Looking for companies that apply Nitride finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for companies that apply Nitride finishes

Over the next few months I'm looking to have some rifle parts, and a complete bolt action rifle Nitride finished.

Today I received my AR-10 bolt carrier group back from getting Nitride finished. I was given an "in-your-hands" promise of 2 to 3 weeks to have it finished and back to me. The work looks good, but it took about three months, one week short of a quarter of a year, to get my bolt carrier back. My attempts to communicate with the company, email and telephone messages, seeking to find out of my rife parts were safe, lost, not done, or whatever, were largely ignored. I'm disappointed with that Delaware, OH company. This bolt carrier was my "test" order to see if that company was worth working with. I know that answer now so he won't get the rest of my business.

So..the question...Do you know of who I can work with that applies the black Nitride finish? (FYI: I'm in the Army Stationed at Ft Campbell KY.) I'm hoping to find a proven company who has a reasonable price, a reasonable turn-around time, and does good work.

Thank you!

MyTime
    MyTime

I think you're talking about Salt-Bath Nitriding. Here's a video clip Of Joel Kendricks who is associated with MMI TruTec. It sounds like a real good thing. Increased barrel life, increased resistance to corrosion and increased velocity. They recommend low round count barrels that have been broken in. Maybe 30 rounds. You want to break the barrel in prior because the once the nitriding is done, what ever tooling and rough spots are in the bore become permanent. They don't recommend high round count barrels because the results have shown a loss of accuracy with those. When I spoke with Joel about Nitriding actions, he said some actions can be treated and some not. The process invloves a soaking in 1100 degree salt bath and some actions can't take it because of the way/temp they were forged or cast. He told me Remington 700's and Savages were OK. Bottom line, check with the the company first. Two I know of that have a good track record are TruTec and Benchmark. I believe Benchmark will also lap your barrel before and after the treatment to eliminate the break-in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiegZ...layer_embedded

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-is-impressed/
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

we use MMI Tru tec

Comment

Just what I was looking for - - thank you!

I found MMI Tru Tec on the internet and there's a location in TN about 4 hours from my home. I found a lot of companies named "Benchmark" but have not yet found the correct one. I'll give MMI a call next week and see what they have to say.

I'd like to get a couple of AR-15 bolt carriers and my newest rifle, a 308 Savage 12FVSS coated. The Savage has right at 100-115 rounds through it.

Thanks guys!

My Time AJ
        MyTime

Comment

I am in contact with a guy from AK who has had many of his rifles nitrided. He said he sends his rifles to Benchmark because they are the fastest.

Here's their info...

Benchmark Barrels
          Arlington, WA
          Phone: (360) 652-2594
          e-mail: benchmarkbarrels@yahoo.com

I'll be giving them a call also because I've got a couple of custom barrels on order.
          "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
          ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

I spoke with Chris at Benchmark barrels today and this is what I learned. They send all their stuff to MMI TruTec. He said that TruTec's new policy is to only take barrels and parts from manufacturer's or Freedom Arms. (I haven't confirmed this with TruTec yet) Benchmark Barrels is a manufacturer. They do lap the bore and chamber before and after to give the best possible result. When I asked if I should fire and break the barrel in first, he said to just fire a couple of rounds through it to ensure it works... also said he doesn't recommend anymore than that for overbore cartridges because any fire cracking in the bore can lead to bad results from being nitirided. He said turn around time is approx 1 month.

I like the idea that Benchmark laps the chamber and bore eliminating the need for break-in.
            ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

MontanaRifleman,

Tomorrow I'll call Benchmark and ask about the 110-115 hand-loaded cartridges that I've fired out of the new rifle. If this process is contraindicated due to the "cartridges-fired count", I will be disappointed, but ok because my new rifle is stainless steel.

MyTime AJ
              MyTime

Comment

You might be OK with the 308. The thing to do is get it borescoped by someone who knows what they're looking at. If you dont have any fire cracking you should be good to go. If you do, then just wait til next barrel. I'm sure Benchmark could evaluate your bore also, but then you're risking the effort and expense of shipping.
                ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

I like the idea that Benchmark laps the chamber and bore eliminating the need for break-in.
                  Good barrels dont need to be broken in

Comment

I too was wondering who and why would lap a chamber? Oh well

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid View Post
                      Whatever...
                      ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Wildalaska View Post
                        Good barrels dont need to be broken in
                        Would you consider a Broughton a good barrel???
                        ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid View Post
                          Kid, tell ya what.... instead of specualating and interpreting my conversation with Chris at Benchmark, why don't you just call him for yourself and get back to us.
                          ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
                            Kid, tell ya what.... instead of specualating and interpreting my conversation with Chris at Benchmark, why don't you just call him for yourself and get back to us.
                            Probably because he is busy building rifles.......................

Would you consider a Broughton a good barrel???
                            I have no idea who he is other than reading his website and reading about his barrels on 6mmbr.com. If someone wants a broughton barrel he can have one. If someone wants a Lilja he can have one, same for a Douglas or krieger or McMillan or Snerdly Snoids...and if Gale McMillan says dont break them in and your particular barrel woobie says break 'em in, then you can toss netshoes at each other till they are blue in the face, that debate has been going on since the net came into existence and before then

But there is no such thing as a Blaser barrel that doesnt shoot submoa, and guess what, Steyrs too. Niether need break in, espcially the hammer forged chamber calibers (and remember what barrle break in is for). Maybe you should try a more interesting debate, such as hammer forging over button rifling, or explain to us why a premium barrel maker would not hand lap it before it leaves his shop, or PO Ackleys views on lapping..... even better.

Comment

I merely asked why a chamber would need lapping. I have always read been told and had the best results accuracy wise with minimum size chambers, and can see absolutely no gain in lapping one unless you want it to be larger. That's all, but hey everyone is free to do as they wish with their rifles, so if anyone feels the need lap away.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X