Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rbuck351
    replied
    Once you get to Ak. you don't need any paper to carry, shoot, own, buy, trade or sell a handgun unless going through a dealer. There are a few rules but no paper.

Leave a comment:

• stevelyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Selfsufficient View Post
    Once you have gained your residence in Alaska is it diffilcult to obtain a pistol permit?
    What permit?

This is the Free Republic of Alaska. You don't even need to be a resident to carry concealed or openly. Just being inside our borders is all that's required as long as you have no legal prohibitions from owning a firearm.

An Alaska drivers license and a physical address are all that's needed to purchase from an FFL.

CHLs are available for those that want CC reciprocity with L 48 states. I have absolutely no intention of ever going down there, so I don't bother.

Leave a comment:

• LeonardC
    replied
    I would think so, Snyd. I've bought several guns from out of state persons. I'd send them either a MO or CC and my local FFL dealer's information. My dealer would fax his FFL to the out of state dealer and that firearm would be shipped to him, then transferred to me. I can't see any difference if it was a face to face give cash instead of sending a MO.

Leave a comment:

• Snyd
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    In the USA you are not allowed to purchase a handgun from a licensed gun dealer in any state other than the state of your primary residence. Even if you own a home and pay taxes in a different state you can't buy a handgun there.
    Not entirely true. Lets clarify. You just have to do it correctly. It's true that you cannot walk in to a gun store in another state a purchase a handgun and take delivery on the spot, but you can buy one online, phone deal etc. from an FFL in another state and have it transferred to you in your own state via FFl.

The issue is not really the "purchase". It's the transfer. "obtain the firearm if..."

I wonder if a guy could walk-in, make a deal on a handgun and then make arrangements for the transfer to your FFl "back home". It seems that one could as long as the transfer is handled through the FFL's. No law against hand delivering cash to the out of state dealer. He just can't give you the handgun.

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...censed-persons

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaserís own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaserís State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Leave a comment:

• Selfsufficient
    replied
    Originally posted by ADfields View Post
    NICS is short for the FBIís <National Instant Criminal Background Check System> that does the Brady Law background checks in about 30 states. You can get a concealed carry permit that does a slightly deeper background including taking finger prints. If you get this you donít need a new background done every time you buy a gun, you are exempt from the point of sale background.

You are moving from one of the most oppressed states to one of the least oppressed and most free states, Alaska isnít at all a nanny state, you are pretty much on your own to thrive or fail here and most thrive . . . you will have culture shock at first but please donít try to change Alaska to be more like New York!!
    Good info and Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Selfsufficient
    replied
    Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
    SIDE NOTE:...............Mr. SELFSUFFICIENT.............please be advised that all you NEED to be self sufficient in Alaska is Money, a hell of a LOT of money. Even to exist semi self sufficient you need a lot money. At least if you are planning to live alone in the wilderness.
    No need to get HUFFY, just like to know what I am getting myself into. Wouldn't think of going without the ~~~MONEY~~~. I use (Selfsufficient) in the most general way.

As for living alone that will be decided when the time is right. New York will have to stay in NY if I do move.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Pid
    replied
    In the USA you are not allowed to purchase a handgun from a licensed gun dealer in any state other than the state of your primary residence. Even if you own a home and pay taxes in a different state you can't buy a handgun there.

Leave a comment:

• AGL4now
    replied
    SIDE NOTE:...............Mr. SELFSUFFICIENT.............please be advised that all you NEED to be self sufficient in Alaska is Money, a hell of a LOT of money. Even to exist semi self sufficient you need a lot money. At least if you are planning to live alone in the wilderness.

Leave a comment:

• ADfields
    replied
    NICS exempt?

NICS is short for the FBIís <National Instant Criminal Background Check System> that does the Brady Law background checks in about 30 states. You can get a concealed carry permit that does a slightly deeper background including taking finger prints. If you get this you donít need a new background done every time you buy a gun, you are exempt from the point of sale background.

You are moving from one of the most oppressed states to one of the least oppressed and most free states, Alaska isnít at all a nanny state, you are pretty much on your own to thrive or fail here and most thrive . . . you will have culture shock at first but please donít try to change Alaska to be more like New York!!

Leave a comment:

• Selfsufficient
    replied
    Originally posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    What is nice about getting a CCW permit here in Alaska, is that you can request to be NICS exempt, which is a BIG plus when you want to purchase any firearm.
    NICS exempt?

Leave a comment:

• strangerinastrangeland
    replied
    I'm pretty sure theres a big "But", and thats that you DO NOT have to be a resident to carry a pistol concealed, only legally allowed to own one, even if your from another state 4 hours ago. Brig yers with you , the Dali Lama could.....I figure, and you dont have to be a resident to by long arms, either, so if you need a rifle, you can buy one here , when you land, I do believe,.

Oh ya, in this state the Cheif of Law enforcement MUST sign off if you legally qualify for NFA controlled silencers, machine guns and short barreled rifles, no bottle neck there, either, just cant hunt with a machine gun, but short barres and silencers are legal, for sure

Leave a comment:

• ADfields
    replied
    Originally posted by Happily View Post
    I'm quite sure an Ak driver's license is all that's necessary not a year of residency to clarify a resident in this instance
    Correct, you must currently be a resident to buy a handgun and must have been a resident for the last year to hunt as a resident.

Leave a comment:

• highestview
    replied
    Ahh, I wasn't sure if it was like New York State.
    Dear God no,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• sayak
    replied
    Contrary to all the latest reality shows (supposedly) about Alaska, there is not a dangerous beast behind every tree. However, a can of bear spray may be a better bet if you are scared of what may lurk in the woods.

Leave a comment:

• AK Bearcat
    replied
    What is nice about getting a CCW permit here in Alaska, is that you can request to be NICS exempt, which is a BIG plus when you want to purchase any firearm.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X