I have a lot to learn... powder advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duteman View Post
    I'm thinking there's enough ways I can screw it up without uncertainty about the powder being one of them!
    Probably the biggest way you can possibly screw up is to take someone else's pet load off the internet and cork it off in your gun. Some of the guys posting loads on the internet got their ballistic expertise as a free prize in a cereal box. Stick with the manuals and the engineers that tested and published the loads. If you decide to step into the ether beyond their max loads, do so VEEEEEEERRRRRRY gradually and carefully, recognizing the possibility that you're loading from a cereal box.

Bud of mine loaded up an online "bear" load for his 45-70 and it wouldn't group for beans and his bolt would barely open. On the 5th shot his scope actually fell off his Guide Gun. Turned out that it wouldn't group because the pressures were so over the top that he ringed the chamber and front of the action. The scope base would no longer sit flat, and of course the screws sheared. He's now a fanatic about working up loads slowly and sticking to the manuals. He has no intention to replace his replacement Guide Gun.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
      He's now a fanatic about working up loads slowly and sticking to the manuals. He has no intention to replace his replacement Guide Gun.
      Me neither. I like my gun just as it is. I have no desire to go produce a max-macho load, the recoil with standard FL stuff is heavy enough! So yeah, I'm planning on taking it easy, learning slowly... load, shoot, observe, load again... repeat.

Comment

...the recoil with standard FL stuff is heavy enough....
        If you want to have some real fun with that 45-70 and get to know the rifle real well, order up some standard 400- or 405-grain lead bullets, then check the cast bullet reloading manuals. Odds are there will be a dandy load in there for your Unique or something similar.

With the recoil and noise cut way down, you'll shoot it lots and get good with it about 10x faster than you'll ever manage with the heavy loads. Easy as pie to transition to the heavy stuff after you know the gun so well. Best of all, cutting back on the cost of bullets and powder will save you a buncha bux getting there.
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

Comment

...I am intrigued with the possibility of loading more consistent and accurate loads. The idea of making my Winchester .30-30 into a more accurate deer killing machine makes me happy. CT is a "slug only" state on public land but I like the idea anyway. I also have only .30-06's for my other rifles, though I think a .223 is in my future! Some amazing deals over the years as guys trade in their "old fashioned" '06's for the "flavor of the month". I've been studying the Hornady guide a bit and might try a few modern bullet combination in that cartridge too. This might be fun!

Comment

"flavor of the month"
            Not dismissing other rounds, I'd like one each of them too! I'm just old-fashioned and I've always thought I can get .30-06's in remote country stores just about anywhere. It looks like if I get good at this building custom load thing that my old-fashioned 06's can become much more versitile. That makes me happy too.

Comment

This is a very good read on penetration in .458 cartridges. Faster is not better when it comes to penetration with big solid/hard cast bullets.

www.garretcartridges.com/penetration.html
              Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-14-2019, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
                This is a very good read on penetration in .458 cartridges. Faster is not better when it comes to penetration with big solid/hard cast bullets.

www.garretcartridges.com/penetration.html
                Couldn't get the link to work.

Comment

Originally posted by PRDATR View Post
                  Couldn't get the link to work.
                  See if this gets you to their site.
                  http://www.garrettcartridges.com/commentaries.html

Patriot Life Member NRA
                  Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                  Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I've looked through my stuff but can't find the special issue dedicated to the 45-70. I can't remember the name of the magazine if it would save my life. It had tons of info about reloading of this round. Everything from just a couple grains to use on squirrels and such around camp all the way to full house loads for Cape Buffalo. Anyone remember having seen this issue? If so please post the info. Thanks in advance!

Comment

One article is in Handloader Magazine, August 2007, #248. It's a tease because it's only available in electronic format now.

Comment

OK then...

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                        See if this gets you to their site.
                        http://www.garrettcartridges.com/commentaries.html
                        http://www.garrettcartridges.com/modern4570.html

I certainly feel comfortable knowing my .45-70 will do the job. If I do my part, we should be OK. Hoping to not need it, but better to be prepared...

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                          If you want to have some real fun with that 45-70 and get to know the rifle real well, order up some standard 400- or 405-grain lead bullets, then check the cast bullet reloading manuals.... Best of all, cutting back on the cost of bullets and powder will save you a buncha bux getting there.
                          So I read a number of the comments on the Garrett links...all things that make sense to me, 'specially for my Redhawk .44 and Marlin .45-70, the two guns that will be with me on my next trip to the bush. So I looked at their prices. Holy-moly! I DO think I can save a BUNCH-a-Bux getting there.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X