X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent! Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Do any of you guys hunt with jacketed HP or is everyone lead only?

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
        Do any of you guys hunt with jacketed HP or is everyone lead only?
        Many reasons to not use JHP's in pistols in Alaska. Expansion is unreliable, the rounded nose profile can deflect off bone, if the bullet does expand penetration will be less. Pistols do not kill with velocity like rifles, they punch a hole, the longer, straighter, larger the better. Flat nose cast boolits do just that. These may not be a big deal with a deer but for larger tougher critters and the bears we have a cast boolit with a good sized flat nose is the better choice. Many a pistolero has gone before us and figure this stuff out.

There a a few exceptions to this possibly like runng the 454 Casull the way it was designed. 260gr at 1800 fps. Or the 460 S&W running a 260 gr at over 2000. But, even then most choose to go heavy and slow instead of light and fast in those calibers.

I shot all these deer with the boolit below at 1200 fps. Worked great on the deer and would also be a viable load in a bear defense situation if need be. No way I'd want a JHP in any of my pistols here in AK. Well, except my 45 Auto CC town gun.

355gr

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Originally posted by Snyd View Post
          Many reasons to not use JHP's in pistols in Alaska. Expansion is unreliable, the rounded nose profile can deflect off bone, if the bullet does expand penetration will be less. Pistols do not kill with velocity like rifles, they punch a hole, the longer, straighter, larger the better. Flat nose cast boolits do just that. These may not be a big deal with a deer but for larger tougher critters and the bears we have a cast boolit with a good sized flat nose is the better choice. Many a pistolero has gone before us and figure this stuff out.

There a a few exceptions to this possibly like runng the 454 Casull the way it was designed. 260gr at 1800 fps. Or the 460 S&W running a 260 gr at over 2000. But, even then most choose to go heavy and slow instead of light and fast in those calibers.

I shot all these deer with the boolit below at 1200 fps. Worked great on the deer and would also be a viable load in a bear defense situation if need be. No way I'd want a JHP in any of my pistols here in AK. Well, except my 45 Auto CC town gun.

355gr

Very interesting answer, I didnt expect that. What about the flat nose jacketed bullets, do you have an opinion on them?

I'm asking because when I was younger (~20 years ago) I shot some lead but cleaning drove me crazy so I switched back to jacketed. Actually during the last ammo shortage I ended up buying some lead and I dont remember if I have any left...

Since I just moved back here I plan on hunting with either 308 or 45/70 with the 454 (maybe loaded with 45LC?) as my back-up/close range gun. Moose, bear and caribou are what I'll be after and shots will be under 200 yards.

So do you (or anyone) have recommendations for jacketed bullets in the 45LC or 454?

Comment

Very interesting answer, I didnt expect that. What about the flat nose jacketed bullets, do you have an opinion on them?

I'm asking because when I was younger (~20 years ago) I shot some lead but cleaning drove me crazy so I switched back to jacketed. Actually during the last ammo shortage I ended up buying some lead and I dont remember if I have any left...

Since I just moved back here I plan on hunting with either 308 or 45/70 with the 454 (maybe loaded with 45LC?) as my back-up/close range gun. Moose, bear and caribou are what I'll be after and shots will be under 200 yards.

So do you (or anyone) have recommendations for jacketed bullets in the 45LC or 454?
            No reason to live with leading with cast boolits. It can be corrected with a few basic approaches. My recommendation regarding jacketed is don't. Load the Cast Performance 335 or 360 gr to the best accuracy for your gun. 1200-1300fps depending on gun a boolit.

Other guys here may have a different opinion and steer you towards a jacketed.
            A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

In a word, no. Snyd knows what he's talking about.

And ditto what he said about cleaning. I never touch by barrel anymore. If everything is right, you shouldn't ever have a single molecule of lead left in your bore.

I like a 350 grain swc at about 1100 fps.
              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                In a word, no. Snyd knows what he's talking about.

And ditto what he said about cleaning. I never touch by barrel anymore. If everything is right, you shouldn't ever have a single molecule of lead left in your bore.

I like a 350 grain swc at about 1100 fps.

1300 FPS or slower will prevent leading depending on powder and lead?? I got my lead bullets online, I'll check manufacture when I get off work tonight

Can the same be said for 45/70 and lead?

Comment

1300 FPS or slower will prevent leading depending on powder and lead??
                  Nobody here said that. And it's not that simple. But it's not terribly complicated either, and getting a revolver to shoot well with lead isn't usually a huge challenge. Just take it steps.

First, most important thing is fit. Throats should be .001-.002 larger than groove diameter, and bullet should be sized to fit snugly in throats.

Then, different bullet hardness, alloy, and lube formulas work best within different pressure/speed ranges....

A good place to start reading: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf
                  ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                  I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                  The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

1300 FPS or slower will prevent leading depending on powder and lead?? I got my lead bullets online, I'll check manufacture when I get off work tonight

Can the same be said for 45/70 and lead?
                    Velocity is only one part of the equation. Proper boolit size/fit is most important provided the mechanics of the gun are correct like cylinder throats that aren't under or oversized and lack of any bore constriction. And yes, cast boolits can be shot in rifles with no leading.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X