No announcement yet.

Alaskan's handgun carry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can load my Redhawks with loads that would destroy a S&W. Especially considering how often I shoot them. The occasional hot load in a Smith may not be a big deal, but they can't digest a steady diet of them.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Handgun choice is personal. To each his own. The reason I often carry a 329 is that it is light and easy to draw and bring into action. Bears can die hard and the CNS shot is my first choice. For CNS work many bullet and cartridge combos have proven successful. If encounter is time compressed element of luck comes into play but poorly placed hits from anything short of an anti armor device may not work quickly. As to recoil that is subjective. If your being punished it is best to avoid that choice. People existed among bears in Alaska long before firearms.Being aware is good policy.

Comment

Originally posted by upstreamV View Post
        Handgun choice is personal. To each his own. The reason I often carry a 329 is that it is light and easy to draw and bring into action. Bears can die hard and the CNS shot is my first choice. For CNS work many bullet and cartridge combos have proven successful. If encounter is time compressed element of luck comes into play but poorly placed hits from anything short of an anti armor device may not work quickly. As to recoil that is subjective. If your being punished it is best to avoid that choice. People existed among bears in Alaska long before firearms.Being aware is good policy.
        I have actually hosed a charging bear at point blank with a handgun. Ruger Blackhawk 7.5 barrel with handloads. Literally dropped that bear at my feet.

Comment

Hosing is good. I love my Blackhawk. It eats ammo that would damage my 329 In short order. Most of the time the 329 makes me happy but the Blackhawk will never be sold.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
            I can load my Redhawks with loads that would destroy a S&W. Especially considering how often I shoot them. The occasional hot load in a Smith may not be a big deal, but they can't digest a steady diet of them.
            I can attest to hot loads having caused notable stress to my old 29-2 back when I owned it, for sure. After even a couple loads that were way hot, the rotation on the cylinder would be stiff, and it sent that stiffness through the action. Ended up sticking with loads that were hardened alloy, but made specifically for the older S&W cylinders, which were far less stout than Ruger's cylinders, overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve8261948 View Post
              If my ount is correct I count only 3 who carr model 29s or 629s? Well it's been over a month since I asked my original question and I have to say I'm curious about most of the replies? Some respondents are so vague, I can't tell what they carry? To the 329 guys I'd ask why would you suffer the recoi and not go with a 500 with it's bigger and heavier bullets? To the people who prefer the Redhawks I'd ask why when about the engineering changes of -4--5( the endurance package) the S&Ws don't seem to have problems handling heavy loads(I've personally not heard or seen a cylinder backing up lately?)? Just personal preference?
              Like I said I do not or have i ever lived in Alaska.
              Steve
              As stated earlier, my .500 S&W Mag is a boat anchor, capable of damaging the area it's stowed in if I take it on the dash of my snowmobiles.

It's true that 'my wife's' custom Super Red Hawk .454 C slaps my hand more/harder with hot loads, compared to the .500 S&W Magnum, due to less weight to absorb the recoil, but I can send a good .45 Long Colt cartridge through it too, with a little less charge, and still applying hardened lead for effect, and not cause quite as much discomfort to my hand.

Overall I believe there's greater versatility with the .454 Super Red Hawk, less weight to carry, the 'slap' isn't so uncomfortable as to not be able to properly hit a target, though it's not a go-to recreational shooter for that reason, either.

My 10mm tends to be my town gun any more, and even then, I often steal my wife's 2-3/4" stainless Ruger Speed Six.357 Mag for town runs, as it's simply sitting near the door in a DeSantis fanny pack holster. So it's there, it's small, it's light, and... that's about it. Convenience and familiarity.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

I have actually hosed a charging bear at point blank with a handgun. Ruger Blackhawk 7.5 barrel with handloads. Literally dropped that bear at my feet.

SmokeRoss when you collapsed that bear at your feet with a Blackhawk how long did the entire event take? Of your hits which ones ended up doing the stopping? That sort of shooting would certainly make for an interesting day.

Comment

Originally posted by upstreamV View Post

SmokeRoss when you collapsed that bear at your feet with a Blackhawk how long did the entire event take? Of your hits which ones ended up doing the stopping? That sort of shooting would certainly make for an interesting day.
                  It was seconds. I had already hit him earlier and was tracking him. He doubled back on his blood trail and came at me from behind, out from under a log, less than 10' behind me. I heard him. Had the .44 in my hand. It was like slow motion. I turned, raised the gun, and fired shooting him right in the head.
                  I have gone into the brush after others and got some that were very close to me, but not charging. Been charged while I was logging and unarmed, but thankfully the bear stopped short.
                  I have killed about 30 black bears including one with a bow. Several have been with the .44 and some with old lever action rifles.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X