Finally, a .45 Colt Redhawk !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, a .45 Colt Redhawk !

Many years ago after watching Dirty Harry and his .44 Magnum I had to have one. Since then I have owned a bushel basket full of .44 magnums. Big ones and little ones and single action Ruger's and double action S&W revolvers. I stuffed lots of powder in them and heavy cast bullets and plugged my ears and gritted my teeth and launched those 300 grain slugs and told every one it was fun.

Maybe 15 years ago I had the gun smith remove the heavy 5" lugged barrel from a 629 "Classic" .44 magnum and had him install a slender 4" barrel so the gun ended up being identical to their Mountain Revolver. I also settled on a bit less powder and 280 grain LBT's and Mag Na Ported the barrel. Carried in a Guides Choice chest rig from Diamond D it is ok to carry for me. So I had the .44 of my dreams and was content.

But, as I aged and learned a bit more I wondered why I did not have a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt. Bigger and heavier bullet and less pressure is my understanding. I found a Redhawk with a 4" barrel and it is in good condition. It is heavier and beefier then my sleek little S&W. I'm thinking 320 to 340 grain hard cast LBT style bullets and Starline brass. I will get the action and trigger worked over if needed and the rubber finger groove grips are gonna go, nice wood is in order. I will look into other sights and another Guides Choice holster for it.

I will shoot it for awhile and may end up Mag Na Porting it. Eventually I may contact Bowen or Reeder about a conversion to a 5 shot cylinder, which will add even more horse power to the grand old cartridge. If any of you have done the conversion please share info with me. I know some of you have wisely been on the .45 Colt band wagon for many years, so please share your wisdom and favorite powder and bullet, I can figure out charges myself.

Lastly, your "rompin stompin monster charging bear" load, heck ya, let me know what you have decided to trust your life to!

Yup, I had a 44 S&W 629 but sold it and replaced it with the redhawk in 45 colt quite a few years ago now. Really like the thing. I'm not a big fan of trusting my life to a pistol of any kind.....ya gotta hit what you're aiming at, and I just don't shoot it enough to be that comfortable. But I do have the Buf Bore 325 grn. (box says @ 1325 fps) loads for it when I'm out fishing somewhere off the beatin' trail, and for in the tent when out hunting. Those things scare me! I actually do like the Hogue grips because I don't have very big hands and believe it helps me to hold onto the thing better when shooting those hot loads. Wanted to get it worked on like you plan to but just haven't got around to it yet. Enjoy!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Blackhawk Bisley here with 5.5” barrel. 20gr Lilgun, Starline brass, 335gr Cast Performance WLNGC. I never chrono’d in the pistol, 1535 in the 20” Model 92 Rossi. I think they hurt worse in the rifle. Tremendous penetration. Can’t imagine it wouldn’t shoot through a Brahma bull from end to end.

Comment

Bought my first Redhawk in .44 mag the year they came out. I've killed a ton of stuff with it. I now have a .45 Redhawk and a .454 Toklat. They all make me smile. Heck even my .357 Redhawk makes me smile.
        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by .338 mag. View Post
          Many years ago after watching Dirty Harry and his .44 Magnum I had to have one. Since then I have owned a bushel basket full of .44 magnums. Big ones and little ones and single action Ruger's and double action S&W revolvers. I stuffed lots of powder in them and heavy cast bullets and plugged my ears and gritted my teeth and launched those 300 grain slugs and told every one it was fun.

Maybe 15 years ago I had the gun smith remove the heavy 5" lugged barrel from a 629 "Classic" .44 magnum and had him install a slender 4" barrel so the gun ended up being identical to their Mountain Revolver. I also settled on a bit less powder and 280 grain LBT's and Mag Na Ported the barrel. Carried in a Guides Choice chest rig from Diamond D it is ok to carry for me. So I had the .44 of my dreams and was content.

But, as I aged and learned a bit more I wondered why I did not have a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt. Bigger and heavier bullet and less pressure is my understanding. I found a Redhawk with a 4" barrel and it is in good condition. It is heavier and beefier then my sleek little S&W. I'm thinking 320 to 340 grain hard cast LBT style bullets and Starline brass. I will get the action and trigger worked over if needed and the rubber finger groove grips are gonna go, nice wood is in order. I will look into other sights and another Guides Choice holster for it.

I will shoot it for awhile and may end up Mag Na Porting it. Eventually I may contact Bowen or Reeder about a conversion to a 5 shot cylinder, which will add even more horse power to the grand old cartridge. If any of you have done the conversion please share info with me. I know some of you have wisely been on the .45 Colt band wagon for many years, so please share your wisdom and favorite powder and bullet, I can figure out charges myself.

