Help with a DA Colt .45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a DA Colt .45

My dad was given a Colt .45 DA revolver by an elderly friend of his. The friend says he carried it as a border patrol officer in the 60's. It is blued with a black grip and a 4" barrel. I have been trying to find out what model it is but I am stumped. The only marking is the .45 long colt stamped on the barrel and the serial #. Thanks for any help. The gun is in Oregon but I am going to have my dad take a cell hone pic (if I can coach him through it).

Good chance that it's a Colt New Service model of 1917.
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/926278301...SERVICE_45.htm

Comment

I think you are right. According to the serial number it was made in 1914. I was thinking this gun was much more modern. I'm pretty surprised.

Comment

It seems that most of the 1914's were chambered for .455 and sent to England. According to the proofhouse website the gun was built in 1914 ( S/N 685xx). It looks more like the 1917's. Is there a way to figure out when it was built for sure. Serial number on the barrel matches the frame so I don't think it was rechambered.

Comment

Could possibly help if you post a pic or two of this handgun?
          Steve
          "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Comment

Is this a 45 Colt caliber, 45 Schofield, 45 ACP or what?
            A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

.45 Colt. It still says long Colt on the barrel. The gun is in OR.

Comment

That sounds like a great keepsake.
                A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Oh, and pictures would be way coool!:topjob::topjob:
                  Andy
                  On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                  Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                  Call/Text 602-315-2406
                  Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Terrible cell phone pic texted to me.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like Cotl but never seen a Colt marked Long Colt as the round never was.
                      Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

sounds like a COLT .455 webley

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
                          Looks like Cotl but never seen a Colt marked Long Colt as the round never was.
                          Then why was there a short colt? The Long & Short of the .45 Colt
                          http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ta...short_colt.htm
                          "...Some newcomers to the game claim there is no such animal, but if they had shot the short variety that Remington turned out in such profusion before, during and after World War I they would see there was some basis in referring to the .45 Colt as the .45 Long..." (Sixguns, page 285)

There was a Long Colt because there was a Short Colt and a 45 Schofield, all would work in the "73 colt but not all would work in the Schofleld or #3 S&W

Comment

Originally posted by Hayduke View Post
                            .45 Colt. It still says long Colt on the barrel. The gun is in OR.
                            Interesting. All of the New Service 45's I have seen are stamped " Colt DA 45" on the barrel. Like Will I never saw a Colt gun marked "Long Colt". Nothing to do with with the silly debates that go on and on and on about calling the cartridge "long" either.

It is kind of hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it had a lanyard ring?

Cool gun no matter what it is.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Big Muddy View Post
                              Interesting. All of the New Service 45's I have seen are stamped " Colt DA 45" on the barrel. Like Will I never saw a Colt gun marked "Long Colt". Nothing to do with with the silly debates that go on and on and on about calling the cartridge "long" either.

It is kind of hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it had a lanyard ring?

Cool gun no matter what it is.

Dan
                              Yes, perhaps a RCMP gun?
                              Steve
                              "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X