Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruger .45 cylinder change?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ruger .45 cylinder change?

    I have read a few times about putting a .454 Casull cylinder from a Super Redhawk in a .45 Colt Redhawk. It can't be that simple or Ruger would offer interchangeable cylinders right?

    Has to be a down side to this alleged easy cylinder swap. What is it?

  • #2
    I've done it. I was a direct drop in. No need for Ruger to offer interchangeable cylinder. The 454 SRH says 454 Casull, 45 Colt right on it. The 45 Colt Redhawk is just that, a 45 Colt. But, the Redhawk is a beast of gun and the cylinder is much beefier than a 45 Colt Blackhawk. So much so that it can handle a steady diet of 50,000psi loads which is nipping at the heals of the 454. (Although the 454 in the Freedom Arms is in it's own league as it well should be!). The Redhawk can handle the "5 shot" 45 Colt loads that are shot in the custom 5 shot 45 Colt guns by Linebaugh and the like.

    Here is a write up of when I did the swap, although since photobucket jacked us around there are no more pics. I can send you pics though if you want.

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=454+redhawk

    But, knowing what I know now, if the swap was going to cost me any money I'd not mess with it. No need really, the 45 Colt Redhawk is a beast. But, the 454 Redhawk is kind of cool though and handy as my backup when the main gun is the 454 FA for hunting.



    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

    Comment


    • #3
      A few pics of the swap. Cranes stay with each gun. Extractor assembly stays with each cylinder.

      Redhawk disassembled


      SRH disassembled





      SRH cylinder on RH crane



      454 Redhawk. Headspace, cylinder gap and timing are all in spec. I ended up selling the SRH to a guy and he wanted the 454 Colt cylinder in it so I popped it in. I had to file a skosh off the pawl for it to rotate the cylinder. No biggie. I suppose it's possible it could have been an issue with the Redhawk but it wasn't.

      A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

      Comment


      • #4
        I will probably leave the Redhawk as is. I picked up some hard cast 335 grain LBT's and they will probably be all I want any way. I heard Federal makes good .45 Colt brass, as does Starline and H110 is a good powder choice. Which brass and powder do you recommend.

        Do you feel the Mag Na Port job was worth the cost, I am a fan of it for certain guns. Who made your rubber stocks? Do you know if I could get a .45 ACP cylinder for it, I have a few of those rounds.

        Thanks for the info!

        Comment


        • #5
          I shoot the 335 Cast Performance WLNGC in my 45 Colt Blackhawk Bisley with 20gr Lilgun. Same load in my R92 Rossi lever. It’s plenty stout. Hurts more in the rifle than it does the pistol. I can’t imagine needing a hotter cartridge in the handgun.

          Comment


          • #6
            My Redhawk has a 4" barrel. Sounds like I have the same bullet. Do you know your velocity? For years I have shot 280 grain LBT hard casts out of my S&W .44 Mag. Mountain Revolver and it has plenty of recoil for me. This .45 Colt will be a beast.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by .338 mag. View Post
              I will probably leave the Redhawk as is. I picked up some hard cast 335 grain LBT's and they will probably be all I want any way. I heard Federal makes good .45 Colt brass, as does Starline and H110 is a good powder choice. Which brass and powder do you recommend.

              Do you feel the Mag Na Port job was worth the cost, I am a fan of it for certain guns. Who made your rubber stocks? Do you know if I could get a .45 ACP cylinder for it, I have a few of those rounds.

              Thanks for the info!
              Starline is excellent brass. Can't go wrong. I load it in heavy 45 Colt, 454 and 500 Linebaugh. H110 is an old standby for heavy loads. I like LilGun in my heavy 45 Colt loads. 355gr WFN over 19gr LilGun is 1200 fps in my 7.5" 45 Colt BisHunter. My LilGun 454 load in the 4" Redhawk is quite a bit more and is 1300fps. Some guys like iofthetaiga like N110.

              MagNaPort really tamed the muzzle flip and torque/twist of the gun with the heavy loads. It's not designed to be a recoil reducer but does tame the flip.

              The grips are Uncle Mikes. They don't make them anymore but keep your eyes peeled on ebay. Just make sure they are for the Redhawk and not the Super Redhawk. Also, some guys like Pachmeyer Presentations. The ones without the finger grooves. The one with the finger gooves are pretty big. Might work for you though.

