Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you expect the wild demand for handguns to peak before Christmas......???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you expect the wild demand for handguns to peak before Christmas......???

Is it really "Different" this time....??? All time record handgun sales. My friend in Portland, OR. reports Cabela's that normally has hundreds of handguns on display, only had "FIVE" last week. Virtually no handgun ammo in the store. I assume there must be lots of inventory available in Anchorage, as the subject of low guns and low ammo inventory has not hit this forum.
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Not handgun related but I stopped by Sportsmans for some duck ammo and there was none to be had. A run on 3" steel shot??!? Gotta be supply chain issues, not just political panicking......

Comment

I think the demand for guns will continue to rise if Biden wins and the streets continue to burn. While there may be supply chain issues, we are seeing demand continue to rise.

Comment

Not peaked yet or the demand anyway. November 4 will be interesting, either the carnage in the streets amps up or the assault on Amendment II amps up or both, more than a scare tactic this time. Don't want to be a fear monger, but I think its real this time and the supply to demand is here to stay for quite a long time. Last week while cruising the shops, every phone call I overheard was for ammo, 9 out of 10 walk-ins asked for ammo. And, there was paperwork being done also.

Comment

I think most in Alaska don't realize the level of fear people in the current "War" zones in American cities are dealing with. Currently the talk of "Firearms Control or Restriction" is lower then it has been in many decades.

The largest demographic of firearms purchasers today, is people who have never touched a firearm, and loath them. But they are more terrified of what they see, and what they fear is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrerak View Post
            Not handgun related but I stopped by Sportsmans for some duck ammo and there was none to be had. A run on 3" steel shot??!? Gotta be supply chain issues, not just political panicking......
            Not only duck shells but anything defensive. Buck shot, reloading supplies, .22 ammo.. I only saw some 10mm pistol and that was it.

My grandson back in NY wanted a rifle for deer season this year (OK, for self defense too.) and the only thing he found was a Ruger bolt in .450 Bushmaster. The people that can afford it back in NY are moving to the rural areas especially those from NYC. I do believe that if Harris wins, the intercity issues from now will look like picnics.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
              Not only duck shells but anything defensive. Buck shot, reloading supplies, .22 ammo.. I only saw some 10mm pistol and that was it.

My grandson back in NY wanted a rifle for deer season this year (OK, for self defense too.) and the only thing he found was a Ruger bolt in .450 Bushmaster. The people that can afford it back in NY are moving to the rural areas especially those from NYC. I do believe that if Harris wins, the intercity issues from now will look like picnics.
              People who can't find a gun to purchase, are buying flare guns, archery equipment, crossbows, knives, crowbars, chains.

In many areas the shops have moved the ammo (especially handgun ammo) to the backroom, if the buyer wants ammo bad enough, the store is only allowing one box of ammo if and only if someone purchase the same cartridge handgun. Because there is so little, or often zero ammo available that people will not purchase a firearm, if there is zero ammo available.

One clue that this is far different then past, is that .22 rimfire ammo is readily available. This is not about plinking, this is about fear and survival.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                One clue that this is far different then past, is that .22 rimfire ammo is readily available. This is not about plinking, this is about fear and survival.
                Sportsman in Wasilla had only half a dozen of odd target shooting rounds. That was it. That was why I quoted fuhrerak post about Sportsman.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post

Sportsman in Wasilla had only half a dozen of odd target shooting rounds. That was it. That was why I quoted fuhrerak post about Sportsman.
                  Well.........I was referring to Lower 48, I should have been clearer, sorry. October 23, 2019 was the very last time I was more then few miles from my cabin, so I have zero idea about firearm values, ammo values, or the inventory of either in Alaska.

I am rapidly going blind, and have near everything for sale. People ask what price I want, I respond that I don't know current value, tell me what it is worth to them. And so things are selling to people in lower-48.

Alaskans are interesting, in that they remember that Cabela's had 9mm Luger at Christmas for (lost leader, to bait customers into the store) $78.99 for brick of 500. So the mentality of Alaskans (especially on this forum) is will they "might" consider buying some ones same ammo for large discount, say maybe $45.00 to $50.00 for the same brick.

A brick of 500 9mm Luger ammo in lower 48 is $250.00 to $375.00 for that ammo if someone will sell it to them.

