X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 358WSM

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Here's the future plan:

I currently hunt with a 358 win. BLR (browning lever rifle). I'm exremely fond of it and I usually handload 250 and 200 grain bullets for it. I want to buy another .358, but get the take down version. I was going to have clymer make me a custom set of reamers to ream the chamber to 358 wsm. Replace the orginal bolt face with a short mag. one. Buy a set of custom dies made for the dimensions of the new chamber and resize 325 wsm cases into 358 wsm cases. The take down version would be good for this project and appears that this will be a success. Does anyone think differently? The BLR has a 1:12 twist which is faster than the 35 Whelen's 1:16 twist. So i would essentially have a 6.5 pound 20in. barrelled carbine capable of shooting 250 grain bullets about 300 fps.+ faster than the 2,380 fps. that im getting from my 358 win. handloads.
    Now, a 6.5 lb gun chambered in what will, for all practical purposes, duplicate the 358 Norma.., I'm flinching already:eek:.
    It is a great idea, and I would only add that the Redding dies in 35-300wsm have loaded up some very accurate loads.., flawlessly.

Comment

Please keep me informed...

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
      Here's the future plan:

I currently hunt with a 358 win. BLR (browning lever rifle). I'm exremely fond of it and I usually handload 250 and 200 grain bullets for it. I want to buy another .358, but get the take down version. I was going to have clymer make me a custom set of reamers to ream the chamber to 358 wsm. Replace the orginal bolt face with a short mag. one. Buy a set of custom dies made for the dimensions of the new chamber and resize 325 wsm cases into 358 wsm cases. The take down version would be good for this project and appears that this will be a success. Does anyone think differently? The BLR has a 1:12 twist which is faster than the 35 Whelen's 1:16 twist. So i would essentially have a 6.5 pound 20in. barrelled carbine capable of shooting 250 grain bullets about 300 fps.+ faster than the 2,380 fps. that im getting from my 358 win. handloads.
      This is exactly the project that I want to undertake. I have a BLR LtWt in 300 WSM and it is my favorite rifle ever. Accurate, light weight, and very well balanced. I have put 200+ rounds through it and have not experienced any feeding problems whatsoever. When I originally bought it, I was concerned with the recoil potential of the magnum cartridge in that light of a rifle, but have found the felt recoil to be very tolerable. Less than my Win Model 70 Featherweight 30-06, which is heavier. I have fired 40+ rounds at one sitting, with no shoulder pad, and no pain. You probably know this, but Browning has exploded views and parts price lists on their site at http://media.browning.com/pdf/parts/..._pricelist.pdf. I don't see any feed ramp in the exploded view, so that would not need replacement. A .325/.300 WSM magazine should provide reliable feeding. Thanks for the info regarding the barrel dimension in the chamber area. One of my concerns was whether the 358 Win barrel would have enough chamber wall for the increased pressure of the WSM after reaming it out. I spoke with a technician at Browning. All he would say was, "We would not want to get involved with that." He should run for government office. I didn't want any guarantees, just to know whether they were the same outside diameter at the chamber. I'm no gunsmith or ballistician, but would think that the 1:12" twist rate would be near perfect for the heavier weight bullets. I'm thinking of the variation in twist rates between .223 rifles built to handle light bullets (1:12-14") and heavy bullets (1:7-9"). The tighter twists stabilize the heavy bullets better for accuracy, but over-stabilize the lighter bullets, for decreased accuracy. I have seen it mentioned in other forums that there are 3 companies who already have reamers available for 358 WSM/Sambar, so you might not need to have a custom reamer made. You might even be able to rent one, or buy used, since there appear to be a number of people out there doing this conversion. That's what I am hoping for. Is there a technical reason why you want to go with the take down BLR for this conversion? There's lots of great information in this thread. Thanks to all. I'm very interested to follow the progress of this project.

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
      Working...
      X