No announcement yet.

Alaskan's handgun carry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German, you're a brave man, with that lite weight gun? I know I reduce loads for my S&W Mountain Gun.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Comment

329 w/ Buffalo Bore 255

Comment

Count me in on the 329 PD, standard 44 mags rounds. For ease of carry, you can't get better for a gun you hope to never fire.
        Last edited by Cheeser; 06-01-2020, 10:38.

Comment

I've carried this S&W 657 41 mag for years. I've got it's mate in 44mag, but have always been a 41 fan.Many miles on the leather and the gun. Bianchi 111 "cyclone", and an El Paso Saddlery single speedloader pouch. Always thought the double pouches were too bulky, so asked politely if they would make me several single pouches. Very nice.
          "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Comment

Originally posted by The German View Post
            Hey Steve, I'm Sportin a 329PD, using Buffalo Bores 255gr. for the most part, also run some 300 gr. Hard-Cast Loaded by Bob Wiseman, down on the Kenai.....
            TG
            Click image for larger version

Name:	LJ's_S&W_329PD_Mag-Na-Ported 001.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	2756610 Click image for larger version

Name:	LJ's_S&W_329PD_Mag-Na-Ported 009.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	2756611
            How do you keep the cylider so clean from powder?

Comment

Name:	LJ's S&W 329PD .44Mag in a BullDog FSN-12 004 (2).jpg
Views:	165
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2756792
              Originally posted by PRDATR View Post

How do you keep the cylider so clean from powder?
              Yea, Good Eye,,,,, that Pic was taken right after I got the Gun back from S&W, ie... New Blast-Shield and a New TI Cylinder, and a New SS Cylinder as well, which will take alittle more abuse, it adds alittle more Weight to the Gun, but has eliminated any Sticking Brass, which I encountered with some of the 300gr HC Loads form Bob Wiseman, Kenai.... ie... Alaska Backpacker
              and if you look REAL close, those Grips have been Changed to the 500 Grips, I'll have to Post-up a Photo,,,, but yea, all Good, it's with me all the time, in the Truck, and out of the Truck, I've got a CC Bull-Dog Cross Belt-Clip Rig for Town......
              TG
              Last edited by The German; 06-04-2020, 13:39. Reason: Added Photos
              [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

Smith 629, 6" with 300 grain JSP pushed by probably too much W296. It also shoots.431 round balls good enough for rabbits. The hand tooled belt came from the second ex wife. Don't know if you can read it or not. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200604_183622.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	2756800

Patriot Life Member NRA
                Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	2756813 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	2756814
                  Because it says “Alaskan” on the barrel...

After 25 years of trial and error I think I’ve found the perfect woods gun for Alaska. Stainless, double action, 6 shot, 2.5 in. barrel, stout enough for the load shown here.

Comment

The German? Is that a lanyard ring (factory or aftermarket?) on your new grips? Is the recoil "softer" with the 500 grips? On your Guide holster, did they install the strap on your holster or did you do that as I don't see any reference to such a strap on their site?

And ??? did you have failures of some kind (other than the sticky extractions) that resulted in your having your gun worked on?

Comment

Originally posted by LeonardC View Post
                      The German? Is that a lanyard ring (factory or aftermarket?) on your new grips? Is the recoil "softer" with the 500 grips? On your Guide holster, did they install the strap on your holster or did you do that as I don't see any reference to such a strap on their site?

And ??? did you have failures of some kind (other than the sticky extractions) that resulted in your having your gun worked on?
                      Hey Leo,,,,, Yes, I got that Lanyard Ring from S&W when I ordered the 500 Grips, and Yes, those Grips are a Big Improvement, but so is the Porting, between the Porting, the 500 Grips, and the SS Cylinder, it's actually pretty pleasant to shoot, compared to when it was stock that is, and the Snap-Strap was at the time, an option, I'm sure Dennis would Add it, just ask for it......
                      and as to why it went back to S&W, it needed a New Blast-Shield, the Barrel has to be removed in order to do that job, they offered a New TI Cylinder when I asked about buying the SS Cylinder, so it came back with the New TI Installed, and the SS was in it's own box.
                      I have had "No" Failures of any kind, but early on, I did change out the Firing-Pin, to the Longer up-dated version, and also removed the Locking Mechanism entirely.
                      I've attached a couple of Write-ups that I've done regarding this S&W 329PD in the past.....
                      TG

Name:	LJ's S&W 329PD Write-up2.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	2756829 Click image for larger version

Name:	LJ's S&W 329PD Write-up.PNG
Views:	139
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	2756828

Comment

I have the same grip on mine but it isn't open to the frame like the one on yours.

Comment

Originally posted by PRDATR View Post
                          I have the same grip on mine but it isn't open to the frame like the one on yours.
                          Ok, let me ask you a question,,,, can you see your Guns Steel Grip Backstrap, if you can, then you do not have the same Grips as I do, let me know......
                          TG

Comment

No, other than that it looks identical. I bought it about five years or more ago from S&W for about $40.

Comment

Comment

Ok,,,, those are Not the Hogue X-500 grips that I have, I think those are the Slip-Fit Design, another question, did you buy this Gun New, or Used, and did it come with the Original Rubber Grips, and the Wood Ones as well, if you still have the Original Rubber grips, they were attached at the bottom with a Screw into the Swivel-Clip Stirrup Connection at the Butt,,,, and or,,,,, a Screw-in Laynard Ring.
                                I've attached a Blog, that talks about this Modification....
                                TG

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	2756855

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X