              I'd say experiment with grips and loads before you spend the bucks on Magnaport and see how it goes for you. Enjoy your RH, it's a beast and will kill anything in AK with the right load!
              A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by .338 mag. View Post
                My Redhawk has a 4" barrel. Sounds like I have the same bullet. Do you know your velocity? For years I have shot 280 grain LBT hard casts out of my S&W .44 Mag. Mountain Revolver and it has plenty of recoil for me. This .45 Colt will be a beast.
                1550 in the rifle, 20” barrel. I have not chrono‘d the handgun. 5.5” barrel.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have several Redhawks including the 4" .45. I load mine up pretty stout. 300 gr slugs with a healthy dose of WW296 behind them. I mark the brass so it doesn't get used in anything else. I also have an old Redhawk in .357 with the 7.5 barrel. I load that one up too. Almost to .357 Maximum levels. Feels like a .38 when I shoot that big heavy gun.
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Snyd View Post
                    ...before you spend the bucks on Magnaport….
                    What did that run you....if you don't mind me asking?
                    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                      What did that run you....if you don't mind me asking?

                      I don't remember exactly what I paid. I did have a 15% off coupon and my buddy and I FedExed two guns in one box to save/share on shipping. But it looks like the 4 port revolver is $139. I also ended up having my Kimber MT 325wsm magnaported. Really tamed the muzzle flip/twist on that light barreled rifle.

                      https://magnaport.com/misc.html
                      A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I currently have a .338 Win. a Marlin 45-70 and a S&W .44 Mt. Revolver Mag Na Ported and did the same to a couple more I no longer own. Me likes it.

                        So does a guy named Jerry Miculek and he has a couple demo flicks on You Tube showing muzzle flips on pistols. As many know he is a top competitive shooter with about a million rounds sent down range. Wowser!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Snyd View Post
                          I've done it. I was a direct drop in. No need for Ruger to offer interchangeable cylinder. The 454 SRH says 454 Casull, 45 Colt right on it. The 45 Colt Redhawk is just that, a 45 Colt. But, the Redhawk is a beast of gun and the cylinder is much beefier than a 45 Colt Blackhawk. So much so that it can handle a steady diet of 50,000psi loads which is nipping at the heals of the 454. (Although the 454 in the Freedom Arms is in it's own league as it well should be!). The Redhawk can handle the "5 shot" 45 Colt loads that are shot in the custom 5 shot 45 Colt guns by Linebaugh and the like.

                          Here is a write up of when I did the swap, although since photobucket jacked us around there are no more pics. I can send you pics though if you want.

                          http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=454+redhawk

                          But, knowing what I know now, if the swap was going to cost me any money I'd not mess with it. No need really, the 45 Colt Redhawk is a beast. But, the 454 Redhawk is kind of cool though and handy as my backup when the main gun is the 454 FA for hunting.



                          The statement about the Redhawk handle Linebaugh 5 shot loads is NOT correct.

                          The Linebaugh cylinder is larger diameter and longer. So with a larger boiler room.......why would they not match 454 loads. Which the Redhawk shouldn’t load. 50,000 yes. 65,000......no.

                          No real discussion on this......bad idea.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by aciera View Post
                            The statement about the Redhawk handle Linebaugh 5 shot loads is NOT correct.

                            The Linebaugh cylinder is larger diameter and longer. So with a larger boiler room.......why would they not match 454 loads. Which the Redhawk shouldn’t load. 50,000 yes. 65,000......no.

                            No real discussion on this......bad idea.
                            Actually it sounds like you and I are on the same page regarding the Redhawk. ..."50,000 yes. 65,000......no." But it sounds like you are implying that full house 454 Casull loads are safe in a Linebaugh 5 Shot 454 Colt? I'd not load any 45 Colt to 454 pressures in any gun other than my FA. "50,000 yes. 65,000......no."

                            Linebaugh 45 Colt loads are not the same as 454 Casull loads.

                            I never said the 45 Colt Redhawk can handle 65000 psi 454 Casull loads.

                            Again, the 45 Colt Redhawk with it's large, long, beefy cylinder cylinder is a safe with 45-50,000 psi loads. Which are 5 Shot 45 Colt loads. Garret makes ammo specifically for the RH and 5 Shot 45 Colt guns as you can see here.

                            A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              John’s 6 shot cylinders were 55,000 I believe.

                              The 5 shot are a step up.......

                              I worry about folks pushing limits because”well the manufacturers put in a safety margin and if I’m careful “

                              But trust me .......I’ve shot a lot of John’s guns. The 5 shot 45 is the worst to me.Highest pressure, meanest kick. Including the 475 max off the bench in a snowstorm.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X