Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of ya all just cost me close to a grand!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRDATR View Post
    I first shot a Freedom Arms 454 in the mid 80's at a gun fair in Phoenix. I came away with two things from that. One was that they would have to tighten up the frame screws every so ofter. The other was that the way it fit my hand it wanted to rotate out of the grip I had on it I like the caliber but not the frame design. For me the grip transfers too much recoil compared to the grip design on the SRH or the S&W Frame. But that's just me.
    I was allowed 2 shots from a FA 454 many years ago during a Demo at Birchwood. I couldn't keep the grip from slipping in my hand.

I had the same problem, shooting Ruger Super BHs in 44 mag. Some say you spose to let slip, a lil bit. I dunno.

I love the cowboy gun grips, because they can fit most everyone, and they look kool, but NOT for heavy recoil, if it's me, shooting. I put Hogue grips on my BH 357, and it makes everything OK.

I think the grips on the Toklat are probably very good for heavy recoil. IME, howbeit, limited, Recoil is the name of the game, here. Those into beeg bore handguns in a big way, must have found a way to deal with it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
      Those into beeg bore handguns in a big way, must have found a way to deal with it.
      Smitty of the North
      Put it this way....I was seriously considering the 454 UNTIL I watched too many videos of guys shooting it. Most those guys were bigger than me and a couple with guns for arms A LOT bigger than me, and they had that steel jumping every which ways! I decided no thanks, and went with the redhawk in 45 colt. With those b-bore loads in it, even with the Hogue grips, it's really about as much as I wanna handle...
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I love my 454's. They haven't scared me yet. I must say though, the 454 Puma lever gun with full house loads is a shoulder banger.
        A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

I have a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt that I inherited when Butch departed. It doesn't have anything but the steel butt plate and the +P loads in it are enough for me. My Bisley 45 Colt has a good amount of barrel flip with heavy +P loads but it doesn't hurt.

There was time 'bout 10 years ago when I had a messed up hand. Professor Murphy visited this forum quite often then and he advised me to take up the 41 Mag. I had good success with the 41 mag but eventually my hand got better so I graduated back to the 44 mag and now to this "Beautiful Beast" as SmokeRoss called it.

In all reality I could do all of my hunting in Iowa with a 357 and kill just as many deer. I will only take broadside shots at a distance where I know I can make a clean kill. I have had people scoff at me but a 357 125 grain Hollow Point will blow a dandy hole through the lower half of any deers chest cavity and lead to a very short, wide blood trail. However using the same handgun over and over is like an artist painting the same picture over and over. Besides I shoot 500 rounds into the dirt bank for everyone that I shoot at a critter....if not more.

There is just something about mastering a new handgun that intrigues me. Had I been able to shoot this Toklat like I can a 686 from the get go then I would have been disappointed. There would have been nothing to accomplish. The very last time the Toklat hammer fell when shooting at the milk jugs it fell on cylinder with an already been fired round. Sometimes I don't pay attention and think I have one left when I don't. After that dry fire on what I thought was a live round I had to chuckle a bit and said out loud......"You flinched like a girl." And I did! More work to do!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
            Put it this way....I was seriously considering the 454 UNTIL I watched too many videos of guys shooting it. Most those guys were bigger than me and a couple with guns for arms A LOT bigger than me, and they had that steel jumping every which ways! I decided no thanks, and went with the redhawk in 45 colt. With those b-bore loads in it, even with the Hogue grips, it's really about as much as I wanna handle...
            And yet I've had women shoot mine and come back asking to do it again. Some guys even though they are large, ain't really all that manly.
            Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
              And yet I've had women shoot mine and come back asking to do it again. Some guys even though they are large, ain't really all that manly.
              It's really kind of a hoot. Nothing about shooting this Toklat hurts. It's just that I am naturally trying to counter that jumping up in the air when really I just need to let it jump. Heck it always comes back down with narry a thing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
                As I feared, my Manliness is equated with my unwillingness to deal with Heavy Recoil.

I'm with 4merguide. I knows my limitations. It is 357 and 44 mag with caveats.

There is a mindset that suggests going out an purchasing the most powerful cartridge handgun with the shortest barrel, because you MIGHT need to outdraw a huge Brown Bear, (But, you'd settle for a Blackie) for your trip to Alaska, or your next fishing trip to the Russian River.

The choice is yours, but I think, one should consider how quickly he can RECOVER from recoil and fire the next shot. For me, it's not just RAW POWER, but how well you can shoot, your choice.

Our late BB suggested that one is better off choosing what he shoots well, even if it's not the Most powerful out there. That makes much sense to me.

EKC shoots 100 FLs with Toklat 454, Without Pain is a good report. It may be less of a challenge to him than I thought it might be.

This Toklat appears to be a well designed revolver. I would not apply that to a snub-nose version, though.
                Smitty of the North
                Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                You can't out-give God.

Comment

I agree Smitty, the Toklat doesnít have the felt recoil that I expected it to have. Most of that recoil is absorbed by the cushioned grip that comes with the gun.

Recoil is recoil! Every cartridge of equal loading is going to exhibit the same amount of ftlbs of recoil. However the felt recoil depends on factors such as weight of the gun and distribution of that recoil. In the case of the Toklat, Ruger has done a fine job. I would by far rather shoot this Toklat with full house loads than a full house 44 mag load in a short Blackhawk with the factor grip.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X