Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 mag question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Sooo, then a 400ish bullet at 1100 is better than a 300ish bullet at 1100? Reely now, How So?
    More kinetic energy downrange. Would you rather be T-boned by a Honda doing 20 MPH, or a freight train doing 20 MPH?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
      More kinetic energy downrange. Would you rather be T-boned by a Honda doing 20 MPH, or a freight train doing 20 MPH?
      That is Soooo Gruesome.

The Freight Train would be more exciting, but I'm sure if would make little difference.

More Kinetic Energy is meaningless. Except in theory, I wouldn't bounce any farther from one or the other.

Smitty of the North
      Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
      Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
      You can't out-give God.

Comment

That is Soooo Gruesome.

The Freight Train would be more exciting, but I'm sure if would make little difference.

More Kinetic Energy is meaningless. Except in theory, I wouldn't bounce any farther from one or the other.

Smitty of the North
        Well I have been to a LOT of wrecks and the train makes a huge difference. I worked a train-V-milk truck wreck years ago and the train going 31mph reduced an 18 when milk truck to such little chunks it was 3 days before we could figure out the make of the tractor involved. The mass of a train dosnt even know it hit something, the Honda will absorb some impact reducing its speed but the train will give it all right back to you.
        Andy
        On the web= C-lazy-F.co
        Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
        Call/Text 602-315-2406
        Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Sooo, then a 400ish bullet at 1100 is better than a 300ish bullet at 1100? Reely now, How So?...
          Momentum. Many pistoleros have gone before and done all the testing. Heavier boolits of proper design make deeper holes and keep going when they hit bones and such.

EDIT... What makes me scratch my head is the velocity part. One can push these heavies too fast. A faster moving boolit slows down faster when it hits it's target like meat and bone. Heavy and "slow" keeps on going. Momentum keeps it going, it doesn't slow down as fast.... okay, now my head itches again... dang
          A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

More Kinetic Energy is meaningless. Smitty of the North
            Swat yourself in the forehead with a celery stick, then swat yourself in the forehead with a ball peen hammer; then come back and tell us how kinetic energy is meaningless.:rolleyes:
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Originally posted by Snyd View Post
              Sooo, then a 400ish bullet at 1100 is better than a 300ish bullet at 1100? Reely now, How So?
              Momentum. Many pistoleros have gone before and done all the testing. Heavier boolits of proper design make deeper holes and keep going when they hit bones and such.

EDIT... What makes me scratch my head is the velocity part. One can push these heavies too fast. A faster moving boolit slows down faster when it hits it's target like meat and bone. Heavy and "slow" keeps on going. Momentum keeps it going, it doesn't slow down as fast.... okay, now my head itches again... dang
              Kinetic energy= energy a body possess by virtue of being in motion. The more mass the body in motion has, the greater the resistance required to stop it's motion...

Comment

Originally posted by Snyd View Post

Liquids act like liquids only when they have time to react, in this case time to get away from the bullet. At some speed there isn't enough time and liquids (in the case of flesh semi liquid) act like a solid which absorbs far more energy to penetrate. S

o you would think this effect would only happen until the bullet is slowed to the more modest velocity then penetrate just as the slower built from that point right? Yes that seems logical but that isn't what happens, see the extra speed energy has the media all bunched up acting solid still with a huge cavitation vacuum behind it so it's going to take more energy to penetrate that new condition from that speed.
                Andy
                On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                Call/Text 602-315-2406
                Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Thanks to y'all for jumping in and helping me to somewhat understand the dark alleys of big bores revolvers, surely appreciate that. I carefully read all your posts, as well as many others, talked to cool and knowledgeable people such as Ashley Emerson (Garrett Cartridge Inc.) and Jerimy West (WWG), as well as a few other friends. Ashley recommended for me to speak to Tim Sundles as well (Buffalo Bore) but, as he was probably hunting, I didn't want to bother him, even though I may give him a call later on, just to hear what he has to say, always eager to learn something.
                  After looking at pros and cons, went with the Ruger Alsakan 480 and feel good about it. Enjoyed the "freight train vs Honda", as well as the "celery stick vs ball peen hammer", that was entertaining.
                  Will shoot factory ammo first (Hornady and B.B) but contemplating reloading, as I am doing so for a few other calibers. The one thing I will need to study close is the crimp; never had to use a crimp on a reload, even on 338 Lapua, so do not want to mess up that one.

