Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevelyn View Post
    We need to fix that. It doesn't make any sense for a parent to have to disarm just to drive onto the grounds to drop off and pick their kids up from school. My guess is most who carry don't and take their chances.

Who would be a good legislator receptive to the idea?
    I'm not sure, but I wouldn't mind having this one amended. I'd love to hear if anyone knows who to write/talk to. I'd also like to see the law that doesn't allow OC in restaurants where alcohol is served fixed. It would be nice to OC there, so long as your not drinking.

Jon

Comment

Here in Wa...

If it's a bar..off limits to guns.If a restaurant and open to minors...ok to carry.GR

Comment

Originally posted by ADfields View Post
        Palmer and Anchorage are two that I know prohibit "open carry" of a side arm. Concealed carry has been passed at the state and so fine even in towns that do prohibit open carry. So if you are otherwise legal to have a handgun in Alaska you may carry it concealed.

Andy
        Any supporting information about this? I have never heard of "open carry" being limited. :confused:
        AKmud
        sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Originally posted by AKmud View Post
          Any supporting information about this? I have never heard of "open carry" being limited. :confused:

To my knowledge there is none. I OC all over town and I've never had anyone outside of the goofball at a certain gun store in town say anything. See other people do it fairly often as well.

Check out the Alaska section of www.opencarry.org

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by akhunter3 View Post
            To my knowledge there is none. I OC all over town and I've never had anyone outside of the goofball at a certain gun store in town say anything. See other people do it fairly often as well.

Jon
            Open carry around town is pretty much a dumb idea IMO if you are allowed to CC. Why would you want to let everyone know you are armed and make yourself a target. Not to mention that you make yourself look like an unbalanced redneck. Carrying openly isn't going to change people's concept of people who O.C.

Comment

You may NOT have a firearm in a bank that is FDIC insured unless you are law enforcement or a licensed armed guard acting in the line of duty. That one is federal law thatís been on the books many years, don't even think about doing it!

Andy
              This was basically the answer I got from the AST HQ about a year and a half ago. However, there is no AK statute prohibiting it, nor is there a federal law against it. Honestly, I think someone at AST pulled that out of his ***. I posted the following quite a while ago on the subject:

"According to an interpretation by the Alaska State Troopers at headquarters in Anchorage, being FDIC insured moves them [banks] all into a 'do not carry zone.' I called the BATF in Anchorage, who referred me to DC, who referred me to the Seattle field office. The BATF people I talked with in Seattle had a hard time making the leap that AST HQ came up with. They didn't seem to agree with the 'FDIC insured' interpretation. Of course, no warranties were expressed or implied."

You might be going out on a limb if it were a federal bank / credit union though.

In regards to the Alaska Statutes:
              Originally Posted by AndrewInAlaska
              That law was removed from the books in 2003. Since then it has not been against the law to carry concealed in a financial institution.

AS 18.65.755(a)(11) USED TO READ:
              [A permittee may not carry a concealed handgun] into a financial institution; in this paragraph, "financial institution" means a bank, savings bank, savings association, credit union, or other institution regulated by the Department of Commerce and Economic Development under AS 06;

AS 18.65.755(a)(11) NOW READS:
              [Repealed, Sec. 7 ch 62 SLA 2003].

Comment

Originally posted by stevelyn View Post
                We need to fix that. It doesn't make any sense for a parent to have to disarm just to drive onto the grounds to drop off and pick their kids up from school. My guess is most who carry don't and take their chances.

Who would be a good legislator receptive to the idea?

good idea. i'm going to email my legislators.

Comment

Originally posted by akav8r View Post
                  Open carry around town is pretty much a dumb idea IMO if you are allowed to CC. Why would you want to let everyone know you are armed and make yourself a target. Not to mention that you make yourself look like an unbalanced redneck. Carrying openly isn't going to change people's concept of people who O.C.
                  Glad you have an opinion. Mine's different. Most people I meet are more "Wow! You can do that!?!? That's really cool!". The only people I've EVER met with your attitude are gun folk who think CC is the only way to go.

Pay attention to your surroundings and you'll be fine. As for "unbalanced redneck"? That's one of the most off-the-cuff stereotypes I've ever heard on this board! Dress correctly and it won't be a problem. I have quite a few people ask me if I am with APD.

If you don't like OC because you can't pay close enough attention to your surroundings, or can't be bothered to dress nicer than your stained Carrharrts and a wife-beater, that's fine. Doesn't bother me none. Just don't get on other people exercising their rights. Ever heard the saying "Use it or lose it"?

Jon

Comment

Palmer and Anchorage are two that I know prohibit "open carry" of a side arm. Concealed carry has been passed at the state and so fine even in towns that do prohibit open carry. So if you are otherwise legal to have a handgun in Alaska you may carry it concealed.

Andy
                    If it is your personal choice to not open carry your firearm, then that is your decision. But please don't spread this type of misinfomation to the masses in this forum. Alaska has full state municipal preemption and you are severely mistaken.
                    Please refer to www.opencarry.org for more information.

Comment

You may NOT have a firearm in a bank that is FDIC insured unless you are law enforcement or a licensed armed guard acting in the line of duty. That one is federal law thatís been on the books many years, don't even think about doing it!

