Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FN Belgum action?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FN Belgum action?

    Are the FN Belgum actions a good action,reliable?

  • #2
    Sure worked well on my old .308 NORMA MAG!! Never a problem!!

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a .300 magnum thats never failed using that action. Ive always heard there one of the best you can have.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have a 1951 FN commercial action that is a joy to use. The timing on operating the bolt, camming, cocking, etc. is very smooth and precise.

        Modern guns just don't have this precision although most don't understand what I'm talking about. Everyone is hung up on extreme accuracy although ultimate accuracy is seldom an issue in the field.
        Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
        ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks guys,are they similar to the Interarms Whitworth action?

          Comment


          • #6
            The Interarms are a copy of the FNs but not as well made or finished. Functionally there isn't much difference but the FNs are better finished and operate smoother and more precisely.

            If you have them both side by side you can easily tell the difference. Whether the FN is worth the extra is up to you.


            Originally posted by coues32 View Post
            Thanks guys,are they similar to the Interarms Whitworth action?
            Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
            ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes, depending on which one we are talking about. Commercial FN's are great.
              A few things to watch for:

              I have FN actions sold by Sears in the 50's, that broke the trigger arms.

              They have a 2 piece trigger. Orig M98 triggers fit fine, as to aftermarket though. Rest of action is great.

              Fn400, last of the FN's, had a cheesy Aluminum bottom metal, I tend to like steel.

              The Chines Army FN built rifles from the 30's came back here in the 80's beat up pretty good, and often had set back lugs on the bolts. The field correction for the armorer was to weld and extension to the firing pin to reach the primer .....

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes Fn Mausers are very good actions. The Sears rifles need some parts replaced on some, (two piece triggers), but great actions. The very best are the 1960's vintage browning Safari grade rifles. They have great triggers and three pos safety, though tang mounted.
                Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?


                Comment


                • #9
                  yes, fine action.
                  i had a 1963 FN BELGIAN by SEARS.
                  Swapped out .30-06 barrel for Remington .3338 WM.
                  weighed right at 7minus.
                  kicked like a Georgia Mule.
                  sold it on consignment at Sporty's in Clatskanie, ORYGUN......lived there 15 years.helped run TROJAN.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Best FN

                    The FN Supreme actions are also highly desireable esp. the ones used by Weatherby in building his early rifles. Mine have the SAKO triggers in them; I've seen them in other FN Supreme actions also but not sure if they were standard equipment.


                    Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                    Yes Fn Mausers are very good actions. The Sears rifles need some parts replaced on some, (two piece triggers), but great actions. The very best are the 1960's vintage browning Safari grade rifles. They have great triggers and three pos safety, though tang mounted.
                    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
                    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If I'm building a Mauser-based rifle, the FN is preferred. They're not commonly available now, even the Sears branded rifles are scarce, and getting pricier all the time. The Mark X is a fine action, certainly better than the Santa Barbara's, or a host of 'other' brands, just not as well done as the FN. They can be made to work very well, and I've used a lot of 'em.
                      FN also made a lot of money producing military 98's for governments, and if you can locate one of those that hasn't had the guts pounded out of it, they also make up into very nice rifles, they just don't have the nice lines of the commercial versions.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Darreld Walton View Post
                        If I'm building a Mauser-based rifle, the FN is preferred. They're not commonly available now, even the Sears branded rifles are scarce, and getting pricier all the time. The Mark X is a fine action, certainly better than the Santa Barbara's, or a host of 'other' brands, just not as well done as the FN. They can be made to work very well, and I've used a lot of 'em.
                        FN also made a lot of money producing military 98's for governments, and if you can locate one of those that hasn't had the guts pounded out of it, they also make up into very nice rifles, they just don't have the nice lines of the commercial versions.

                        That was to be my question ! Are we talking about a FN commercial action or a FN military action.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          FN commercial is prefered; the military FNs are better than many of the other military 98s if you can find a good one.

                          Also- you can find a number of the military FNs in .30-06 so they already have the long magazine box etc. if that is what you want.


                          Originally posted by brav01 View Post
                          That was to be my question ! Are we talking about a FN commercial action or a FN military action.
                          Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
                          ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tvfinak View Post
                            FN commercial is prefered; the military FNs are better than many of the other military 98s if you can find a good one.

                            Also- you can find a number of the military FNs in .30-06 so they already have the long magazine box etc. if that is what you want.
                            Many commercial rifles were built on FN military style actions. I have a FN commercial (J.C. Higgins) which was a 30-06 it's now a 416 Taylor.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I've always hated the military style actions with the thumb cutout - perhaps my dislike comes from years of using 03 Springfields. I've got a couple of sporters built on military actions but I can't see why anyone would build an expensive sporter on a military action anymore.

                              Originally posted by brav01 View Post
                              Many commercial rifles were built on FN military style actions. I have a FN commercial (J.C. Higgins) which was a 30-06 it's now a 416 Taylor.
                              Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
                              ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X