do you resize new casings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you resize new casings?

I just reloaded new nickel rem casings, I dint resize them and they require some force closing the bolt, will this be an issue? they are accurate and eject fine.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

So long as you can get the bolt closed to your satisfaction, they won't be an issue. If you prefer them a little looser, you can fix that next time you load them, but no need to break them down just because they close a little snug.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

I always resize the necks, and only the necks. They're often dinged a little or slightly out of round. Without it, once in a while I've had a bullet fail to start correctly and crush a new case. Neck sizing is an easy fix/preventive measure.
      "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
      Merle Haggard

Comment

I always treat new brass the same as range pickups. FL size, trim, the whole routine. It's production line stuff, so is suspect by my judgement.
        "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Comment

thanks everyone!
          Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
          www.kodiakcombos.com

Comment

Yup, always full length size and trim new so its all uniform.
            Andy
            On the web= C-lazy-F.co
            Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
            Call/Text 602-315-2406
            Phoenix Arizona

Comment

I've only neck sized new Remington brass and been just fine, as taiga noted if you can get the bolt closed your good. I've had a little trouble flaring cases out when crimping and shooting them after a hard bolt close has re shaped them perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup, like Andy and gunbugs I treat factory new like range pickup.

Biggest problem I have observed on my bench is stuff enough out of round that bullets don't seat correctly.

If yours are accurate and eject fine and "some" force on the bolt isn't too bad I probably wouldn't break them down either.

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                  I always resize the necks, and only the necks. They're often dinged a little or slightly out of round. Without it, once in a while I've had a bullet fail to start correctly and crush a new case. Neck sizing is an easy fix/preventive measure.
                  Yep, Same here

Comment

Yes, resize the necks at least. If you don't you won't have the same tension on the bullet as you will the next time after you resize. Best answer is do a full length resize and oh by the way...check length too...factory QC sucks.
                    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiakcombo View Post
                      I just reloaded new nickel rem casings, I dint resize them and they require some force closing the bolt, will this be an issue? they are accurate and eject fine.
                      Neck size only had issues with new Lapua brass on my 9.3 X 62 once, my fault bumped shoulders back to far and they would not fire. Had to bump
                      neck up then back down to create a false shoulder. A real pain and expense esp. with good brass to begin with.

Lesson learned I fireform cases first then size brass to my specific chamber.

Comment

I FL size and trim all new brass. I also give them a good inspection. I loaded with new brass for several years and can not remember finding a bad caseing in a batch. It is not that way now. I feel lucky if I don't have a bad case or two in each pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Cast Iron View Post
                          I FL size and trim all new brass. I also give them a good inspection. I loaded with new brass for several years and can not remember finding a bad caseing in a batch. It is not that way now. I feel lucky if I don't have a bad case or two in each pack.
                          Good point.

I've had cases from Winchester that had faults making them unusable.

When sizing NEW brass, the die barely touches it, as it doesn't need much sizing. But DO, put a dab of lube on the base of the case. I stuck one, one time ago, sizing NEW brass without lubing.

Of course, my experiences may not be the same as that of others.

Smitty of the North
                          Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                          Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                          You can't out-give God.

Comment

Yep, I use my std setting on FL sizer die which is just shy of the shoulder on fired cases in that rifle. About ten years ago I bought a bag of 50 new Win 300H&H brass and had two with split necks.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                              ...Winchester....
                              The worst of the worst for wahoos in cases.

Dinged necks, crushed necks, split necks, neck mouths glaringly uneven and sometimes just plain too short on one side, no flash holes, partly blocked flash holes.... You can just about name any case fault and sooner or later you're going to find it in Winnie cases.

Don't get me wrong. I love Winnie cases, but every batch of new ones needs to be inspected carefully. I'm in the habit of buying 10 boxes or 200 cases at a time (however they're packaged) for a "batch" of same-age cases to go through life together. I can't remember the last time I came out with 200 useable cases from a batch of 200.
                              "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                              Merle Haggard

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X