Self defense hand gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self defense hand gun

What's do you guy's recommend for a tent gun or carry gun. I'am sure it's been talked about a hundred times, would you pick a short barrel or the longer for better distance? Or do you just rely on your rifle.
    sigpic

Kinda depends on what you are protecting yourself against. If it's for bear then your rifle would be the best option, but a .44 would work. If it's predators of the two-legged kind you fear than a .40, .357, would be sufficient. I would carry a mid-sized firearm, not too bulky but still accurate enough to get the job done. Just my opinion.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Comment

Hey Doug, 2 legged one' s that should be more like varmit shooting. Thanks for serving.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HuntNBgame View Post
        Hey Doug, 2 legged one' s that should be more like varmit shooting. Thanks for serving.
        Well that is true. Then in that case I would opt for an AR type rifle w/ high capacity mags. No problem.
        Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Comment

Yea, but the rounds sould atleast be barnes varmit grenades:eek:
          sigpic

Comment

sleeping in the tent gun? don't matter what cal... just file off the front sight.

fits in your mouth better............
            "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Tent

Unless you are in a large wall tent, try swinging a rifle around in a two or four man tent with a bear outside and your buddy screaming like a school girl. The biggest cal handgun with the most capacity, that you can handle and shoot well. Tritium sights, laser sights or mounted flash light, not a bad idea either. .02.

Comment

I started with a Blackhawk 357, then a Blackhawk 45, and now have a S&W 460V. I felt safe all over the lower 48 with the 357 but when I moved to Alaska I felt under gunned so went to the 45. Last summer with all the bear stuff I started looking for a 454 to up the anti and sleep a bit better and found that the 460V will shoot 45 and 454 as well as the huge 460 Mag. That was the selling point to me and I love it and plan to hunt with it also this year.

One other thing I do is use a lanyard loop in the bottom of the grip to tie a lanyard to my wrist with about 2 foot of slack. This way if the tent is collapsed by a bear I have some chance to drag the gun to me instead of wondering where it may have went inside the tent. I sleep better knowing I have that little cord keeping the gun with me.
                Andy
                On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                Call/Text 602-315-2406
                Phoenix Arizona

Comment

What's do you guy's recommend for a tent gun or carry gun. I'am sure it's been talked about a hundred times, would you pick a short barrel or the longer for better distance? Or do you just rely on your rifle.
                  If I am in a tent I am not concerned about distance so a short barrel is fine - Sigma 40, Para13 45, redhawk 44, security six 357, or 870 (all depends on what state/country the tent is set up in)

If I am carrying CC then smaller and easier to move in and out of the truck with - J frame .38 is fine.

If open carry then the old 5.5 redhawk is fine.

If I was to want to use a pistol for distance work then a longer barrel would be called for. However, the redhawk is good to 50 yards if I practice enough so I am covered.

If walk in hunting then the rifle and the .22 MarkII if I know I could get some birds in the area.

Comment

Hey thanks guys, I'am still laughing at jmt9 post. You know that ones real! ADfields the 460 is the gun I had in mind, I also like the 3 different rounds,the lanyard in the tent is a good idea. I heard there pretty loud.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey thanks guys, I'am still laughing at jmt9 post. You know that ones real! ADfields the 460 is the gun I had in mind, I also like the 3 different rounds,the lanyard in the tent is a good idea. I heard there pretty loud.
                      Ya, it's got a shock wave that will give you a headache from 10 rounds of hot 395 grain hot 460 loads. I would never shoot 460s at an inside range even if they would let me! With 454 or 45 ammo its not any louder than a Redhawk 454, just the full 460 ammo is loud but its also shockingly potent. I have people say you need double ear protection but I find my muffs are all I need. :rolleyes:

I love ~ love ~ love my 460V!!
                      Andy
                      On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                      Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                      Call/Text 602-315-2406
                      Phoenix Arizona

Comment

A good "tent" gun...

Single shot, big bore... but it's IS in a tent.
                        Last edited by JOAT; 08-27-2009, 09:27.
                        Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

Howitzer???

Originally posted by JOAT View Post
                          Single shot, big bore... but it's IS in a tent.
                          My first thought was How do you get the bear if front of the muzzle when its 10 foot high?:confused:

But then it dawned on me that just the report from that inside the tent would surely discourage even the meanest critter in Alaska!

Dont forget to sleep with your hearing protection on though.:eek:
                          Andy
                          On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                          Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                          Call/Text 602-315-2406
                          Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by AK Ray View Post
                            If I am carrying CC then smaller and easier to move in and out of the truck with - J frame .38 is fine.
                            That's true, and if there's bears around, you can sleep in the truck. (Roll up the windows)

Smitty of the North
                            Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                            Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                            You can't out-give God.

Comment

GP-100 and 6 rounds of Winchester Black Talons. My favorite.

Ron
                              "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X