Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.45 Colt Chamber Throat Reamer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • .45 Colt Chamber Throat Reamer

    One of my buds and I both have .45 Colt Redhawks.

    After learning from various forums and Redhawk owners that .45 Colt Redhawks tend to have undersized throats, we tried the Elmer Keith/Brian Pearce method of trying to push a .452 Cast Performance boolit through the cylinder throats of our guns using finger pressure. Didn't happen. Finger pressure turned into white-knuckle pressure and the front driving band started deforming. It wasn't going to enter the throat without a hammer or a healthy dose of powder.

    I have no idea how big the throats are so I have no idea what size pilot I would need. I only know that they are much tighter than a .452 CPB GC bullet.

    I recall Snyd telling someone on another thread that some of you folks are passing around a a .452 or .4525 .45 Colt throat reamer.

    Soooo........ With my hat in my hand, "How and when may I have a turn? "

    Also do Ruger SRH's in .454 Casull also suffer from tight throats?
    Now what ?

  • #2
    If these are 4" Redhawks they are probably .4515. That's what mine were and from what I understand they are pretty darn consistent. If they are older Redhawks you may want to slug the bores to see if you really need to ream the throats, probably should anyway. The .4525 reamer comes with a few pilots like, .450,.4505,.451,.4515 You use whichever one fits the current throat.

    Here's the thread where guys were passing around the reamer. Well, selling it to each other for the same price...

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...the-45-s/page3

    Another thing you could do is send the cylinders to cylindersmith. He gives a "multi-cylinder" discount.

    http://cylindersmith.com/

    The 454 cylinder I put in my redhawk has tighter chambers and a .452 boolit drops through the throats. Better dimensions.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

    Comment


    • #3
      I had mine done by a friend who is a SASS cowboy gunsmith and he did .4530 on my Blackhawk and it made a world of difference in accuracy. Was shooting 8" patterns at 25 yds now down to 3" and can do better if I try...I suppose.

      Follow Snyd's advice and slug your barrel and go from there.
      Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

      Comment


      • #4
        FYI, I just mailed the "pass around" reamer to forum member "travelers" this week. Contact him if you want to be next. It's too long to post on here, but the method that I've read in several places didn't really use the pilots anyway. You use a cut off case as a bushing around the reamer in the chamber to guide the reamer concentricly into the throats.

        Comment


        • #5
          I just got the reamer friday. I'll get mine done and send it on to you, stevelyn.
          PM your address.

          I have a couple of SRH's 454. on both of those the throats measure .4545.
          I shoot .454 diameter lead in them.
          Doug
          "The older I get, the better I was."

          Comment


          • #6
            pilots vs guide

            I've read of several instances on the Ruger forums where the throats were nto concentric with the chambers. Probably doesn't happen often but it does mean with Ruger's machining process the chance for error is present.

            IF you have a case with uniform case walls, using a cut off case as a guide may help true up the alignment of the chambers and the throats.

            My .45 Redhawk is still at Ruger - I'm really curious as to what they will do with it. Replacing the barrel with a good one will take care of most of the ills except for the uneven stamping of "Redhawk" on the side of the frame.

            In any event- I'll report what the throats are when I get mine back.


            Originally posted by evandailey View Post
            FYI, I just mailed the "pass around" reamer to forum member "travelers" this week. Contact him if you want to be next. It's too long to post on here, but the method that I've read in several places didn't really use the pilots anyway. You use a cut off case as a bushing around the reamer in the chamber to guide the reamer concentricly into the throats.
            Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
            ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

            Comment


            • #7
              Travelers,
              just posted in the other thread: if no one else speaks up, i'd like to use the reamer next.

              Comment


              • #8
                Evandailey,
                Any chance you could post links to your reading? i'm pretty sure i'm going to have to do mine, since its a new 4" .45 Colt Redhawk.

                Thanks!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 1buba View Post
                  Evandailey,
                  Any chance you could post links to your reading? i'm pretty sure i'm going to have to do mine, since its a new 4" .45 Colt Redhawk.

                  Thanks!
                  I didn't read it online. It was in the Beartooth bullets book, and in a book published by a gunsmith over on Rugerforum.net, sorry.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks everyone for your input and assistence. I'll follow the suggestions here since this is both mine and AKyahoody's first attempt at such a thing.

                    Snyd:

                    They are 4" Redhawks. We were also talking about slugging the barrels lastnight before I posted the thread. I think I'll go ahead and do that since I have access to .45 lead balls and have a huge stash of .54 for myself. I'm also impressed with the stated turnaround on the cylindersmith website.

                    Fin & evandailey:

                    We have large batches of spankin' new Starline brass that looks thicker and more uniform than anything I've seen. Think that'll work okay as a bushing?

                    travelers:

                    PM incoming your way.
                    Now what ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Lopping the head off starline brass to make a sleeve works fine. I did it that way when I did my SBH. Along with the pilot. I bet your bores are .451 and throats are .4515. Probably shoot lights out with .451 j-bullets. Reaming to .4525 will definitely increase accuracy with .452 cast boolits. Let us know how it goes!
                      A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        stevelyn had the first request in after myself.
                        And then 1buba.

                        Snyd, could this thread be a sticky to best keep track of request ?
                        "The older I get, the better I was."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by travelers View Post

                          Snyd, could this thread be a sticky to best keep track of request ?
                          ...done.....
                          A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just curious - has anyone with the new Redhawks checked the barrel to cylinder gap and if so - what readings are you getting?



                            Originally posted by stevelyn View Post
                            One of my buds and I both have .45 Colt Redhawks.

                            After learning from various forums and Redhawk owners that .45 Colt Redhawks tend to have undersized throats, we tried the Elmer Keith/Brian Pearce method of trying to push a .452 Cast Performance boolit through the cylinder throats of our guns using finger pressure. Didn't happen. Finger pressure turned into white-knuckle pressure and the front driving band started deforming. It wasn't going to enter the throat without a hammer or a healthy dose of powder.

                            I have no idea how big the throats are so I have no idea what size pilot I would need. I only know that they are much tighter than a .452 CPB GC bullet.

                            I recall Snyd telling someone on another thread that some of you folks are passing around a a .452 or .4525 .45 Colt throat reamer.

                            Soooo........ With my hat in my hand, "How and when may I have a turn? "

                            Also do Ruger SRH's in .454 Casull also suffer from tight throats?
                            Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
                            ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tvfinak View Post
                              Just curious - has anyone with the new Redhawks checked the barrel to cylinder gap and if so - what readings are you getting?
                              On a half dozen or so Redhawks/SRH;
                              .005-.006 B/C
                              .002-.003 Endshake
                              "The older I get, the better I was."

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X