Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5" Bulldog?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5" Bulldog?

    Charter Arms' website lists several of their revolvers with longer, 5" barrels. Has anybody heard about these?

    I've had the hankering to pick up a Bulldog or Mag Pug as a light trail gun for a while, but even their 4" barrels seemed a little short. I've felt like something with a 5-6" barrel would be just the right amount of gun. (I live in WA and there are only a few blackbears near my parents' town in the SE.)

  • #2
    I have watched the Charter name for fourty year with at least four different folks running the brand.Their best 44's were mid 90's but still not something I would bet my life on
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Crookedknife View Post
      Charter Arms' website lists several of their revolvers with longer, 5" barrels. Has anybody heard about these?

      I've had the hankering to pick up a Bulldog or Mag Pug as a light trail gun for a while, but even their 4" barrels seemed a little short. I've felt like something with a 5-6" barrel would be just the right amount of gun. (I live in WA and there are only a few blackbears near my parents' town in the SE.)
      Me too. The 5 inch barrel versions are the only ones I'd be interested in.

      I suggest you get one while they're still makin them, though. Seems, like most folks prefer the short barreled ones, and they will follow the market.

      Smitty of the North
      Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
      Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
      You can't out-give God.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've owned two Bulldogs over the years, and can pass along some insights. I'm not inclined to trying to push a 44 Special into 44 Mag ballistics in any gun, but especially so in the Bulldog. No. 1 it's so light it will break you of the habit. But even with factory equivalent 44 Special loads, the Bulldog will have a limited life expectancy unless they've made some serious metalurgical changes along with the changes in ownership. I don't remember now which was which, or who owned the company each time, but one of my Bulldogs was useless and unrepairable after 2500 or so rounds. The other didn't make it to 1500. I'd buy another today because I really like them for carry. But I wouldn't shoot it much beyond basic familiarization and tuning. I'm not sure what would be gained with a longer barrel though, unless you were tempted to run the pressures up. Not in my Bulldogs.
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

        Comment


        • #5
          The new Ruger in 44special would be a much better choice JMHO
          Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
            I've owned two Bulldogs over the years, and can pass along some insights. I'm not inclined to trying to push a 44 Special into 44 Mag ballistics in any gun, but especially so in the Bulldog. No. 1 it's so light it will break you of the habit. But even with factory equivalent 44 Special loads, the Bulldog will have a limited life expectancy unless they've made some serious metalurgical changes along with the changes in ownership. I don't remember now which was which, or who owned the company each time, but one of my Bulldogs was useless and unrepairable after 2500 or so rounds. The other didn't make it to 1500. I'd buy another today because I really like them for carry. But I wouldn't shoot it much beyond basic familiarization and tuning. I'm not sure what would be gained with a longer barrel though, unless you were tempted to run the pressures up. Not in my Bulldogs.
            With a longer barrel, I think I'd gain some more velocity, short in a 44 Special anyway.

            Also, some better shootability, with the longer sight radius, and I think a longer barrel points more accurately, and recoils less.

            What appeals to me is the lightweight, and large caliber.

            I wish I knew about the "life expectancy" of the newer ones.

            Oh Well, I'm happy with my 357 and 44 Mag, and I'm probably, better off with them.

            Smitty of the North
            Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
            Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
            You can't out-give God.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
              Oh Well, I'm happy with my 357 and 44 Mag, and I'm probably, better off with them.
              Hey, where's the fun in that? Thinking like that isn't good for the economy, donchaknow?

              I shoot so darned many standard velocity 44 specials through my 629's and Redhawks, there's a lot of sense in a lightweight dedicated 44 special with a little longer barrel for shootability. The only thing that's stopped me from ringing the bell again is the durability question. It's so darned much fun to shoot, I just can't bring myself to behave and hold back. No threat from me on shooting higher pressure loads, but I'll sure wear out another one with standard loads.
              "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
              Merle Haggard

              Comment


              • #8
                So durability's in question... maybe they should be treated like one of those lightweight scandium or aluminum guns: shot a little but carried a lot. Personally I don't need much gun... we don't have many bears where I live in WA - just the odd coyote or cougar or (rarely) gunman in the news. The little island where I grew up in the SE has a few blackbears and wild dogs, but that's it.

                I notice they also have a 5", 6-shot .38 in their "undercover" section. It's interesting, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using one to take a deer if I came across one during a hike. Their 5-shot .357 might be the ticket for me; at least then I could feed it light .38's most of the time, .357 enough to know it works.

                Comment


                • #9
                  No matter the caliber the quaility is the same. Lots of quaility 357mags used on the market for the same money
                  Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Bought my wife a used stainless Rossi 44 spc. Shoots great, accurate and the wife loves it. Seems strong enough to wring out more than the cowboy loads she shoots but have never tried it with anything else.

                    Comment

                    Footer Adsense

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X