Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stop folks from flinching by loading their gun with some live rounds and some dummies so they don't know whether it will go boom or click. First it shows them exactly what they are doing wrong and makes them concentrate on not flinching.

Comment

Originally posted by AK Bearcat View Post
      I am of the 'school of thought' to start new hand gun shooter off with a good 22 caliber pistol. Working as an RSO at our local indoor range, I see a lot of different shooters. There have been quite a few that come in with their spouse, expected to be able to handle the same gun pistol that they can. Some of these end up not wanting to shoot any more due to the unexpected recoil/noise. If I get the chance, I will get one of our range 22 pistols and work with them with these. While some shooters have no issues with recoil/noise, there are a lot of them that end up afraid of guns in general. Even starting someone shooting 38 specials out of their 357 mag is a good place to start. What I try and do is to get new shooters to work on sight picture and trigger squeeze. While there are some that can handle large caliber hand guns from the get go, they are few and far between.
      I think there are going to be differences between gender, personality, and experience, and agree with both the 'start big' concept and the 'ease into it' concept. For some, starting big can accidentally 'teach flinch', but for others, it breaks the ice and all is easy after that. My wife 'jumped' the first time she heard anything go off, even a .22 LR outside ...then got used to it ...only to 'jump' again the first time she heard a .22 LR going off in the indoor range (matsu). Now, none of that bothers her ...unexpected big guns in the range do, but she gets over it quickly and is good to go after that. It's just a personality and experience thing ...starting big with her would be a big mistake. I've got her working her way up with a .38 Spl, starting with fun bunny-fart loads that hardly get the lead downrange and she'll work her way up from there, probably very gradually, working on control and follow-through the whole way (etc etc). She's having a great time, feels inspired, is researching what training she can do at home and is doing dry fire exercises every day ...if I flipped the gun out of her hand with a big load to start with, this would not be true. The acclimatization process is very important in this case. The best training method depends a lot on the person getting trained...

bd

Comment

No double action, all semis Rugers and Colts.

Originally posted by mike h View Post
        What DA 22 are people using?

Comment

Originally posted by mike h View Post
          What DA 22 are people using?
          Out of all I would say a K22 is top dog. But .22 ammo is sad today so no .22 can shoot to potential. Finding what your gun likes is much harder with a .22 then it is with a .44.
          I remember when I had my first Ruger .44 in 1956, Carol would shoot it all day with light loads so I slipped in some full loads with the 429421 with 22 gr of 2400, mixed with light loads. She shot them and I asked what she felt, said "some were LOUDER."
          She was a crack shot and would out shoot her brothers with my Mark I Ruger against them with rifles.
          It is up to you and who you are teaching to determine what they can handle and proper trigger control is always the start. yet I find teaching is the same with more recoil.
          The .44 has recoil but I have shot too many .357's and smaller that had sharper recoil. A little 2 oz gun in .38 can be worse. If there is pain, do not use that gun. A 6# 30-06 can turn a new shooter off quick. Be aware what gun you hand a new person.
          A friend let his daughter hunt deer with a .223 until she lost some. I told him to get her a 30-30. He did and now she is expert with the Marlin and kills what she shoots at. Yet, read the posts looking for wimp loads for a 30-30. If a 30-30 is too much, go back to comic books and computer games.
          My grandson is bi-polar and plays games all night, thinks he is top dog with imaginary guns but stick him behind a .22 or up and he is mister FLINCH.
          Can not teach at all because he knows it all. If he shoots at all I just drop taters in the furrows! if a shooter thinks he is smarter then you, give it up.
          Lady that used to live across the road had a friend over to shoot on my range. He was White House security. Big Bluff type. He set a target at 7 yards and proceeded to miss the whole paper. My friend Pete was here and asked if he could try the Glock. Pete shot the center out and so did I.
          That guy never came back. Too important to learn anything.
          He watched me blow up plastic bottles of water off hand at 100 yards with my big bore revolvers. Wonder why he would not come back?
          I hope he is protecting Obumbler.

Comment

One of the things I suggest to others that I feel helps those new to handgun shooting Is to hold the gun a lot. I think a lot of people dry fire or live fire, but dont really handle their guns much other than that.

The more comfortable you are with a gun, the less you'll have problems such as flinching. Of course you need to learn the correct grip and trigger technique. Becoming completely comfortable with the gun, be it a new shooter, or a seasoned shooter with a new gun, or style of gun, is crucial for becoming proficient with it.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X