Smith Airweight 44 Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Airweight 44 Mag

Anyone shooting a Smith Airweight 44 mag with the 4" barrel. I saw one the other day at the store and it looked perfect for a side arm while fishing or bow hunting. Looking for advice on how it shoots, recoil, etc... Also what is a fair price on these, the one I saw was $775 new.

Never fired one, but did look at them at one time. Very light and would cary easily. I know the earlier light handguns had trouble with bullits becoming unseated as the recoil was more severe.
    I carry the SW mountian gun it seems to be a good mix of size and weight.

Regards,

Comment

I've handled and fired one, but didn't find enough advantage to make me replace my 4" magnaported 629. If I didn't already have the 629, I would certainly have picked it up. Both are very accurate when you do your part. I do double action shooting almost exclusively, so I did an action/spring job on mine. Porting is really worthwhile, bringing recoil levels very similar to those of my unported 7" Ruger Redhawk.
      "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
      Merle Haggard

Comment

PM'd you

I sent you a private message... let me know if you got it...

Comment

Had one, shot it, sold it. Great to carry but recoil was totally excessive. Much worse than my 4in 500 S&W.

Comment

I have one. Actually it's my second one. They are not for the timid. Most of my friends will not shoot a full six rounds and it's been dropped by a couple who wern't expecting the recoil.

On the plus side and like I said it's my second sold the first one and a year latter found one of the ALASKA PACKER III models and had to have it. I have put a few hundred rounds through it. It shoots nice and a S&W 500 grip tames it down a lot. All the 44 Mags I have ever owned kicked harder than a 454 or 500. To me it's a different type of recoil. They are light and nice to carry! Mine is the same weight as the old snubnose Charter Arms Bulldog Pug I have and kicks about the same. If I had to grab just one of the pistols in the house and bet my life on it, it would be the S&W airweight.

Also S&W warranty is one of the best I have ever delt with. From lost screws to something I just didn't feel was right they have taken care of it.

Lenard

Comment

I have a S&W 329 with the 500 Grips and I really like this pistol. I have told this story before but I will tell it again.

I have a friend that was itching to shoot my new 329 last winter. He has stubby hands and has a hard time holding onto large caliber pistols but he wanted to fire 6 rounds of 44 mag remington factory loads. I warned him, hold on tight because this pistol has some recoil. I could see the flinch coming and he was so nervous it took him a minute to pull the trigger. Then he turned to me and said, "what are you talking about this pistol isnt that bad." Then he let the remaining 5 rounds.

I have mainly fired this pistol in sub zero temperatures, which can really hurt when your hands are frozen to the bone. I am going to the range this weekend to fire a few rounds and refresh my memory on how bad the recoil is, but this time it wont be -10*F.
              sigpic

Comment

I have owned one for about the last 3 years, and have to say that it is very nice to carry while fishing/hunting or whatever. I sometimes forget that I'm even carrying it. The recoil isn't bad at all with 240gr rounds , but I definitely know when I shoot the 305gr Cor-Bons! It really just depends on how much recoil you can handle. I have friends who have shot it once and would never touch it again, and others who love shooting it.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X