X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    Originally posted by gunbugs View Post
    I try to just use ammo from Winchester, Remington, and Federal, (some S&B as well). Everything else I view as "suspect". Too many stories like yours over the years. I've been dealing and working on guns and selling ammo for over 30 years. Most of these small makers just don't have the quality control in hand. It's quality out of control.
    I have fed a ton of hand loads through my various D.E.'s. No problems as long as they are full length sized and loaded hot enough. Puny loads don't work so well.

Leave a comment:

• gunbugs
    replied
    I try to just use ammo from Winchester, Remington, and Federal, (some S&B as well). Everything else I view as "suspect". Too many stories like yours over the years. I've been dealing and working on guns and selling ammo for over 30 years. Most of these small makers just don't have the quality control in hand. It's quality out of control.

Leave a comment:

• Nitroman
    replied
    I have gaged all my shells. Every one that drops I will run into my DE to check. Well, maybe I'll keep a couple of boxes. This stuff is spendy. I need to reload the brass I have.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    I have a DE that was built for the Ca. market, but sold in AK. It had some funky extra safety thing on it that consisted of a small pin and spring. It eventually caused the gun to not be able to fire. I took it to Gator Guns and he couldn't find the problem but I figured it out myself with some internet research. Needless to say that funky Ca stuff got removed. I'm not a fan of semi autos for protection anyway. Lots less to go haywire with a revolver. As long as the ammos fits and has the proper crimp on the bullet it will work.

Leave a comment:

• Nitroman
    replied
    I bought six boxes of Federal Fusion 300gr. with the pistol, shot them all flawlessly. I have two boxes here that I gaged, all dropped into the gage with a little "click". It wasn't the coating. Seems that extra 25gr. might be the challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Steve8261948
    replied
    Did it operate properly before applying the new finish?
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Nitroman
    replied
    LOL! Oh yeah, that first FTF shook me for sure, but now I know why, so all I need to do now is take the ammo I have to the range (after gaging), and blow it all up. If it works 100%, I am good to go.

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by Nitroman View Post
    ....I like the Underwood a great deal, it is very hot, and I suspect, very effective.
    ...Like you said originally....until it don't go bang! Hope you've got it figured out now.

Leave a comment:

• Nitroman
    started a topic DE 50AE Failure To Return To Battery

DE 50AE Failure To Return To Battery

I bought a Desert Eagle pistol in 50AE, and had it titanium nitrided to increase it's reliability and anti-rust properties primarily for berry-picking and cutting in the woods. I didn't get to shoot it much until I got it back from the nitrider, then started experiencing failure to return to battery. First time this happened I had a chill run up and down my spine; what if this happened during a critical event? = BAD.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Eagle 1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	2758897
    The slide had closed, but not all the way, and I couldn't visually see this, only feel with the base of my thumb, across the back of the slide/frame, they were just barely proud of each other, so took a small hand axe (all I had, don't beat me up about it), and gently taped the slide closed. I couldn't even see how much, just felt it "solid" on the second tap. I could NOT get the slide to budge, open or closed, without that tap. Oh yeah, let's not forget I'm doing this with a live round in the chamber.

Either the pistol had a problem, or it was the ammo. I sent the pistol back to Magnum Research and while they had it, I bought a cartridge case gage.
    Magnum Research couldn't find anything wrong with the pistol, so I worked on the ammo and this is what I found:
    The Speer ammo would drop into the gage easily, except for 3 out of twenty shells. But the Underwood ammo? Not a single shell would drop into the case gage. The one sticking up definitely would have jammed the pistol. So for critical situations, gage all the ammunition going into the sidearm before you get into trouble.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Underwood 325 Bonded.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2758898
    For the shells that wouldn't gage, I am going to reseat the bullet and/or run it into a sizer to see if the shell is slightly fat due to powder compression. I like the Underwood a great deal, it is very hot, and I suspect, very effective.

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X