Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.44 Mag Hard Cast Ammo Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • .44 Mag Hard Cast Ammo Question

    Hi,

    I'm hoping for advise from some of you folks that may have experience using heavy .44 mag Hard Cast ammo in the the 300 - 320 grain bullet size range. The handgun I'll be carrying these in is a S&W 629 w/ 6" barrel. The purpose is for self defense, in the rare case that a large and furry creature in Alaska decides it's really PO'ed at me. Last resort option, needless to say.

    I've Googled around a bit as well as done some reading here and found some manufacturers that I'm familiar with and some others not too much. Names that have come up so far are:

    Garretts
    Federal
    Cor-Bon
    Buffalo Bore
    Double Tap

    Hoping to hear from folks who may be familar with some of these cartidges. Might any of you folks have an opinion as to which you like best?

    I haven't tracked down all the ballistics info on each of the cartridges yet, but here's some sample info from Garrett's for example, http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44defendertech.html


    Lastly, am I right in thinking that it's maximum ft.lbs. of energy that going to determine stopping power? Garrett's has an interesting viewpoint on this. http://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html


    Thanks for any advise you'ld like to throw this way.

    - Jay

  • #2
    Originally posted by oldmil007 View Post
    Hi,

    I'm hoping for advise from some of you folks that may have experience using heavy .44 mag Hard Cast ammo in the the 300 - 320 grain bullet size range. The handgun I'll be carrying these in is a S&W 629 w/ 6" barrel. The purpose is for self defense, in the rare case that a large and furry creature in Alaska decides it's really PO'ed at me. Last resort option, needless to say.

    I've Googled around a bit as well as done some reading here and found some manufacturers that I'm familiar with and some others not too much. Names that have come up so far are:

    Garretts
    Federal
    Cor-Bon
    Buffalo Bore
    Double Tap

    Hoping to hear from folks who may be familar with some of these cartidges. Might any of you folks have an opinion as to which you like best?

    I haven't tracked down all the ballistics info on each of the cartridges yet, but here's some sample info from Garrett's for example, http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44defendertech.html


    Lastly, am I right in thinking that it's maximum ft.lbs. of energy that going to determine stopping power? Garrett's has an interesting viewpoint on this. http://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html


    Thanks for any advise you'ld like to throw this way.

    - Jay
    Any of the loads that you listed will work fine for you. I have shot a lot of the Buffalo Bore and Grizzly ammo fodder and both are excellent.

    FPE is not a good way to rate lethality

    Comment


    • #3
      "stopping power" in a handgun is a bullet penetrating far enough to hopefully take out the CNS. Whether it's a .500 at 1000fps or a .430 at 1300. The lead has to get through the bone and muscle to hit something vital.

      I have shot the 300gr Federal CastCore in my SBH 44mag, 7.5 inch barrel over a chronograph. They were right 1300fps.
      A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

      Comment


      • #4
        I have to say, control is as imortant as FPofE, IMO. I would find the heaviest, fastest bullet you can double tap into a pie plate at 10-20 yards.
        (If you do not reload)Whatver you chose, please buy Alaskan, and chose Alaska Backpacker Ammo or ammosmith.com.
        Thanks for your consideration!
        "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

        Comment


        • #5
          Cor Bon is the way to go

          Comment


          • #6
            What brands do you guys sell?

            Originally posted by Wildalaska View Post
            Cor Bon is the way to go
            Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
            ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tvfinak View Post
              What brands do you guys sell?
              Cor Bon, HSM and Fiocchi although Fiocchi is only 240 grainers

              Comment


              • #8
                Off subject a bit, do you guys have any Cor Bon .380 DPX in stock?
                "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Snyd View Post
                  "stopping power" in a handgun is a bullet penetrating far enough to hopefully take out the CNS. Whether it's a .500 at 1000fps or a .430 at 1300. The lead has to get through the bone and muscle to hit something vital.

                  I have shot the 300gr Federal CastCore in my SBH 44mag, 7.5 inch barrel over a chronograph. They were right 1300fps.
                  +1 and I'd rather have a Ruger Redhawk or Super Blackhawk instead of your S&W 629 with heavy bullets you mentioned?
                  Steve
                  "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Since the purpose of the gun is carrying for self-defense with factory loads why would anyone want the heavier bulkier Redhawk or SRH?


                    Originally posted by S.B. View Post
                    +1 and I'd rather have a Ruger Redhawk or Super Blackhawk instead of your S&W 629 with heavy bullets you mentioned?
                    Steve
                    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
                    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If this thread also turns into a Redhawk vs 629 argument I am going to gouge my eyes out. This is getting ridiculous, open a new thread named redhawk vs 629 (aka. my frankfurter is bigger than yours) and fight about it till you are blue in the face. Getting back to the original question Snyd and Tailwind summed it up in the first few replies.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Anyone planning to carry for self protection needs to practice plenty especially with these hand cannon loads mentioned, don't you think?
                        Steve
                        "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by S.B. View Post
                          Anyone planning to carry for self protection needs to practice plenty especially with these hand cannon loads mentioned, don't you think?
                          Steve
                          Ya, I seem to remember a post from Professor Murphy, one of our AOD Pistoleros, who said that shooting about 600lbs of lead is a good start. That's 600 POUNDS not 600 ROUNDS. That's about 12000 350gr boolits. I'm still working on it.
                          A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tailwind View Post
                            Off subject a bit, do you guys have any Cor Bon .380 DPX in stock?
                            all out right now

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tvfinak View Post
                              Since the purpose of the gun is carrying for self-defense with factory loads why would anyone want the heavier bulkier Redhawk or SRH?
                              Very simple! The S&W can not take the heavy recoil of 300 gr and over boolits for long. The cylinder unlocking pin can peen and you will not be able to open the cylinder. The cylinder latch can come unlocked and rotate the cylinder so the next needed shot will just go "click."
                              Think part inertia!
                              I would not go over 265 gr in a S&W 29 or 629 and it has nothing to do with pressure.
                              True, you can shoot a heavy boolit slow but what does a 320 gr boolit gain at 900 fps? Anything that increases the recoil in a S&W can cause grief when the gun is needed. You need to sight in and practice a lot when recoil is increased and that shortens the time until failure when you need the gun most.
                              Sorry, but it is true and is why I recommend a Ruger for heavy boolits.
                              A S&W is a GREAT gun but don't defend it for something it can't do.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X