There is a condition called "Normalcy Bias" where-in people can't accept current reality. The Toilet Paper, shortage/panic was classic Normalcy Bias.
                  Last edited by AGL4now; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

AGL4 that is not a problem and why I provided a clarification, like you did. I KNOW the L48 is is going to have some serious issues with everything pretty soon. I'm thinking of a green house for next year. Meat and sea food is a non-issue. Ammunition is a non issue too for me. As my grand kids said a couple years ago; "If Korea invades Alaska I think you have it covered."

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

This is why I said its more than a scare like it was last time 2012. This is real and going to amp up before and especially after Nov 4, there is a real threat things are going to get real bad. I have friends who tell me I dont wont to be down there in all that is going on. Some have real concerns about day to day safety of just living.

As far buying someone's ammo, I would not buy loaded ammo from someone I dont know. I would be very cautious or in a bad way. In 2012, I had guys buy ammo from me to sell it in my parking lot marked up at extreme prices. I would mark ammo boxes with my name to find it show up everywhere at extreme prices, so, it started showing up in zip lock baggies. I had gun shops buy from me to do the same thing. I had to move ammo off the shelves due to fights, between customers and with my people. If there is no limit, one person will buy it all to resell it. Some will make multiple trips to buy that 1 box. I know.

Every retailer uses loss leaders and the good ones use product in demand. They make it up on the back end selling product at full or even slightly marked up.

Anchorage Cabelas had quite a bit of ammo early spring. Herters everywhere with no limits. They keep most of the product in their warehouse backstock inside the building. Most of the guys I know who worked there have moved on.

SW was out of ammo long before Cabelas. Most of those I know who worked there also moved on.

Local shops just laughed when I inquired. Do you see it, then I dont have it, dont ask when I will get it. But I did pick up a few boxes of way over priced handgun SD ammo just because they had it.

Alaska is having our fair share of shortages. Like I said, I cruised through most of the local shops and no popular ammo but plenty of those asking for it. I know several shops are keeping ammo off the shelves to offer with gun purchases only. And a few them were busy doing paperwork 4473s.

Sorry to hear you are going blind, I wish you good luck!

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                      I think most in Alaska don't realize the level of fear people in the current "War" zones in American cities are dealing with. Currently the talk of "Firearms Control or Restriction" is lower then it has been in many decades.

The largest demographic of firearms purchasers today, is people who have never touched a firearm, and loath them. But they are more terrified of what they see, and what they fear is coming.

Comment

So I am trying to price ammo that I have for sale. I go online to several Anchorage Box Sporting Stores. Sportsman's carries 80 different types and brands of .45 ACP ammo.

"EIGHTY" that is kind'a a lot of choices. Of the "eighty" they are SOLD out of 79. they have only one choice and you are restricted to only purchasing "Two Boxes".https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...529&show=Page#

Why are members here not discussing this.......but are obsessed with face masks.

We are still about six or seven weeks to election. And many think that the election will be the start of true anarchy......no matter who get elected, if anyone.

Comment

PARABELLUM

I think rational folks who think about these kind of things already have their preps in place.

The confluence of COVID, joblessness, the economy as a Ponzi scheme, 1st time gun buyers, Election year politics, and violent riots have created a perfect storm for a massive run on guns and ammo.

How this all plays out is anyone’s guess.

Comment

AGL4now

If you still have stuff for sale please PM me

Comment

I watched a popular youtube reloading channel recently that spoke on the issue of lack of reloading components.<br/>Besides the perfect storm of covid, riots, and the election apparently 99.something percent of all primers are going into factory ammunition.<br/> I'm guessing they make more profit on stuff that way and the demand is certainly there.<br/>I've got plenty of ammo and a decent supply of reloading components.<br/>I did just buy a new to me rifle and would like to find a couple different powders to try with it.<br/>But it did come with a pound of powder so I guess I'll have to see how that preforms while I wait for other powders to show up in stores.<br/>Another tricky one for me was that I was recently gifted an old shotgun reloading press by my dad.<br/>Finding wads that will work for the various loads I have planned has been a bit difficult.<br/>But I think I finally have a few bags of the correct wads for the various slugs, buckshot, and shot loads I'm wanting to make.<br/>Fortunately the slugs and buckshot I can cast myself.<br/>If worse came to worse I do have the chemicals to properly reload the primers and can make my own black powder to load in the cases if I really had to. But I'm a long ways off from that right now.<br/> I'm sure it will be quite awhile after the election before the shelves are reasonably restocked.<br/>But if the anti-gun candidate wins it might be years if at all.<br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/><br/><br/>
                              "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X