No announcement yet.

Ruger 480 Coming Back...Again???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger has these listed on their web site now.

Comment

I'd like to see a Super Redhawk along the lines of the Ruger/Talo Toklat in .480. 5" barrel and all.
      Steve
      "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Comment

I have an older one with 7.5 inch barrel and it is one of my favorite handguns. I initially had problems with case extraction, the load I was using called for Unique powder and I was using Hornady brass. I'm not bad mouthing either just stating the facts. I switched to Starline brass, H110 and W296 powder. Problem solved!! Still not sure if it was the brass or the powder.
        Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

It's a pressure thing. I've burned pounds of Unique in my 480 using Hornady brass, some cases which have been loaded 20+ times. Factory ammo is sticky in my 480, my handloads fall right out of the cylinder.

I actually look at that is a good thing as I prefer to operate at lower pressures. So when I work up loads if I get sticky extraction I know I'm at factory pressure, and I back my loads off. My standby load is a 400 gr cast over 21 gr H-110, clocks right at 1200 fps from the 7 1/2" barrel. I have to add several more grains of H-110 to get to the point of sticky extraction, and my groups open up compared to the 21 gr charge.
          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Weren't there some reports of issues with the Hornady brass early on? Particularly with the factory loads. Sticky cases. I've shot my buddies 480 with a 420gr H110 load, starline brass and the cases drop right out.
            A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Originally posted by Snyd View Post
              Weren't there some reports of issues with the Hornady brass early on? Particularly with the factory loads. Sticky cases. I've shot my buddies 480 with a 420gr H110 load, starline brass and the cases drop right out.
              Yes, some felt Hornady brass was the problem. When I started having problems I did quite a bit of research. Most suggestions were to dump the Hornady brass and go with Starline. I ordered a fair amount of Starline brass but also changed my load. My .480 Ruger is an early model with a six shot cylinder. Some felt the six shot cylinder was the culprit, a manufacturing defect because the cylinder walls were too thin, causing sticky case extraction. I couldn't imagine this being the problem as I knew several people shooting the same revolver without problems. I honestly don't know what the cause was but I no longer have issues. The loads I shoot now are more stout than those I shot using Unique and Starline brass so it beats me. I'd also heard that in the early models, the cylinder bores weren't honed smooth. I'm just glad the change I made has worked for me and didn't have work done on the revolver to solve an issue I really didn't have.
              Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

I had Speer 375 loads that were sticky. They were loaded at 1550fps by my chronograph. I dropped them to 1500 and no problems occurred. I read that Ruger loaded test loads to around 120,000 psi without measurable problems to the firearm. They put somewhere around 300 rounds of these loads thru each chamber. Jim

Comment

My 480 was produced in the first year of production. I've lost track of how many rounds I've put through it, must be over 5000 by now with roughly 1/2 of those full power and some unintentionally +p when working up loads without much data available in the early days. I'm still using the same 10+ y/o brass with many of the cases being loaded over 20 times and all of it Hornady brass. I loose the occasional case to a crack at the mouth due to being worked by belling and crimping.

All I can say is in my gun 390-410 gr cast under 21 gr H-110 or lil-gun and lit off with a CCI 350 will clock 1200 fps and the brass falls right out. I have to go to 23-24 gr of H-110 before the cases start to get sticky, and those must be clocking over 1300 fps. I used to have a 460 gr mold and as I recall 19 gr of H-110 would get me 1100 fps and sticky extraction, but that bullet is too much of a good thing in the 480 IMHO, but it does penetrate within 90% as deep as the best 475 and 500 linebaugh loads and better than most.

Any revolver will give you sticky extraction if you load it hot enough. The only issue with the 480 is that the operating pressure of the round is within spitting distance of the point where brass will start sticking. Most revolver rounds you have to load them well over published max loads to get a case to stick. With the 480 that is the combination of a relatively high for a revolver operating pressure of 48,000 psi, and the relatively thin cylinder walls as a result of the six shot cylinder.

It can handle the pressure just fine, but the perception is that it must be operating too hot or the cylinder isn't strong enough.
                  Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Comment

Hey Paul, just wondered if you have seen any of the forcing cone erosion or to strap cutting that is often attributed to Lil Gun. I've run a couple pounds through mine with no issues. Mostly I've burned H-110. Mine is also an early gun. Early that it was under $500 new on Gun Broker roud:
                    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
                    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

My forcing cone might be a little frosted, but I don't recall seeing any top strap cutting. I think I've run a pound of lil gun and am on my third pound of H-110 through the gun. My gun was a combination of a trade of some cast bullets and some cash. The guy I got it from had gotten both the 7 1/2" and 9 1/2" guns and I ended up with the 7 1/2".

I never had any issues with Lil-gun, but after hearing about people sometimes getting pressure spikes I went back to H-110. H-110 just seems to be a rock steady consistent powder for heavy for caliber bullets in magnum revolvers. I guess I'm a sucker for the old standbys.

Comment

I had one in Target Grey and sold it. It would stick on Hornaday ammo and handloads. I ended up with one of the new stainless ones and it seems pretty much happy with everything. Shoots great.

Comment

Originally posted by Max475 View Post
                          I had one in Target Grey and sold it. It would stick on Hornaday ammo and handloads. I ended up with one of the new stainless ones and it seems pretty much happy with everything. Shoots great.
                          I seem to remember reading something recently that they tightened up the chambers on the new 480's.
                          A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Originally posted by Max475 View Post
                            I love the target grey. Definitely my favorite.
                            Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
                            "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

Originally posted by Snyd View Post
                              I seem to remember reading something recently that they tightened up the chambers on the new 480's.
                              Nope, they opened the chambers up a bit. So far so good as far as extraction is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitworth View Post
                                Nope, they opened the chambers up a bit. So far so good as far as extraction is concerned.
                                whoops... guess I got it backwards :shot:

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X