Colt SAA's in Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    The likelihood of needing to repair a Redhawk in the field is pretty remote. Even if you used it for a jack handle. I don't haul around fragile handguns when my life might depend on it. I also don't use them for jack handles. And I don't subject them to loads they aren't designed for.

Or one could say.... "I don't subject myself to loads the Redhawk is designed for"
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

I'm not even close to calling myself a gunsmith, but a Colt SAA (and a Winchester 1873) are about the only guns I can dis-assemble and put everything back in and it works. The cylinder bolt is about the only part that does need fitting, and I have a one in my spare parts bag. I have been able to drop in fit any spring that might break on one, and even dropped a cylinder bolt into one once and got it up and running. I've had main springs and trigger/bolt springs break but they are an easy fix. Hand springs are more of a challenge but can be done. Had a half cock notch break on my 44 Special recently, but gun was functional until permanent repairs were made. They're just pretty simple.

SmokeRoss, you need to get that Colt 44 out and get it dirty. They are fantastic guns in a great cartridge. As for the Redhawk, don't break a hammer link unless you have a spare. If you DO have a spare, don't lose that tiny little pin I love my Redhawks too and thought they were indestructible but I can break an anvil so I shouldn't have been surprised when that little hook broke.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
        I betcha those loads are fun to shoot. (I'm being sarcastic. )
        Indeed....I don't enjoy it at all really. But "IF", and that's a big "IF", I can hit that furry pointy toothed critter with it, he/she won't like it either!.....lol.
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Muddy View Post
          I'm not even close to calling myself a gunsmith, but a Colt SAA (and a Winchester 1873) are about the only guns I can dis-assemble and put everything back in and it works. The cylinder bolt is about the only part that does need fitting, and I have a one in my spare parts bag. I have been able to drop in fit any spring that might break on one, and even dropped a cylinder bolt into one once and got it up and running. I've had main springs and trigger/bolt springs break but they are an easy fix. Hand springs are more of a challenge but can be done. Had a half cock notch break on my 44 Special recently, but gun was functional until permanent repairs were made. They're just pretty simple.

SmokeRoss, you need to get that Colt 44 out and get it dirty. They are fantastic guns in a great cartridge. As for the Redhawk, don't break a hammer link unless you have a spare. If you DO have a spare, don't lose that tiny little pin I love my Redhawks too and thought they were indestructible but I can break an anvil so I shouldn't have been surprised when that little hook broke.

Dan
          You sound like a purty goot gunsmith, to me.

To be able to repair your guns is advantageous, for sure.

Smitty of the North
          Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
          Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
          You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
            Indeed....I don't enjoy it at all really. But "IF", and that's a big "IF", I can hit that furry pointy toothed critter with it, he/she won't like it either!.....lol.
            I don't mind shooting my 429 bear load. Of course, I handload it, and can choose a load that doesn't cause me pain.

Shucky, Gee, most Anybody can HL a 429, with a Lee Loader, so no need to depend on FLs that are a pain to shoot. (Which they may not be, less'n you use those Mighty loads like you describe. ) Besides, they are soooo spendy.

Smitty of the North
            Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
            Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
            You can't out-give God.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X