Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back At The Table: Making .338 A-Square Brass Is A Pain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back At The Table: Making .338 A-Square Brass Is A Pain...

Alrighty then;back into the story. A couple of weeks ago I sent a die back to CH4D to have it looked at because I thought the radius at the neck/shoulder may not have been properly made. Well I found out I was in the wrong, not the manufacturer. Take home message: Read The Instructions.

1. Lube and run into forming die.
    2. Trim and run into neck ream die and ream.
    3. Run into full-length die and load'em up.

I tried full-length sizing without reaming = bad; the thicker brass was causing the little imperfection at the neck/shoulder. Oh, the die I received back from CH4D is in fact polished to a gleaming surface inside.

So since I had a free day I reamed 50, formed, flashhole deburred, .378 Weatherby cases. Now I am trimming them. Yes, I didn't read the instructions. But it's working. I will note that .378 brass takes significantly more effort to make the final shoulder push-back in the full-length sizing die. Next time I will buy more .338/378 brass.

I only have 46 more to go. Then I'll ream the primer pockets and be ready to load. A pain, but it sure is fun. When my arm gets tired from spinning the trimmer I read a chapter of my latest fav book.

I hope to load some shells next week and ladder-up IMR-7828, RL-25, RL-33, and Retumbo to see what gives me a good combination of pressure and accuracy.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Originally posted by Nitroman View Post
    Read The Instructions.
    Red Green said it best:

I'm a man,
    But I can change,
    If I have to,
    I guess.

Good post with lots of insights for anyone reforming brass. Some are easier and some aren't. But there's always a harder way to do anything!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
      There's always a harder way to do anything!
      Now there is wisdom!
      Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Comment

338-06 brass

It is simple. Take fired 30-06 brass and run it into your sizing die. This is no big deal, I promise. J.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRgr View Post
          It is simple. Take fired 30-06 brass and run it into your sizing die. This is no big deal, I promise. J.
          s

338-06 is not the same cartridge as 338 a-square.........a huge difference actually

nitro has it under control

Comment

Originally posted by mtbikeguy View Post
            Originally posted by OldRgr View Post
            338-06 is not the same cartridge as 338 a-square.........a huge difference actually

nitro has it under control
            A while back, I got sucked into this thread in the same way...deleted my post when I realized my mistake. Yup, 338-06 "A-square" (or not), is not the same animal as "338 A-square".
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
              A while back, I got sucked into this thread in the same way...deleted my post when I realized my mistake. Yup, 338-06 "A-square" (or not), is not the same animal as "338 A-square".
              I know I fell on my face (informational post-wise), by not showing before, during and after photos of the cases. I will get a couple of fired cases from a fellow I know who has a .378W. I'll get them up so folks can see the difference.

The .338'06 is a near duplicate of the .318 Westley-Richards but with vastly easier to find components.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X