Ruger Gp100 in 327 Federal Magnum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger Gp100 in 327 Federal Magnum

Took my new revolver (GP100 in 327) out to shoot it for the first time. Fired the first shot, and the cylinder locked up, trigger stayed back and would not release, due to cylinder would not rotate. Played with it for a minute and finally was able to open the cylinder, and then closed the cylinder. Fired one more shot and it locked again and I was unable to get the cylinder open while at the range. Took revolver home, and used a brass punch on the button to open the cylinder so I could remove the live rounds. Removed the live rounds and closed the cylinder and the revolver acts like it should during dry firing. The ammo I was using American Eagle 100 Grain 327 Federal Magnum (my Blackhawk loves this ammo...). Revolver was cleaned prior to shooting. What say you? I say HELP! LOL! Thanks.

I did send the above type to Ruger via the online post. I'll let you know what they say when I hear back from them.

I love my GP100 in 357 that is what made me buy the exact same model in 327.

Never shot a 327, but the GP100 I shoot is for heavy loads and I've never had a failure of any kind with it.

When your cylinder locks up, is there any play? Does this happen with empty cases or live rounds (careful!) that haven't been fired? I've had my DW22 lock up with just a little bit of grime under the extractor. The other thing I'd look for are the bullets jumping crimp? (I wouldn't think so with the light bullets and such a heavy gun)

Comment

Originally posted by LeonardC View Post
      Never shot a 327, but the GP100 I shoot is for heavy loads and I've never had a failure of any kind with it.

When your cylinder locks up, is there any play? Does this happen with empty cases or live rounds (careful!) that haven't been fired? I've had my DW22 lock up with just a little bit of grime under the extractor. The other thing I'd look for are the bullets jumping crimp? (I wouldn't think so with the light bullets and such a heavy gun)
      The first time it locked up, there was very little play and that was how I managed to open the cylinder while at the range. After I closed it and fired one more round, it locked "TIGHT" and would not move. I was unable to open the cylinder while at the range. Had to take it home and use a brass punch and small hammer on the button latch for the cylinder, and it opened. I removed the live rounds and the two shells that were fired and nothing looked out of place. Bullets are not jumping the crimp. I can cycle without any rounds in the cylinder and it acts like it should. I just put the fired rounds back in the cylinder and tried to operate the cylinder and it locked right away. Had to use the plastic mallet to hit the button to open the cylinder.

This quite unusual for Ruger...in my humble opinion. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know if they happen to have one and to be wary, at least for the first rounds anyway. Now I might of expected this cylinder locked up if the rounds had been reloads, but I never reload hot rounds anyway and I haven't started for this particular round yet. But it will be a must as none of the locals have rounds for this handgun...when you live on an island, you learn to reload if you want something different.

I'll update this post when I hear back from Ruger.

Comment

Might be cratering the primers. Look at the firing pin divot in the fired primer and see if it is raising metal around the indent. That metal will flow back into the firing pin hole in the frame and lock up the revolver pretty tight. Usually an ammo problem, not a gun problem.
        "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Comment

My first thought was the ammo too. But, I have shot this same ammo with my blackhawk with no issues. I looked at the firing pin divot and it looks identical to what my blackhawk does. Running my finger over the firing pin divot, it is smooth and do not feel any ridge nor does it look strange.

I have got it to lock up with no ammo in the cylinder and pulling back the hammer, once it locked up just like that. But for the most part, if I put a round in the cylinder, it will lock up if I fire it. And sometimes it will lock up if I just rotate it by pulling on the hammer.

Comment

OK, I heard back from Ruger and they would like to see my revolver...I thought they might. Since I didn't see there response until late in the afternoon, I didn't call them in time to get a RMA number to return the revolver. I'll do that in the morning and will let keep you up to date on the final outcome from Ruger.

Comment

Ruger will take care of it. I've sent a few back and they have always been quick and efficient.
              Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

Recently, last few years sent a S&W K22 barrel to Alan Siegrist to have him rebore and rifle into .32, then sent a S&W model 15 along with a K22 cylinder to Andy Horvath to have him assemble into a K32? Shoots all .32s including .327 Federals very nicely.
                https://imgur.com/XLZx3SN
                https://imgur.com/uYmFFZ2
                Steve
                "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Comment

I received my GP100 back from Ruger today. According to the invoice in the box, they had to replace the ejector. I'll go test it out after work today to ensure it will work without any issues.

Comment

Got off worked and drove to the woods (my favorite place to shoot), set up the target, loaded the GP100 and squeezed the trigger! Cocked the hammer and fired round after round until all 7 shots were fired. Now this gun shoots and feels like a "ruger" should. Now all I have to do is to practice more!

Comment

I'm happy for you! Not much worse than having a gun that doesn't perform "good enough". Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Good to hear, always had good service from Ruger Service, myself,
                        Steve
                        "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X