Muzzle Brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muzzle Brake

I have a Browning Ti in 300 WSM, it pushes a little hard when fired. Wanting to consider a brake for it. I have had Andy Hawks do work in the past for me. Read where a brake does not affect speed or energy. Any thoughts or expirences on this? Thanks Mike

Here is an alternative to a brake, you will get some recoil reduction with out the extra noise around you. Though a brake does not increase the sound of the rifle, it will however direct the report back toward the shooter and stand near byers.
    http://www.magnaport.com/rifle.html
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Comment

I don't consider a noisy brake to be an option and I highly recommend Magna-port. That and a good recoil pad should be enough.
      Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Comment

Check with WWG and see if they can install the BOSS or if not you could send it to Browning and they could install one. If your not familiar the BOSS is a tunable muzzlebrake and it comes with a ported (brake) and the CR (conventional recoil) thread on something or another I forget what they call the darn thing. Anyhow I had the ported on a 7mm Mag and it recoiled like a .410 or so.

Comment

We use a brake that is demonstrably quieter than any other. Magnaport reduces muzzle jump to me, but not really felt recoil. That being said. I dont use brakes

Comment

i have owned and shot "braked" rifles for years, but do not recommend them for hunting as they are incredibly loud and can actually damage your hearing.

with the new recoil pads easily installed, even hard kicking rifles such as the .375 winchester can be fired comfortably. if in doubt try the muzzle brake first and see what you think.
            happy trails.
            jh

Comment

I think it is Matchgrade Machine that makes theseClick image for larger version

Name:	Closable-brake-assembled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	2479060Click image for larger version

Name:	Closable-brake-disassembled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	2479059
              “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Comment

I love my KDF muzzle break on my .300 magnum. Had it installled a good 15 years ago, so sweet to shoot. The noise, yes , its true it is loud, but so is my music. Im not sure they even make KDF brakes any more, but im sticking with it.

Comment

Few will argue that a brake makes a difference in felt recoil or that the shooter hears more of the discharge there are other aspects to consider. Another thing to consider are the different styles of brakes, i.e. radial brakes vs. baffle style brakes and simple porting like magna-porting.

While it is true that the shooter and possibly others behind the shooter are exposed to more noise than a firearm without a brake, that can possibly be an advantage. Since the brake doesn't increase the sound coming out of the firearm only where the sound is directed consider that if you are firing at a target there is less sound directed at the target making that target less likely to figure out where the sound is coming from. This is true more so with a baffled brake than a radial brake, this can be an advantage for predator hunting.

Gus

Comment

I've never been a fan of brakes and shoot a 300 RUM without one. That being said, the question is... what are your shooting needs?

This past weekend I was at a 1K long range shoot with my 300 RUM. When I sent my bullets down range, I could not see the impact because of the muzzle jump, while the guy next to me, shooting a 338 Lapua, could see all his bullet impacts. He let me shoot his Lapua and 300 WM and his Lapua recoiled less than my 12 lb 25-06 (scope and bi-pod included).

Since then, I've changed my thinking... probably 99% of my shooting is load development, checking drops, and practice, all of which my ears are protected. In most Montana hunting situations, I have time to put ear plugs in. And I should mention, that there were a couple of times my ear plugs were out when some of these guys with their braked big magnums touched one off. It was loud, but I got over it.

I've got a couple of large case builds coming up, and they will have Muscle Brakes on them. The Muscle Brakes have a 90 degree port that deflects the blast of the other ports.

Seeing the impact of your bullet is a good thing.
                    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
                    ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
                      I've never been a fan of brakes and shoot a 300 RUM without one. That being said, the question is... what are your shooting needs?

This past weekend I was at a 1K long range shoot with my 300 RUM. When I sent my bullets down range, I could not see the impact because of the muzzle jump, while the guy next to me, shooting a 338 Lapua, could see all his bullet impacts. He let me shoot his Lapua and 300 WM and his Lapua recoiled less than my 12 lb 25-06 (scope and bi-pod included).

Since then, I've changed my thinking... probably 99% of my shooting is load development, checking drops, and practice, all of which my ears are protected. In most Montana hunting situations, I have time to put ear plugs in. And I should mention, that there were a couple of times my ear plugs were out when some of these guys with their braked big magnums touched one off. It was loud, but I got over it.

I've got a couple of large case builds coming up, and they will have Muscle Brakes on them. The Muscle Brakes have a 90 degree port that deflects the blast of the other ports.

Seeing the impact of your bullet is a good thing.
                      I'm having a 4 port Muscle Brake installed on a 338-378 right now, I've heard good things about them but this will be the first Muscle Brake on any of my rifles.

Gus

Comment

I had a 7 lb 338 Win Mag magnaported, it controlled muzzle lift alot but I don't think it reduced recoil at all - The "boss" muzzle brake is, to my ears, the worst of them all - I had Richard Buss / MuzzleMaster in Eugene OR make one of his for a "boss" that simply replaced it and it worked perfect, I still cannot believe how "quiet" his brakes are when compared to the others and they control recoil like a son-of-a-gun - In today's world with all the "high tech" bullets and great components I don't often see the "need" to have to resort to a brake

Comment

I have a "KDF" brake on a my 300WM and 338RUM. I do a lot of shooting away from other shooters (during the week at the range and on our property). The great thing is I can shoot alot for practice, but then screw the brakes off for hunting and install the caps made by KDF, when they put the brakes on. Funny thing is I never feel the recoil when shooting an elk or deer.

Comment

I have a Weatherby 338-378. I had a MPI Thumbhole stock made, a Sims recoil pad, a mercury reducer and a muzzle brake made for it. Shooting it with the brake on is about like a 30-06 and without the brake about like a regular .338WM. I have not shot it yet without hearing protection. I will carry plugs with me in the field and use them if time permits...
                            When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
                            Blood Sport
                            32' Custom Wooldridge
                            MMSI #: 338181573

Comment

Normally taking the brake off will change the POI and it's a normal caveat with most all brake manufacturers - I too never seem to remember any recoil when shooting at game - Honestly, Richard's brake design has completely altered my feelings on brakes

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X