cleaning lead fouling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    hydrogen peroxides and vinegar eats lead like no other... That being said it Is very toxic And should be handles and disposed of properly.

Personally I would rather rebarel the rifle then screw around with Mercury.

I reccomend iofthetiaga's suggestion. But for me....playing around with toxic waste or Mercury neither one is an option I'm willing to consider...

good od luck with the rifle.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know the two were reactive together. As I stated earlier, I had found over 20 lbs of liquid mercury last summer. How I found it is a good story. I am a commercial diver (oil field, wet welding, marine construction, bridge stuff, ship husbandry) and I was in a certain installations potable water supply. Now, no one had been in it in 65 years.... Well back in the day they used to have mercury gauges I guess and daily the maintenance guys would top off the gauges. When a gauge was over flowed or the container of mercury was spilled it went right into the drinking water... So after 65 years they call us up and want a inspection for some sort of new federal guidelines.... ok, fine enough. SO im doing my thing underwater way back in this tank about 265 foot back. And guess what I find, mercury. I can only claim I found 20 lbs... and I also will say that a certain installation continues to drink that water everyday that I was swimming around in.... Now, at the time I found it I realized my Kevlar/neoprene dry suit was probably no the thing I should be wearing... anyway, no point to the story except we don't always want to know the details of everything! I did try to get them to buy me a new suit.. $3K...cheap ******* wouldn't do it. All I got out of it was a paycheck and some heavy metal testing...

Comment

Originally posted by shayno View Post
      Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know the two were reactive together. As I stated earlier, I had found over 20 lbs of liquid mercury last summer. How I found it is a good story. I am a commercial diver (oil field, wet welding, marine construction, bridge stuff, ship husbandry) and I was in a certain installations potable water supply. Now, no one had been in it in 65 years.... Well back in the day they used to have mercury gauges I guess and daily the maintenance guys would top off the gauges. When a gauge was over flowed or the container of mercury was spilled it went right into the drinking water... So after 65 years they call us up and want a inspection for some sort of new federal guidelines.... ok, fine enough. SO im doing my thing underwater way back in this tank about 265 foot back. And guess what I find, mercury. I can only claim I found 20 lbs... and I also will say that a certain installation continues to drink that water everyday that I was swimming around in.... Now, at the time I found it I realized my Kevlar/neoprene dry suit was probably no the thing I should be wearing... anyway, no point to the story except we don't always want to know the details of everything! I did try to get them to buy me a new suit.. $3K...cheap ******* wouldn't do it. All I got out of it was a paycheck and some heavy metal testing...
      In my high school science class the teacher came around with a gallon jug of mercury on a cart (gallon of it is like 100lbs) and dipped out a half a cup on everyone's' station. For a month we played with mercury in class doing experiments. At the end he gathered it up and retorted it (distilled it) to bring it back to clean pure mercury. One of the emperors of Chinna drank a glass or more of liquid mercury every day and lived into his 80s or 90s.

Dangers of handling liquid mercury are WAY overblown, pretty harmless unless you vaporize it like the light bulbs do. Here in Phoenix there is a pass through the hills called Dreamy Draw. The name comes from all the gold miners cooking the mercury off their quick silver (gold/mercury amalgam) every night and getting all dreamy off the vapors . . . those boys teeth fell out like crack heads today and they died quite young.
      Andy
      On the web= C-lazy-F.co
      Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
      Call/Text 602-315-2406
      Phoenix Arizona

Comment

The production of lead acetate requires more than hydrogen peroxide, acetic acid, and lead. The production process also requires lots of very high heat. The heat is what causes the lead and acid to form crystals which are fairly harmless unless the crystals are then vaporized and you breath the vapors. The same danger exists for anyone who casts bullets and breaths the vapors. If using hydrogen peroxide and vinegar to clean lead deposits from a gun barrel concerns you just don't use the stuff.

Comment

Chor Boy

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
          Same as for lead fouling in wheelguns: pull a few strands out of a pad of bronze wool and wrap around your bronze bore brush. Removes lead clean as a whistle.
          Yep. Chor Boy copper pads work well also. Get them in the dishwashing isle at the grocery store. Just a few strands wrapped around an old bore brush. Box of pads will last a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack View Post
            Yep. Chor Boy copper pads work well also. Get them in the dishwashing isle at the grocery store. Just a few strands wrapped around an old bore brush. Box of pads will last a long time.
            Sure, they're extremely effective...
            but they're not messy, difficult, dangerous, or extraordinarily toxic...so where's the fun in that? :rolleyes:
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X