Andy
                      With such blatant misinformation typed above, I would greatly appreciate a citation to back up your claim for that law. I bet you will have a hard time finding it because it does not exist. FDIC is federal insurance. It doesn't mean the bank is federally owned. :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by akav8r View Post
                        You may have these opinions because you have never done it, don't understand it, or perhaps you don't believe in your right to do so. I don't know about you but I believe in the whole second amendment, not just the part that says, "to keep."

Do you have any information you could share that suggests that open carriers become targets? I have studied the subject for years and have never found a single instance where someone was specifically targeted for open carrying. Not even one.

If there were not certain tactical advantages to the practice, the police would not find it prudent to do so.

Personal attacks, name calling, and calling something dumb suggests to me that you are speaking to something that shows your utter lack of knowledge on the subject. I find that most folks are totally oblivious to their surroundings and have not a clue what people have on in their holsters and on their belts.

Comment

Glad you have an opinion. Mine's different. Most people I meet are more "Wow! You can do that!?!? That's really cool!". The only people I've EVER met with your attitude are gun folk who think CC is the only way to go.

Pay attention to your surroundings and you'll be fine. As for "unbalanced redneck"? That's one of the most off-the-cuff stereotypes I've ever heard on this board! Dress correctly and it won't be a problem. I have quite a few people ask me if I am with APD.

If you don't like OC because you can't pay close enough attention to your surroundings, or can't be bothered to dress nicer than your stained Carrharrts and a wife-beater, that's fine. Doesn't bother me none. Just don't get on other people exercising their rights. Ever heard the saying "Use it or lose it"?

Jon
                          I'll modify my statement. The people I've seen openly carrying in urban areas have either looked like unbalanced rednecks or wannabe cops who have a "look at me, I'm carrying a gun" attitude. I wouldn't ever be in favor of denying people the right to do it, but I think it's foolish when there is the option of concealed carry. Just because you can "do that" and it's "really cool" doesn't mean it's smart.

As someone mentioned above, cops openly carry all the time. Who are the first people to be neutralized if need be during an armed robbery? The security or uniformed police on scene of course. Last year a cop was shot when he unknowingly walked into a convenience store that was being robbed. The dirtbag saw the cop coming and hid behind the counter. When the cop walked up to the counter, said dirtbag ambushed him and put a bullet in his head. Would a regular Joe Citizen have gotten the same treatment? Maybe, but probably not. Would Mr. Citizen have gotten the same treatment if he was openly carrying his trusty 1911 on his hip. Probably. Again, I support your right to carry openly, but I don't think it makes tactical sense. Action beats reaction every time and when you carry openly, you are putting yourself in the position where you will most likely have to be reactive to a threat. You don't have the choice of being an innocent bystander or witness to a crime. You've also ensured that any threat is likely to be much more swift and violent than if you weren't openly armed. This is a reality that LE lives with every day. They're paid to do it, trained to do it, and equipped to do it (body armor, alternative weapons) yet I don't know any LEOs who carry openly off duty in an urban environment.

Could your mere armed presence prevent a crime? In some scenarios, possibly, yes. Could it also ensure your swift and sudden death? In some scenarios, possibly, yes. As for stopping crimes in progress, what could be handled by carrying openly that couldn't be handled just as well if not better carrying concealed? Carrying concealed would in most scenarios give you time to assess the situation and make a wise decision whether you need to intervene.

Consider the possibility of being disarmed. You probably won't be carrying a holster designed for significant security. Most LEOs carry a holster which has multiple retention devices which must be defeated to draw the handgun. It would be much easier for someone to take your weapon if you weren't similarly equipped. If it was concealed, you would have much less concern about that possibility.

To someone who isn't just about flaunting his/her "rights" in the faces of others, carrying concealed is logically the better option. Everyone has to make his/her own decisions in life and I believe in your right to openly carry if you see fit. Obviously, that's a decision that I see fraught with flaws and I have tried to articulate some of those in this post. Weigh your options wisely and not with haste.

Comment

Originally posted by AKmud View Post
                            Just the $150 ticket I got from Palmer Police summer of 07! The cop also showed me a list of other towns which prohibit it and Anchorage was first on the list. His list was in a booklet put out by the troopers for use by law enforcement around the state. Don't believe me if ya want, no skin off my hide.

The Fed law about banks was read to and then passed around in my Arizona CC class I took in 1992. It may have been repelled for all I know as I canít find in the US Coed but I would not count on it! I also canít find any law that prohibits weapons on commercial aircraft, but I bet the TSA cops know how to find it.

Andy
                            Andy
                            On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                            Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                            Call/Text 602-315-2406
                            Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Jon
                              That sight only covers state laws. No city/town/borough/municipality laws are covered and they say 14 is minimum carry age and I wonder about that as you must be 21 to buy a handgun or ammo for it I believe.

Andy
                              Andy
                              On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                              Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                              Call/Text 602-315-2406
                              Phoenix Arizona

Comment

1. Reciprocity makes the local city/town/borough/muni laws invalid.
                                2. Getting a ticket for something doesn't mean it is unlawful.
                                The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X