No announcement yet.

41 Magnum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like every time something bigger comes along nothing else will do? I agree with bears being killed with .357 magnums but, now we have the S&W 500, oh boy. I say, any bear charge that a hunter encounters that the he walks away from is a good one.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Comment

I have a RBH in 6 1/2" and have found a way to make 270gr jacketed bullets from 40S&W cases filled with wheel weight lead. A case full of H110/W296 will push these to 1200 fps. I am very confident this load will put down anything in Ak with decent bullet placement. I have a 225gr cast load that runs 1480fps that would probably work well but I prefer the heavier bullet for better penetration.

Comment

A study that was done in Alaska and Canada and written up in Alaska Magazine showed more successful DLP shooting with .357 than any other round. It may have simply been luck, size of bear, distance, circumstance, or the fact that quite a few people carry guns that they may can't shoot well- I don't know. I do know that I would feel just as comfortable carrying a .41 as a .44 and would put more importance on the construction of the projectile than caliber. An old friend of mine shot a number of blackies and one large Brown with a .41 and it was his favorite handgun.

Comment

I bet there are lots more .357s carried than any other caliber. The .41 Mag is more of an enthusiasts round.
          Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
          A study that was done in Alaska and Canada and written up in Alaska Magazine showed more successful DLP shooting with .357 than any other round. It may have simply been luck, size of bear, distance, circumstance, or the fact that quite a few people carry guns that they may can't shoot well- I don't know. I do know that I would feel just as comfortable carrying a .41 as a .44 and would put more importance on the construction of the projectile than caliber. An old friend of mine shot a number of blackies and one large Brown with a .41 and it was his favorite handgun.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X