Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colt SAA now Arizona State gun!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Colt SAA now Arizona State gun!

    This is way cool . . . also Utah is considering the 1911 as the Utah State gun.
    http://www.kvue.com/news/national/116738619.html
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  • #2
    whats the Alaska state gun? better be a ruger.
    sigpic


    Release Lake Trout

    Comment


    • #3
      I suspect if alaska decided on one it would be something that was popular pre state days.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ADfields View Post
        This is way cool . . . also Utah is considering the 1911 as the Utah State gun.
        http://www.kvue.com/news/national/116738619.html
        Thanks for tellin, AD:

        It's "Good News", and a good choice for any of the Western States, I would think.

        Also, a good strategy, to help foil the Anti-Gun crowd.

        Alaska is a NEW State, so a Ruger Blackhawk would be suitable.

        I don't know that handguns were widely used for Bear Protection in the old days, until Ruger made affordable 357's and 44 Mags. available in the Blackhawks.

        I only go back to 1961, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the Blackhawk did make some handgun history in the Greatland, maybe more than any other handgun.

        Smitty of the North
        Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
        Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
        You can't out-give God.

        Comment


        • #5
          What a splendid idea, a state gun, yeeehaw! I think we need one also. The S&W Mod.1917 .45 Colt came to my mind first, then I thought , no it should be a S&W Mod. 29 in .44 Mag. But now I realize the one that did the most shooting was the wonderful .22 Colt Woodsman that many old timers had. Although the Colt Series 70 1911 in .45 caliber bests describes many of us, I like that!

          Comment


          • #6
            I think it was decided that the state gun was a rifle. Like a 30-06, .375 or a Mosin or something like that. FWIW, my vote was the model 29, too.

            I really like those SAA's, or any colt really. Does SC AK have any SASS action going on?
            "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tailwind View Post
              I really like those SAA's, or any colt really. Does SC AK have any SASS action going on?
              Yup, they shoot at Birchwood.

              Their website address is below.

              http://alaska49ers.pistolshooting.com/sass.html
              Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
              Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
              You can't out-give God.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by .338 mag. View Post
                What a splendid idea, a state gun, yeeehaw! I think we need one also. The S&W Mod.1917 .45 Colt came to my mind first, then I thought , no it should be a S&W Mod. 29 in .44 Mag. But now I realize the one that did the most shooting was the wonderful .22 Colt Woodsman that many old timers had. Although the Colt Series 70 1911 in .45 caliber bests describes many of us, I like that!
                It needs to be something "Historical", for sure.

                A State "Hand Gun", could be chambered for a number of different cartridges.

                I'm covered with both the Ruger Blackhawk, and the S&W Mdl 29, that was also very popular.

                I'm also thinking something like starmac. What did they use before Statehood?

                What is more or less, Unique to the Greatland?

                I heard about the the 22 Colt Woodsman. Were they popular with Trappers? Enough to be significant?

                Oh wal, IMO, there are other more important things about Arizona, that Alaska should mimic.

                Smitty of the North
                Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                You can't out-give God.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ruger Blackhawk 44mag came out in 1956, just 3 years before Alaska Statehood. Being affordable and big power I bet it was very common in the Alaskan backcountry by 1959. To me the Blackhawk 44mag would be the way to go for Alaska State handgun even though I donít like 44mag myself. Blackhawk is a tip of the hat to the Colt SAA that would have been on the belts of many a gold rushing hopeful lugging their gear up the pass out of Skagway. 44mag Blackhawk was borne as a modern updated version of the handgun that settled the West but made with less expensive cast steel technology to once again make it the affordable equalizer. And they are still very common, still made and still used all over Alaska.
                  Andy
                  On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                  Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                  Call/Text 602-315-2406
                  Phoenix Arizona

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ADfields View Post
                    Ruger Blackhawk 44mag came out in 1956, just 3 years before Alaska Statehood. Being affordable and big power I bet it was very common in the Alaskan backcountry by 1959. To me the Blackhawk 44mag would be the way to go for Alaska State handgun even though I donít like 44mag myself. Blackhawk is a tip of the hat to the Colt SAA that would have been on the belts of many a gold rushing hopeful lugging their gear up the pass out of Skagway. 44mag Blackhawk was borne as a modern updated version of the handgun that settled the West but made with less expensive cast steel technology to once again make it the affordable equalizer. And they are still very common, still made and still used all over Alaska.
                    Like I was sayin, the Blackhawk doesn't have to be a 44 Mag. It could be 357, though I agree the 44 made a bigger impact.

                    Yeah, I wonder how many Colt 45, SAAs were packed up the Chilkoot trail.

                    I don't know when Ruger started making the Blackhawk in 45 Colt, and the first time I heard, a guy told me he was loading, whatever the standard bullet weight ??? to 1000 fps. He was the first to tell me that for bears you needed "penetration".

                    Smitty of the North
                    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                    You can't out-give God.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So what, did we just decide the AK state handgun is a Ruger Blackhawk?
                      Well if not I'm sayin' it now.
                      Do I have a second?
                      "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I would vote for the Blackhawk, it seems fitting. Would be nice if Ruger would make a limited run of them with special "Alaska State Handgun" markings!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'll second it, and give my Proxy to AD.

                          Smitty of the North
                          Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                          Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                          You can't out-give God.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yeah, I'd vote for the Blackhawk too. Mebbe we can send an AOD resolution to the Legislature for them to act on it.
                            Now what ?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
                              I would vote for the Blackhawk, it seems fitting. Would be nice if Ruger would make a limited run of them with special "Alaska State Handgun" markings!

                              Did I just blow your mind?
                              Attached Files
                              "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X