Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have that same love for the 357. I shoot a 170gr SWC from Lyman out of a Ruger SBH w/ 6 1/2" barrel. Haven't tried it on deer size game yet but the season is young here in NC. On another note I killed a doe Saturday with my new 45LC Ruger SBH with my home rolled 255 gr SWC from a LEE mold. What a great feeling knowing I cast the bullet worked up the load and rolled a deer with it.

Comment

Originally posted by fishnnut View Post
      I have that same love for the 357. I shoot a 170gr SWC from Lyman out of a Ruger SBH w/ 6 1/2" barrel. Haven't tried it on deer size game yet but the season is young here in NC. On another note I killed a doe Saturday with my new 45LC Ruger SBH with my home rolled 255 gr SWC from a LEE mold. What a great feeling knowing I cast the bullet worked up the load and rolled a deer with it.
      Here in Iowa they started allowing the use of handguns shooting straight wall cases during shotgun season a couple decades ago. My shotgun hasn't left the rack since. Been shooting them for years with a Blackhawk 41 mag and now a 44 mag. This year I am going to call upon my GP100 Match Champion to do the job. I have been molding bunches of 158 grain turn coats/gas check. I launched some the other night at near 1300 fps and they landed where they should. They should wreck the boiler room on a whitetail....I'd think!

Comment

Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
        Here in Iowa they started allowing the use of handguns shooting straight wall cases during shotgun season a couple decades ago. My shotgun hasn't left the rack since. Been shooting them for years with a Blackhawk 41 mag and now a 44 mag. This year I am going to call upon my GP100 Match Champion to do the job. I have been molding bunches of 158 grain turn coats/gas check. I launched some the other night at near 1300 fps and they landed where they should. They should wreck the boiler room on a whitetail....I'd think!
        Only long gun I carry in the woods anymore is my muzzle loader and maybe my 10/22 when the leaf rats get skidish and out of range for my 22 Buckmark.

Comment

Originally posted by fishnnut View Post
          That's the side of bullet casting folks just don't get until they do it. There's no better satisfaction in taking game.

Back when my eyes were younger I hunted exclusively with handguns and never suffered from bare freezer shelves. In the span of 20-25 years I was doing it, I whacked quite a few deer with the 357, as in well north of 20. We had a 7 deer limit back then and with hungry teenagers at home I filled it most years. I used other rounds a lot too, but my various 357's often took place of honor in my holster.

Back to your point about the satisfaction of doing it with your own lead pills. The quickest killing bullet I found for a 357 was a 125-grain hollowpoint. It usually dropped them in their tracks. Wound channels were massive out to a little beyond 50 yards, far as I ever poked one with it. But based on penetration and wound channels, I only allowed myself broadside lung shots. Angling shots and big bones in the front end made me nervous.

I settled on home-cast 155-grain semiwadcutters for my standard hunting round. No worries about angling shots, but more than that I just preferred dinking them with my own bullets. The deer tended to run 10-30 yards after the hit, but they died cleanly.
          "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
          Merle Haggard

Comment

Except for the muzzle blast, I find the 357 Magnum to be a very good "utility" round, and in this new Flattop Ruger, a very easy to shoot and potent companion. Perfect for when the Freedom Arms 454 is too much.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X