Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting The SBH 44mag Factory Ammo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shooting The SBH 44mag Factory Ammo

    Well, I picked up my 44 mag yesterday and bought some Winchester 240gr factory ammo. I stopped by the range real quick today on a trip to an appointment and shot for about 35 minutes.

    The revolver has a lot of promise. The groups got tighter as I fired the revolver more. I adjusted windage on the third group and it was the tightest. Now I will do some load work and shoot from the bench and see what she really can do but it will be two weeks before I can because I will be on the road.

    I fired three groups standing free hand at 25yds and was pleased. Here are the pictures of the SBH and the three six shot groups.









    Next post are targets
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  • #2






    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

    Comment


    • #3
      After I adjusted my windage and fired my third group I went over to the rifle bench and sat down and fire from a rest and hit a 2 quart plastic Coke bottle. I really like this revolver.

      It is a 5.5" barrel and it has a tad more recoil than the 7.5". Also, 296 and H110 behind a 240gr bullet is powerful medicine. As long as you don't get it so hot that the recoil is to great it is fine. If you can keep your velocity at around 1300fps you will find real good accuracy and of course acceptable at around 1400fps.

      What I want to try is the 250gr Partition for serious back up and the factory 240 is my personal defense and carry round. Yes, I did make the right choice when I chose the SBH.
      A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
      THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
      THE HEART OF A CHILD
      THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

      Comment


      • #4
        You are thinking right for sure.I got carried away in my youth and at one time was useing 26.5 gr of 296 with a 320 HC bullet. It was a killer round but bench shooting and off hand field shooting showed about a 3 foot difference in where my flinch put the bullet.I then relised I'm not Larry Kelly or J.D.Jones so best use a load I could hit with and ended up useing 22gr. of 296 and the 320 HC bullet and all was well
        Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

        Comment


        • #5
          A nice little revolver there Beartooth.

          I have the same model in a blue gun, 5 1/2" barrel, smaller grip frame with a round trigger guard. All we need to carry in the forty-four. I do like the 5 1/2" barrel. It is the best compromise in sight radius, velocity and packability. I love the Ruger Blackhawks, old and new and they are still a best buy in a strong quality revolver. I'm trying to fetch a 5 1/2" Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a Bisley grip frame to add to my collection..
          Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?


          Comment


          • #6
            Ok guys, this is driving my nuts. Here I sit waiting for a 4 inch Redhawk 45 Colt to show up that's still on backorder while you guys are buying these nice Rugers. In the meantime I have fondled a couple Blackhawks in 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 inch barrels (357 and 44 mag). I can order/buy a 4 5/8 Stainless Blackhawk 45 Colt NOW for less money and skip the Redhawk. I already have a SBH 7.5 inch and want a 45 Colt. The DA 4 inch Redhawk just seems like a nice little gun. Should I just sit tight and wait for the Redhawk or buy a Blackhawk instead? I guess it comes back the the old SA DA thing.
            Last edited by Snyd; 03-10-2009, 17:14.
            A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

            Comment


            • #7
              Snyd, I owned a 4" Redhawk and it shot good but I like the feel of this one better. I won't know if it will shoot as good as the Redhawk until I hand load for it. Here is my heavy load a 320gr CastPerformance gas checked bullet in front of 21grs H110

              A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
              THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
              THE HEART OF A CHILD
              THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

              Comment


              • #8
                I ordered these 44/320gr WLNGC .430 Cast Performance box of 100 from Midway





                A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                THE HEART OF A CHILD
                THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Snyd View Post
                  Ok guys, this is driving my nuts. Here I sit waiting for a 4 inch Redhawk 45 Colt to show up that's still on backorder while you guys are buying these nice Rugers. In the meantime I have fondled a couple Blackhawks in 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 inch barrels (357 and 44 mag). I can order/buy a 4 5/8 Stainless Blackhawk 45 Colt NOW for less money and skip the Redhawk. I already have a SBH 7.5 inch and want a 45 Colt. The DA 4 inch Redhawk just seems like a nice little gun. Should I just sit tight and wait for the Redhawk or buy a Blackhawk instead? I guess it comes back the the old SA DA thing.
                  Hang in there Perry, BT is just showing off with his new gun, trying to make us all feel bad. I'm here waiting for a 4 5/8" Bisley 45 Colt and he's some place sunny with a new gun. Go ahead BT, rub it in, we'll have a new gun someday and we'll show ya'.

                  Honestly though, the 5 1/2" Redhawk is the one for me along with the 4 5/8" BH or 5 1/2" SBH are my favorites. The weight and balance of the RH 4" was just off for me. I sold my 4" and 5 1/2" RH 44's in anticipation of getting a 5 1/2 " blue 45 Colt in the Redhawk but it didn't happen so I'm on the look out for one from time to time.
                  Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                    Hang in there Perry, BT is just showing off with his new gun, trying to make us all feel bad. I'm here waiting for a 4 5/8" Bisley 45 Colt and he's some place sunny with a new gun. Go ahead BT, rub it in, we'll have a new gun someday and we'll show ya'.

                    Honestly though, the 5 1/2" Redhawk is the one for me along with the 4 5/8" BH or 5 1/2" SBH are my favorites. The weight and balance of the RH 4" was just off for me. I sold my 4" and 5 1/2" RH 44's in anticipation of getting a 5 1/2 " blue 45 Colt in the Redhawk but it didn't happen so I'm on the look out for one from time to time.

                    I know you guys will show me when you get your new guns. I look forward to it and your load work info to boot. :cool:
                    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                    THE HEART OF A CHILD
                    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Confession...

                      Well... I did get this one a few weeks ago... that blackhawk in a 45 Colt would make a nice match huh? See why you got me all worked up now!?!



                      A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Snyd, that is one nice looking rifle and in 454 Cas that is cool. Yes, I see why we got you so worked up. Don't worry, you will have a lot of fun when it gets there.
                        A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                        THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                        THE HEART OF A CHILD
                        THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Snyd why not just get a SRH Alaskan to match up with your rifle,then all the ammo could cross back and forth.
                          Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Amigo, have you ever dropped the hammer on a 454 Casull much less with a 2" barrel??:eek: I had a Ruger Super Redhawk and it surely gets your attention.
                            A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                            THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                            THE HEART OF A CHILD
                            THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
                              Snyd why not just get a SRH Alaskan to match up with your rifle,then all the ammo could cross back and forth.
                              No thanks, not interested. I bought the 454 cuz I can shoot 45 Colt loads in it. Actually I had posted in the swap and sell that I was looking for a Marlin 45 Colt stainless they made a few years back and then AK_Greybear pm'd me about the 454 Puma. It just so happened I was able to get my hands on one locally. Would have bought it if it were a 45 Colt also. But, since it is a 454 I'll be running some of those down the pipe as well.

                              There is a 454 SRH with a ported 4.5 inch barrel on 907bigboytoys.com for sale that looks interesting though.... naaaaa.... I'll wait for my little 45 RH. I've got it locked in at killer price anyways.
                              A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X