give me a cheaper bullet for practice with similar recoil and if lucky, similar point of impact.

Shooting thread post.

"Karl from Alaska Bullet Works in Juneau has agreed to make up some 220 grain Kodiak super bonded flat nose .35 cal. bullets and plans to start putting them together after the new year starts. These bullets will have the similar jackets to the 250 grain version which has a good reputation here in Alaska and Canada. According to Karl, the jacket on the 250 grain bullet is .025 thick at the nose and tapers to .050 at the base. Which helps with expansion at lower impact velocities and the thick jacket in the rear and bonding should stop fragmentation and create a deep wound channel".

I also think this would be a good bullet for the .35 Remington and it's lower velocities.

Alaska Bullet Works in Juneau at 907-789-3834. Please give Karl a call if you are interested in this bullet. I have no stake in this other then a desire for a 220 grain version of their very good bullets.

Comment

I did a search on the forum and no hits on the .356. Even an internet search only produces three web sites with any worthy information. I don't remember it being that popular in the first years that it was out.
      https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...56-winchester/
      https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...inchester.html
      http://gundata.org/cartridge/85/.356-winchester/

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I recently picked up a Marlin in .375 Winchester. I have owned one in the past and also a couple of the Winchester Big Bore 94's. Great guns and a very good hunting round.
        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I think the "new" 220 grain Kodiak will be a big boost to the few .356 Win. owners and also the .35 Rem. users and if it sells I hope they consider a 200 grain version.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X