Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixed Sights on a handgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fixed Sights on a handgun

    Nother thread reminded me of this. Humph!

    I've not had great luck with them.

    I hadda Colt SA Army with only the groove for a sight. I figgered it was only for close range Bear Protection, so I probably would just be pointing anyway.

    I had me a Ruger Bearcat, and it wasn't much good for it's purpose of bagging small game, because I could never figger out the proper sight picture.

    Also, a Cap'n Ball 44 Colt, with only the notch on the hammer for a sight, when it was cocked, and that did purty good, ????

    They are close range sights at their best.

    What good are they, anyway? Am I missing something, (More than usual)

    Please share your thoughts on such sights. If you don't mind.

    Thanks

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  • #2
    Are you berating all fixed sights, or just the few examples you sighted? All my pistols and wheel guns have fixed sights, and I wouldn't categorize them as "close range sights at best" simply by virtue of them being fixed. I would ask what is the point of having adjustable sights on a handgun anyway; in reality, how many handgun shooters are ever going to adjust their sights for windage or elevation between shots?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

    Comment


    • #3
      Using fixed sights requires knowing your load but they do work, and well I might add, on fighting handguns.
      I prefer fixed sights on my carry revolvers and bottom feeding pistols.

      Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm happy with them on guns that will be fed only one load. They can be really frustrating if you're shooting lots of bullet weights and vels.

        It's pretty easy to do a little reloading to find a load that hits right on with fixed sights. But wander too far into loads with more or less recoil than standard loads the gun was sighted with, and you're not going to be happy. Snort up a 45 Colt to 454 vels, and you're not going to be a happy camper. But fixed sights on a 454 will likely be right on the money, even if standard vel 45 Colt loads hit elsewhere.

        Guys that are happy with fixed sight usually aren't the same guys who complain about short case life using their Super Dooper Internet Loads. The pressure gauge on a computer keyboard just doesn't work well enough for fixed sights.
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

        Comment


        • #5
          ...all of the above. And, you can have a couple different loads that have the same POI. I have two 45 Colt loads that hit the same POI out to 50-70yds when shot from my SBH, 355gr 1200fps (21.5gr H110) and 255gr at about 8-900 (8.5gr Unique), can't remember for sure the exact fps.

          But I have a Ruger P345 45 Auto that according to Ruger is regulated for a "standard" 230r 45 load. They are right. My 200r swc target loads shoot a few inches high. Factory Speer Gold Dot 230gr hp's are right on the money.
          A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

          Comment


          • #6
            I like fixed sights. I also like good files and make the sight work for me
            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

            Comment


            • #7
              Ditto......

              Originally posted by amigo will View Post
              i like fixed sights. I also like good files and make the sight work for me
              ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

              Comment


              • #8
                A lot of the older type guns had a very poor groove/notch in the top rear of the frame or even in the hammer. These sights are frequently hard to align rapidly and usually aren't square sided making them harder to align. Not sticking up from the gun makes them difficult for me to align rapidly. That being said, there are some very good fixed sights and semi fixed (slide for windage) that are excellent sights. The fixed and semi fixed are a lot more difficult to knock out of adjustment and once either filed to fit or load adjusted, rarely need anything tweeked forever.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Perfect assessment.........

                  Originally posted by rbuck351 View Post
                  A lot of the older type guns had a very poor groove/notch in the top rear of the frame or even in the hammer. These sights are frequently hard to align rapidly and usually aren't square sided making them harder to align. Not sticking up from the gun makes them difficult for me to align rapidly. That being said, there are some very good fixed sights and semi fixed (slide for windage) that are excellent sights. The fixed and semi fixed are a lot more difficult to knock out of adjustment and once either filed to fit or load adjusted, rarely need anything tweeked forever.
                  ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                    Are you berating all fixed sights, or just the few examples you sighted? All my pistols and wheel guns have fixed sights, and I wouldn't categorize them as "close range sights at best" simply by virtue of them being fixed. I would ask what is the point of having adjustable sights on a handgun anyway; in reality, how many handgun shooters are ever going to adjust their sights for windage or elevation between shots?
                    I was knockin ALL fixed/non-adjustable handgun sights. Why not? It's not like knockin Motherhood and Apple Pie. Or is it?

                    Surely, we can't expect that fixed sights will be that closely sighted in for any ammunition.

                    My Ruger SS has a dovetailed rear sight which I had to adjust a long time ago when I bought it.

                    My Walther PPK, has a dovetailed Rear sight, and I've never felt the need to adjust it.

                    My CC 38 has the groove rear sight, and I hafta use a HIGH front sight picture so it shoots even close.

                    The Bearcat was unsuitable for anything but fun. The sights on the Colt SA 357 limited it's usage too.

                    Surely, adjustable sights are better. I was just curious as to how other folks felt about the non-adjustable variety. (In this day and age)

                    Smitty of the North
                    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                    You can't out-give God.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AZVince View Post
                      Using fixed sights requires knowing your load but they do work, and well I might add, on fighting handguns.
                      I prefer fixed sights on my carry revolvers and bottom feeding pistols.

                      Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
                      You must have a reason for that preference.

                      SOTN
                      Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                      Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                      You can't out-give God.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                        I'm happy with them on guns that will be fed only one load. They can be really frustrating if you're shooting lots of bullet weights and vels.

                        It's pretty easy to do a little reloading to find a load that hits right on with fixed sights. But wander too far into loads with more or less recoil than standard loads the gun was sighted with, and you're not going to be happy. Snort up a 45 Colt to 454 vels, and you're not going to be a happy camper. But fixed sights on a 454 will likely be right on the money, even if standard vel 45 Colt loads hit elsewhere.

                        Guys that are happy with fixed sight usually aren't the same guys who complain about short case life using their Super Dooper Internet Loads. The pressure gauge on a computer keyboard just doesn't work well enough for fixed sights.
                        I would think that many, if not most of us would be using loads that are not like the FLs that the gun was supposedly sighted in for.

                        When you HUNTED with handguns, did you use those that had Fixed Sights?

                        SOTN
                        Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                        Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                        You can't out-give God.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
                          I like fixed sights. I also like good files and make the sight work for me
                          I reckon that is a "Possibility".

                          It's easy to file too much. I've done that and needed Andy to weld some more on, so I could file it off again. (Talking bout rifle here.)

                          Smitty of the North
                          Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                          Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                          You can't out-give God.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rbuck351 View Post
                            A lot of the older type guns had a very poor groove/notch in the top rear of the frame or even in the hammer. These sights are frequently hard to align rapidly and usually aren't square sided making them harder to align. Not sticking up from the gun makes them difficult for me to align rapidly. That being said, there are some very good fixed sights and semi fixed (slide for windage) that are excellent sights. The fixed and semi fixed are a lot more difficult to knock out of adjustment and once either filed to fit or load adjusted, rarely need anything tweeked forever.
                            Sure, but I'm not talking about how "Good" the sights, "sight", but the fact that you can't adjust them.

                            SOTN
                            Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                            Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                            You can't out-give God.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
                              I like fixed sights. I also like good files and make the sight work for me
                              I concur.

                              Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X