No announcement yet.

Spring;Time to Bring Out the Big Guns!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring;Time to Bring Out the Big Guns!

The big bears are waking up, there is already sign around the Southeast and Southcentral areas.
    Most who plan on hunting are at least scoutin' around.
    I figure some of you are dustin' off the hand cannons.

What is everyone carrying this year?

What kind of a rig are you wearing for these summer hikes and hunts?
    :question:

Here is mine(better pic) .45 Colt Ruger Redhawk and Alaskan Backpacker chest rig.
    Attached Files
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I'm carrying the same old Ruger Blackhawk in 41Mag I've been carrying for the last 25years or so. I just use an Uncle Mikes hip holster. It's loaded with home made jacketed 270gr bullets at 1200fps. It's not really a hand cannon but I think it will work.

Comment

Nice.... What load are you shooting?

Comment

I will be shooting a 335 grain LFN at around 1100 fps from Alaska Backpacker ammo(same name as the holster?weird)
        I do reload, but I'm new, so the first couple years my hunting and defense rounds will be premium factory.
        And btw Rbuck, that definately counts as a hand cannon! Great caliber, IMHO.
        "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

Freedom arms m 83 field grade 475 Linebaugh. Carried in a Mernickle cross draw holster. Very comforting, and comfortable.

Comment

4" 500 S&W, shoulder holster,

Comment

S&W 460V in a chest rig for 4 years now.
              Andy
              On the web= C-lazy-F.co
              Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
              Call/Text 602-315-2406
              Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Same old 44 redhawk I've had for 20 years, cross draw, 310 gr cast Gc I make, With a healthy dose of IMR 4227.
                Alex

Comment

No outings as yet, cept takin the Little Brown Dawgie out to pee after dark. For that I pack a Ruger Bearcat, 22 LR.

I'll be carrying my S&W Mdl 29, with 6" barrel, in a Chest holster, OR a Hip holster, when I go into the beeg swamps.

It's loaded with 300 grain CP WFN GC bullets NOT loaded to the MAX.

My Ruger New Mdl Blackhawk, with 6.5" barrel, 180 grain CP WFN GCs and 13 grains of H110 is another option.

The 44 is probably the one I'll use the most, if for no other reason than the Chest Holster is most comfortable, and out of the way.

I'll be shooting them BOTH in the coming days, for practice, familiarization etc.

Smitty of the North
                  Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                  Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                  You can't out-give God.

Comment

Hunting probably nothing but the long gun. For hiking I will either drag along my new (to me) ruger MkII or my EAA 10mm, just depends on where I am going.

Comment

LU: I've been looking for a EAA witness in 10mm since the first time I read the reviews. Perfect Alaskan gun and caliber for the semi-auto fan. Northen security has you covered if you ever need serious ammo.
                      Smitty:GNG in Anc has some 200 grain bullets from cast performance(?), might be a neat idea for reloading your .357 that I know you love so much
                      Akmik:You dog. That is one fine pistol. Thanks for the stunning addition to the thread.
                      Andy and aaa, I'd love some pics. Thanks guys.

Comment

I still need to order the stiffer spring for my EAA. I have put a few of the 230grn DT's through it and they are definitely too much for the stocker! DT has the springs and hi-cap mags last time I checked, just one more thing on the pile of stuff to do when I get back stateside! I am also going to work some magic on one of the AK guide holsters to get it to work with my bino chest pack.

Comment

I put Wolff springs in my Witness 10, I think I changed the firing pin spring as well. Its been a while. Its a great truck gun, nothing fancy and 15 rounds of 10mm is nothing to sneeze at! Its pretty heavy though, probably my only complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenmm View Post
                            I put Wolff springs in my Witness 10, I think I changed the firing pin spring as well. Its been a while. Its a great truck gun, nothing fancy and 15 rounds of 10mm is nothing to sneeze at! Its pretty heavy though, probably my only complaint.
                            That is what I plan to do with mine. I had it Durracoated since the "wonder finish" lacks any "wonder" when it comes to preventing rust. Definitely a hefty side arm compared to something like an XD converted to 460R but not bad on the pocket book and it is slimmer than my redhawk so it tends to stay out of the way better.

Comment

I usually carry my Redhawk 44 Mag on a Bianchi hip hoster. I like to run the 340 grain buffalo bores through it for bear protection. I got a 460 S&W Mag for christmas but its the 8 3/8 XVR, I am hoping to take my first black bear with it this year.
                              Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
                              "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
                              I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X