Lastly, your "rompin stompin monster charging bear" load, heck ya, let me know what you have decided to trust your life to!
          My do everything load is 16.5 grains Vihtavouri N110 under a 347 grain SWC. The 6 hole Redhawk/New Model/Super Redhawk cylinder can handle all the pressure you need. The only thing you'll accomplish by going to a 5 hole is one less round available. The biggest factor in felt recoil is grip/gripframe/backstrap profile. Small changes in grip/gripframe design can make a huge difference in felt recoil with the same load. Personally, I find the Redhawk gripframe design to deliver more sting than I'm interested in enduring. I prefer a Bisley style gripframe on a New Model Blackhawk, or a wider and/or softer grip on the GP/Super Redhawk style frame.
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
            Blackhawk Bisley here with 5.5” barrel. 20gr Lilgun, Starline brass, 335gr Cast Performance WLNGC. I never chrono’d in the pistol, 1535 in the 20” Model 92 Rossi. I think they hurt worse in the rifle. Tremendous penetration. Can’t imagine it wouldn’t shoot through a Brahma bull from end to end.
            Hmmm, you just gave me some food for thought.....we have a real shortage on bears in Iowa, but we do have some Brahma bulls! That farmer's sure gonna be mad! Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
              Hmmm, you just gave me some food for thought.....we have a real shortage on bears in Iowa, but we do have some Brahma bulls! That farmer's sure gonna be mad! Ha!
              What'er Brahma bulls good for, other than Rodeos? (And now, testing Animal Attack Defense loads?

I've heard of Angus Beef, but not Brahma Beef. You'd be doin him a favor.

UNLESS, he's been renting him for rodeos, in which case, you'd be on the hook for such fees, over the lifetime of the animal. How long do they live, anyhow?

Smitty of the North
              Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
              Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
              You can't out-give God.

Comment

Hamburger and sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
                  Hamburger and sausage.
                  "The Brahman is mainly used for breeding and the meat industry. It has been crossbred extensively with Bos taurus (European) beef breeds of cattle. It has been used to develop numerous other U.S. beef breeds including Brangus, Beefmaster, Simbrah and Santa Gertrudis."

Some claim they are "Super Cows". This is news to me. Back to Super Handgun Cartridge, 45 Colt.

Personally, I think 44 mag is more practical, what with all the different guns, and dimensions in throats, barrels, loading dies. There's so many if, and, and buts.
                  Thanks for your Indulgence.

Smitty of the North
                  Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                  Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                  You can't out-give God.

Comment

I thought about buying a Redhawk in .45 Colt for some time but, decided on a Toklat in .454, would of preferred it be in .480 Ruger.
                    Steve
                    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Comment

Originally posted by S.B. View Post
                      I thought about buying a Redhawk in .45 Colt for some time but, decided on a Toklat in .454, would of preferred it be in .480 Ruger.
                      Steve
                      How is accuracy in the Toklat with 45 Colt ammo? I know the 460 S&W leaves something to be desired in that regard. I have heard guys on the S$W forum say that hard cast 45 Colt loads will even tumble on the way to the target. Sounds like bullet squease before it gets to the forcing cone or something.

I really like the feel and balance of the Toklat and have been considering one. I value your opinion!

Comment

Considering the the odd/small grip frame on the Redhawk you may want to keep the rubber grip!
                        sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

How is accuracy in the Toklat with 45 Colt ammo? I know the 460 S&W leaves something to be desired in that regard. I have heard guys on the S$W forum say that hard cast 45 Colt loads will even tumble on the way to the target. Sounds like bullet squease before it gets to the forcing cone or something.

I really like the feel and balance of the Toklat and have been considering one. I value your opinion!
                          My .02...

I've run quite a few flavors of ammunition in .45 Colt and .454 in my Toklat with excellent results from all. Most HC .45 loads were 325-360 grain. Every handgun I've owned liked a particular loading over the rest and this one seems to enjoy the 325s in Colt and 360 & 400s in Casull. 250 grain Colts are fun for the ladies and teen kids...like a cap gun or .22.
                          sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Bringing up an older thread.

waiting on my 4” RH now.

Brian Pearce did a RH only article in October 2014 issue of Handloader magazine.

Comment

Honestly, I've put maybe less than 100 Casulls through this? The older I get the less I accomplish? Sorry
                              Steve
                              "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X