Red Dots on hunting handguns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Dots on hunting handguns?

Is anyone using them out there for their hunting handguns?

As much as I'm not willing to admit it...my eyes ain't what they used to be and I'm pretty happy with my EO Techs on AR's and a couple red dots on .22 pistols. I'm thinking of their utility on a Ruger .45 LC.

Any thoughts?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I use Ultradots on a number of my hunting revolvers. Reasonably priced, lifetime warranty, and tough as nails.

Comment

For those with older eyes, the red dot systems are about as good as it gets on a hunting handgun. They are fast to use and more than accurate enough for hunting.

Comment

I think its cool. Have one on one of my ARs. Had a 4x scope on a BFR that did ok from a bench, I just don't have the wrists to make it work from the field positions.

If I hadn't had all that pain in my wrists I would have switched to a red dot. Go for it. Wish I had tried handgun hunting when I was a bit younger.

Comment

Shot a glock 19 with a Trijicon RMR red dot on it. Wasn't my cup of tea, but it was pretty accurate. With the small dot version and the right model of pistol, I'm sure it's good to 100+ yards.

I didn't like the red dot because it let me see how unsteady I was, which I think made me shoot worse. As in, I think the dot basically psyched me out.

Don't have the same problem with dot on rifle.

Comment

I think for $180.00 the ultradot 30 is the wises money spent

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubb...e/9#Post137422
            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

My only hunting experience with a red dot on a handgun has been for rabbit and squirrels with a 22 pistol. They're quick and accurate if the dot is small enought and you turn the brightness down. Just like at the range I keep mine barely visible and shoot better that way. Buy the smallest moa dot you can and practice you will be just fine, remember to keep an extra battery with you.

Comment

Yes. For white tails in Illinois

In my opinion, they're the best there is for first and last lighting(wnen most game is seen).
                Steve
                "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Comment

OK...you guys talked me into it. I'm looking at the new 28mm HD for $20 MORE. I think I like the 2 MOA dot and the upgraded circutry. I suppose I need a new holster too and I'll need to drill and tap the Blackhawk top strap and see if the #8 screws will hold up to my 320 gr loads in the .45LC... they hurt me enough as it is so maybe the extra little bit of weight will help. They are out of stock at Midway so I'll need to wait a bit.

Thanks for the comments and encourgement!!
                  Ultra Dot HD Micro Red Dot Sight 28mm Tube 1x 2 MOA Dot with Integral Weaver-Style Base Matte)

Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Mine is the 4 Dot, 30MM. I'd check around, there are some very good no drill mounts out there? Try Weigand's?
                    Steve

Comment

Thanks Brother Steve!

At least at Midway, the Weigand look like they are all drill and tap which is OK for me. I know it will decrease the value of the gun but I'm not concerned at about that. When I check out my kids will get the guns so it really doesn't matter.

Looks like the Ultra Dots are very well thought of everywhere so how can I go wrong. Now if Midway would get them in stock...

Comment

Try Weigand's website? You might have to remove your rear sight but, someone makes something you won't have to drill? I've got a Weigand no drill on my Redhawk and it's as solid as a rock.
                        Steve

Comment

Steve,

Maybe I'm blind, but this is all I can find on their site and that's OK because I can do it with no problem:

Scope mount Redhawk/Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk and GP-100

Drill & Tap- Remove the Ruger rear sight and drill and tap the top strap for just two 6-48 screws then install
                          this ultra strong scope mount that will stand up to the magnum revolvers from Ruger. We have an extensive
                          history with this scope mount dating back to 1994. We have sold thousands with rock solid results even on
                          the big bore monsters.
                          Accepts all Weaver and most Picatinny style rings and accessories. 4-1/2" long, available in black or silver, matte anodized
                          finish, weighs 1.3 ounces.

The do show a no drill for your Redhawk:

Now you no longer have to drill and tap your Ruger Redhawk to install a rock solid scope mount.

Interestingly, I have an Ultra Dot on my Buckmark and didn't recall buying it. I do like it and it is very accurate on that gun and is death for bunnies and spruce chickens using subsonics.

Comment

Yes, probably it. Redhawks(5&1/2") have dovetailed front sight that comes off easy.
                            Steve

Comment

Another satisfied Ultradot user. Mine is the 4 dot 30mm & it's on my 480 Super Redhawk on a Weigand base. Mine is around 10 yrs old & never a hiccup.
                              Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
                              "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X