Best 22 ammo for self defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 22 ammo for self defense?

I know, I know -- 22's are underpowered for self defense. No one shot stopping power. But, if I want a second handgun for self defense, and it happens to be a 22 cal., I think the choice of ammo could be critical. Any advice? I have a Browning Buckmark semiauto. I appreciate your thoughts on this.
    "The best defense is not to be there when the blow arrives!"

CCI Velocitor.
    Now what ?

Comment

Reliability

Stingers work well for me.

BUT

No matter which ammo you use, reliability is the only issue to be concerned with.

The variations in velocity in just about all the major brands is not nearly as important as reliability. Many 22s are picky and work better with one brand versus another.

You just have to try different brands until you find THE one.

Comment

If you want a light fast bullet that fragments and doesn't penetrate far, go with the Stingers or Velocitor and shoot bad guys in the face.

I have a Beretta model 21, I carry 60g Aguila SSS, they tumble after ten yards, but I'd rather have a bigger bullet, even with a .22.

That being said, the ONLY time I carry a .22 for self-defense is when clothing, or social climate requires the deepest of concealment. Most of the times I will alter my attire to be able to carry a more effective weapon.

I may have to bear the encumberance of being a little over-dressed, but I will not be out-gunned.

The size of a Buckmark is about the same as any full-caliber weapon. If you are in need of a gun for self-defense I would stronlgy recommend that you find a gun in a more suitable caliber for the intended use.

Best of Luck!

-Jay

Comment

Beretta....

I have a Beretta 21 also, and had problems with it .Switched to CCI stingers, and just a little more power solved the problem.GR

Comment

Grab the perp and shoot him in the base of the skull execution style. Use subsonics so you won't wake up the kiddies as you're making scrambled eggs out of the guy's brains.

bd

Comment

Minimags, Velocitors, you probably want to use a high velocity round for maximum punch. Some weapons won't cycle Stingers very well due to there longer length. Reliability is key.

Comment

.22 may be all someone has or can afford, it would definately be better than nothing. I agree with above post, buy a few different rounds and find what shoots reliably. I own a Buckmark and it is picky but a good shooter.

Comment

The above recommendations and try out Gold Dots as well. When you find the most reliable ammo for the gun, practice nothing but paired head shots at ranges from zero to five yards.

Any gun is better than no gun.
                  Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

I agree, use whatever ammo is reliable in your weapon. If it functions well with hyper-velocity rounds such as the Stinger and Velocitor then use them. I like shooting Stingers, and I always have some around for literally popping squirrels with my MarkIII.

I personally prefer the 60 grain Aguila SSS for defense because it will out-penetrate all other .22lr loads, and it functions perfectly in my guns. You can usually find it at Ammo King on Boniface if no where else. You might try a box just to see if it functions in your Buckmark.

I would definitely stay away from the standard-velocity bulk ammo. Two years ago I shot a red squirrel at 10 yards (lucky shot) with my Beretta 21 loaded with Federal blue-box, and it penetrated all of an inch and a half of squirrel flesh, no exit. The barrel of that model 21 is only about 2" long, but I thought it would at least shoot through one of our little squirrels!

I practice emptying my 21 into a 6" paper-plate at seven yards for defense training, a lot of the time I just plink away at spent shotgun-shells, and the occasional tree-rodent.

I understand that some may only be able to afford one gun, and a .22 is the obvious choice for the one-gun-guy, I was in the same situation not that long ago. All I can say is practice as much as you can with the load that you choose for defense in your .22, and start saving for something bigger down the road.

I'd hate to be carrying a mouse-gun while some thug is waving around a mac-10, but if you can put one or ten .22s into his brain then it really doesn't matter does it?

Best of luck!

Jay

Comment

Every 60gr .22LR I've tried has had a very high malfunction rate in my MK-III. Pretty much every thing else work fine.

Comment

60 grain?

In my opinion the subsonic probably won't cycle well in the semi-autos. I have shot them in a single shot rifle and could hear the bullet hit in the dirt background; very quiet report. One question, has anyone tried the 60 grain subsonics in a North American Arms mini revolver? They have a short barrel, 1 1/8", and wonder if those are alot quieter than the regular shells. A friend bought one for his wife and after the first shooting session she refused to carry because of the noise. Thanks, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by tananaBrian View Post
                          Grab the perp and shoot him in the base of the skull execution style. Use subsonics so you won't wake up the kiddies as you're making scrambled eggs out of the guy's brains.

bd
                          :rolleyes:

Comment

To add a bit more...

A few years ago, I did some kevlar tests with 22LR. Had some expired vests at work that were cut up to make them unuseable before being trash canned. Took some of the individual sheets of kevlar from one of them and started shooting them at about 3' distance with a 22 rifle to find out how many layers it took to stop the round. I'd have to go back and check my notes, but as I remember it took only 2 or 3 layers to stop the standard bulk HP plinking stuff. And at about 5 or 6 layers, there was no 22LR round that I had, which included Subsonics, Gold Dots, Stingers, & Velocitors, that would penetrate. And 6 layers of kevlar isn't much at all (a low end vest has around 30 layers to stop budget 9mm). Basically there is no 22LR ammo that has good penetration capabilities. Forget the boiler room or structural incapacitation hits (center mass) as they are not likely to have the desired effect within the timeframe allowed. Multiple head shots is the only real option with a 22 and even those may not be fatal, but provide enough "distraction" to end the fight.
                            Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

The recoil-impulse of the 60 grain Aguila will cycle most autos as long as they are clean in my experience. My mark III will shoot magazine after magazine with no problems, same with my model 21. Some guns will have feeding problems associated with the long-nose 60 grain bullet, mine don't.

The SSS is still pretty loud out of a short barrel, but it isn't anywhere near as loud and the hyper-velocity ammo. If I bought a NAA arms revolver I'd jump to the .22WMR and shoot 50 grain Federal hollowpoints, they perform well.

I apologize for not reading the original post correctly, the .22 is as good a choice as any for a back-up.

Best of Luck Sako!
                              -Jay

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X