handguns and age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handguns and age

18+ for longguns and 21+ for handguns is state law correct?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Yep, federal law as well (for what that's worth)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by Akheloce View Post
      Yep, federal law as well (for what that's worth)
      let me rephrase, or stand corrected... was unable after a cursory search to find an ALASKAN law which prohibits ownership of a handgun/longgun with respect to age (other than a restriction of 21 years old to conceal a firearm). However the federal law is what you stated when purchasing from a FFL, however, was unable (with a brief cursory search) to find anything prohibiting handguns from being transferred privately from/to someone over the age of 18 (but not necessarily 21)
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Relevant Statutes:

AS 11.61.220. Misconduct Involving Weapons in the Fifth Degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person
        (3) being an unemancipated minor under 16 years of age, possesses a firearm without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor;
        (6) is less than 21 years of age and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon, that is concealed on the person.

Then, federal law applies. I believe the Gun Control of 1968 is the governing statutes, and the rules should be:
        - 21 to purchase a handgun
        - 18 to purchase a rifle or shotgun in any state, EXCEPT for pistol gripped longguns which have no stock (21 everywhere)
        - 18 to purchase a firearm in a private party sale from a resident of the same state

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf
        478.99 Certain prohibited sales or
        deliveries.

Then from the ATF (same link):
        Ammunition interchangeable between
        rifles and handguns (such as .22 caliber
        rimfire) may be sold to an individual 18
        years of age, but less than 21, if the
        licensee is satisfied that the ammunition
        is being acquired for use in a rifle.
        (b) Sales or deliveries to underaged
        persons. A licensed importer, licensed
        manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed
        collector shall not sell or deliver (1) any
        firearm or ammunition to any individual
        who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or
        collector knows or has reasonable cause
        to believe is less than 18 years of age,
        and, if the firearm, or ammunition, is other
        than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a
        shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the
        importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector
        knows or has reasonable cause to believe
        is less than 21 years of age, or (2) any
        firearm to any person in any State where
        the purchase or possession by such person
        of such firearm would be in violation of
        any State law or any published ordinance
        applicable at the place of sale, delivery, or
        other disposition, unless the importer,
        manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows
        or has reasonable cause to believe that
        the purchase or possession would not be
        in violation of such State law or such published
        ordinance.

Additionally, it generally is unlawful
        for a person to transfer a handgun to a
        juvenile (a person less than 18 years of
        age) and it generally is unlawful for a
        juvenile to possess a handgun. Exceptions
        are provided for the transfer of a
        handgun to and possession by a juvenile
        for the purposes of employment,
        ranching, farming, target practice or
        hunting as provided for in 18 U.S.C.
        922(x).

Comment

Originally posted by ironartist View Post
          18+ for longguns and 21+ for handguns is state law correct?
          Yes for Fed as in buying them but state is far more friendly (and complicated) for possession. Basically possession is age 16, buy them at age 18, and concealed them at age 21 under Alaska State law and I find no distinction between handgun and long gun under Alaska State law like there is with the Federal law.

The age 18 to buy comes from AS 11.61.210. Misconduct Involving Weapons in the Fourth Degree They hit the seller not the kid.
          Andy
          On the web= C-lazy-F.co
          Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
          Call/Text 602-315-2406
          Phoenix Arizona

Comment

If you get caught selling a handgun to someone under 18 be prepared to take the ride
            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

nittanybone, please fix the pdf link you have referenced in your post. This has been reported to me as broken. I can't seem to find the pdf that it needs to be replaced with. Thanks, Icebear

Comment

Terrible laws that do nothing at all. Mental cases can be any age. When does age say you are sane?
                I was under 18 when I ordered my first .44 mag Ruger through the mail. Turned 18 when it arrived in the MAIL. I had my first .357 when 16. Bought all kinds of rifles at the gun shop as a kid. Most on store credit with no interest. Many paid off with paper route money.
                Those laws have only benefited criminals and liberals. Political correctness.
                You can die for your country but can't buy a beer until 21!
                As a punk kid I went fishing with a .44 mag on the hip. You could take a gun to school so you could hunt after.
                This country has lost values. Kids are taught wrong.
                Why would you deny a kid in Alaska a gun?

Comment

handguns and age
                  And here I thought you were talking about geezers with guns!
                  "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                  Merle Haggard

Comment

Plus one to bfrshooter and brown bear.

Comment

BB, yeah, I checked in to see what was being said about me and find out the talk is about the other end of the age thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rbuck351 View Post
                        BB, yeah, I checked in to see what was being said about me and find out the talk is about the other end of the age thing.
                        Me too. My age has affected my shooting. At least, that's my excuse.

Smitty of the North
                        Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                        Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                        You can't out-give God.

Comment

GCA 68 is the law but I believe most of the restrictions come from ATF regs that implement the law. Regs can be changed at anytime by authorized officials or executive order...so...we must be careful what is done by the current regime. It's like the new EPA regs restrictiong coal fired electric plants that implement the Clean Air Act...government bureaucrats run a-muck.
                          Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrider View Post
                            GCA 68 is the law but I believe most of the restrictions come from ATF regs that implement the law. Regs can be changed at anytime by authorized officials or executive order...so...we must be careful what is done by the current regime. It's like the new EPA regs restrictiong coal fired electric plants that implement the Clean Air Act...government bureaucrats run a-muck.
                            It is law not regulation, it's spelled out in GCA. At the link go to page 6 of 28 page 1218 of whatever book they scanned and see it highlighted in pencil.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE...2-Pg1213-2.pdf

I sure agree on the run a-muck EPA alphabet soup quagmire choking the life out of the country.
                            Andy
                            On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                            Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                            Call/Text 602-315-2406
                            Phoenix Arizona

Comment

A good example of the making up the rules is the Aces Armor deal down in California. They were selling 80% lowers based on ATF letters on other 80% lowers, only change was the color of the 20% to be removed was altered. ATF has a fit and calls them firearms. Well all the law clearly defines "firearms" and says nothing about 80%. under word of law it is or ain't, it says nothing about percentages at all. Under the word of the law 99.99% of a firearm does not a firearm make. Enter ATF, someone asks do you think my product a firearm, they wright a opinion letter, that letter gets referred to in court for whatever reason and BAM ATF's opinion just became defacto law that they can change pretty much at well.
                              Andy
                              On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                              Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                              Call/Text 602-315-2406
                              Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X