Thanks again and good shooting/hunting to all.

Comment

Example I saw in Viet Nam a bunch of us youngsters were talking guns a stuff. Up walks Cpl. Henderson my NCO and plain out stated we were DA's. Well he had us get a five gallon steel pail and fill it with sand and set it out from him at about fifteen yards.We then made our big money bets on what would do the most danage to the pail the M-14 or his 30# Bear bow with field tips.The M-14 made a nice hole and some sand bounced out. We refilled the missing sand and wham the arrow blew through the bucket and sand poured out both holes.The M-14 only had one hole what the heck and then he shot the bucket with his 1911 big in hole sand pouring out a big dent in back of bucket but not through. The arrow dumped its power going through steel and let the sand get out of its way and the 1911 did close to the same thing.The M-14 packed the sand so tight in it path all its energy was dumped and sand to packed to run out the one hole. Cpl Henderson was smart and he later wrote One Hundred Confirmed kills.Some of us knew him before he was called White Feather. Cpl Henderson also proved that from his duty flap holster you could have your rifle on him and he could draw a fire before you could fire,we always kept safety in mine.
                    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Folks,

For a walking in the woods and/or rafting revolver, the concept of .480 with heavy hard cast at 1,100 fps is very appealing to me from a recoil management perspective. My normal preference would be 4 to 5 inch barrel. The only offering in .480 I see in DA is the Ruger Super Redhawk in 7 1/2 inch barrel. Assuming buying new, if I'm going to have the barrel shortened, any other reasonable modifications recommended? Not looking for "tricked-out" just most functional. Thanks.

Comment

To add to my question, I've been considering the .454 Ruger Redhawk in the 5 inch barrel which is available at a very reasonable cost - no modification required. In the .454 one can shoot the 45 long colt loaded with hard cast to a manageable velocity. So the question is the .480 significantly better than a similarly loaded 45 long colt. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                          Swat yourself in the forehead with a celery stick, then swat yourself in the forehead with a ball peen hammer; then come back and tell us how kinetic energy is meaningless.:rolleyes:
                          You will either kill me, or damage me severely, before this thread is over.

It's the hammer or the celery stick, not the the Kinetic Energy.

Damage to my noggin, is dependant on KE, but not accurately calculated by it. That, is determined by the particulars. There could be more KE from the celery stick, but would it do as much damage.

NOTE CORRECTION

Smitty of the North
                          You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by ADfields View Post
                            Well I have been to a LOT of wrecks and the train makes a huge difference. I worked a train-V-milk truck wreck years ago and the train going 31mph reduced an 18 when milk truck to such little chunks it was 3 days before we could figure out the make of the tractor involved. The mass of a train dosnt even know it hit something, the Honda will absorb some impact reducing its speed but the train will give it all right back to you.
                            Well, I recognize that the Freight Train has the potential of doing more damage, but I can sustain only so much.

But, trains are nuthin compared to a ship hitting the dock.

Smitty of the North
                            You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon77 View Post
                              To add to my question, I've been considering the .454 Ruger Redhawk in the 5 inch barrel which is available at a very reasonable cost - no modification required. In the .454 one can shoot the 45 long colt loaded with hard cast to a manageable velocity. So the question is the .480 significantly better than a similarly loaded 45 long colt. Thanks.
                              The point I've been trying to make, is IMO, any of the Beeg Bores is more than enough, at a manageable velocity. Recoil can be a hindrance to accurate shooting, which is at least as important as POWAHHHH.

Of course, bigger and faster will do more damage, or penetrate better, or both, but you want manageable, and me too.

Smitty of the North
                              You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by ADfields View Post
                                Liquids act like liquids only when they have time to react, in this case time to get away from the bullet. At some speed there isn't enough time and liquids (in the case of flesh semi liquid) act like a solid which absorbs far more energy to penetrate. S

o you would think this effect would only happen until the bullet is slowed to the more modest velocity then penetrate just as the slower built from that point right? Yes that seems logical but that isn't what happens, see the extra speed energy has the media all bunched up acting solid still with a huge cavitation vacuum behind it so it's going to take more energy to penetrate that new condition from that speed.
                                Thanks Andy:

May you prosper.

Smitty of the North
                                You can't out-give God.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X