45 Long Colt Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
    I just can't get all whooped up over high vel 45 Colt loads. If I want something hotter for more power or a flatter trajectory, I'll go to a 44 mag or 454.

I'm basing that on shooting something north of 30 deer over 30 years with 45 Colt loads from a 4 5/8" RBH at roughly "factory" velocities- 250 grain SWC at 750-800fps. Meanwhile I also took about as many with essentially the same loads in a 4" 44 Special.

All shots were 50 yards or less and mostly broadside. All those deer died with a single shot, too. Good enuff for me, as I reserve my longer shots and bigger game for bigger cartridges.

Each of us owns our own guns and shoots them our own way. But the question of how much you "need" to do it is pretty theoretical. My theory is that I'll do just fine with those wimpy loads in a DLP simply because I'll be hitting what I'm aiming at. A bum hit with a 454 or a hot 45C is still a bum hit. They're good rounds for guys that can shoot them, but the extra power is worse than worthless if a guy doesn't learn how to shoot them fast and accurate.

But a Ruger Only 45 Colt load in a Redhawk or Blackhawk is like shooting a 44mag out of the same guns. Not really a "high velocity" or "hot" load compared to the 44, just a little fatter. 300-350gr at 11-1300. My 355er in my 7.5 SBH is just at 1200. 1100 in the 4" Redhawk. Not really anything to get whooped up about, nuthin special. But definitely a step up from a standard 255gr 45 Colt load. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

I was looking at some of my loading notes the other day and came across chrony data from factory Federal 300gr hardcast 44mag loads. They were 1400fps. I'd say that's "hot".
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Yup. My point is that I'm happiest with the original 45C loading, and if I want a hotter load I just reach for something else.

The bigger point is that I suspect most users will have better luck hitting with the original loading than with a snorted up version, and would probably be lots better off down at 250 @ 750fps simply because they can hit with it.

If folks can honestly do well with something hotter, whether in the 45C case or something else, more power to them. But there's nothing like a charge to test their honesty.

My personal DLP bear load is a 44mag/300/1000fps from a 4" 629, simply because I can shoot it fast and well in DA. Got the 454 and got lots stiffer loads for 44, but I can't live up to my speed and accuracy expectations with them. So be it.
      "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
      Merle Haggard

Comment

Yup. My point is that I'm happiest with the original 45C loading, and if I want a hotter load I just reach for something else.

The bigger point is that I suspect most users will have better luck hitting with the original loading than with a snorted up version, and would probably be lots better off down at 250 @ 750fps simply because they can hit with it.

If folks can honestly do well with something hotter, whether in the 45C case or something else, more power to them. But there's nothing like a charge to test their honesty.

My personal DLP bear load is a 44mag/300/1000fps from a 4" 629, simply because I can shoot it fast and well in DA. Got the 454 and got lots stiffer loads for 44, but I can't live up to my speed and accuracy expectations with them. So be it.
        Ya, makes perfect sense. I know that Joe Nava here in Fairbanks has years of experience dispatching game of various sizes and shapes. The man has been around and his caliber of choice is 357 mag with a copper jacketed softnose or 180gr cast. Says he's put it through many bear skull, buffalo, moose, etc. If a guys asks him what gun to get for bear protection he'll say Ruger GP100 with 180gr hardcast. Like you, he's a man of experience.

p
        A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Originally posted by Snyd View Post
          ...Joe Nava....he's a man of experience.
          I'll never put myself in the same class with Joe. He's been there and done that more often than most of us can dream about.

I will add one more insight and shuddup. I've been charged five times, but never had to pop a cap. There's one theme that runs through all of them:

What you have in your hand when it starts is all you're going to have. If you have nothing in your hands at all, get used to it. The charges come so fast and they're decided so fast, you simply don't have time to fiddle around with holsters and backup plans. Get it done right now or pray for a second chance later in the brawl. Real bears are lots faster than keyboard bears and ballistic table bears.
          "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
          Merle Haggard

Comment

Joe Nava was the fellow who taught the AK Hunter Safety Instructor's Course I took in 1985 and he had a whole bunch of experience then.

My thought...if a 180 gr .357 is good, a 10mm 200gr or a 300 gr .429 hard cast Keith at 1000fps is just a little better.
            Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrider View Post
              My thought...if a 180 gr .357 is good, a 10mm 200gr or a 300 gr .429 hard cast Keith at 1000fps is just a little better.
              Only if you can reliably hit what you're aiming at.
              Merle Haggard

Comment

Only if you can reliably hit what you're aiming at.
                Yes Sir...that's pretty much true about anything you shoot.
                Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by travelers View Post
                  I've got both 5 1/2" Redhawk 45 Colt and a 5" Super Redhawk 454.............

Pick the one that fits your hand the best..... for me that's the Super Redhawk, I agree ugly...

I like the Super Redhawk 454 because if I load the 45 Colt on the warm side, I've got plenty of safety margin.

I like my cases full of powder, so if I load 454 down, I use 45 Colt brass..

Check out the current issue of HANDLOADER.

Brian Pearce has an article devoted to 50,000psi .45 Colt loads out of the Redhawk. That's nipping right at the heels of the Casull round. I don't think the Casull will do anything more unless you are loading really heavy bullets where powder space becomes an issue.

He also answers a reader question about 32,000psi .45 Colt loads out of the large framed Blackhawk.

I wish there was some data using Lil' Gun, but I'm already running 330gr LFN-GC Stoners at the 32K level with Lil' Gun and it's quite a handful to hang on to now.
                  Now what ?

Comment

Back in the mid-80s Ross Seyfried was loading .45 Colts in the 60,000 psi range. The bottom line is that it has been done and it can be done, there really isn't a need for running it that hot, though. JMHO.

Comment

Ross was using special Linebaugh 5 shot 45 Colts for those loads, he did have an oversized 6 shot cylinder fitted to a Seville single action that he ran to almost 50,000 psi range. With the Super Redhawk made to handle both, I would think it would be the clear choice.

Comment

One thing for certain.... If you have a Blackhawk in the house or any other "lighter" models, label heck out of those hot reloads and never mix them up with loads for the lighter guns. Or pay the price.
                        Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by AKBman View Post
                          Ross was using special Linebaugh 5 shot 45 Colts for those loads, he did have an oversized 6 shot cylinder fitted to a Seville single action that he ran to almost 50,000 psi range. With the Super Redhawk made to handle both, I would think it would be the clear choice.
                          My point was simply that the .45 Colt has been hot rodded in the past, and that this was nothing new.

Comment

Understood! Wasn't trying to undermine your post, just adding some info. I have been loading the 45 Colt up for 20 years, but not necessary for 99% of what I ask of a 45 Colt. Now I relegate the heavy lifting to my FA 454.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X