Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feasablility of putting rifle sights on stainless rifle?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Feasablility of putting rifle sights on stainless rifle?

    I asked around a couple of places when I lived outside and I was told stainless is to brittle to drill and tap. I want to know if it's worthwhile or possible to put rifle sights on my stainless Ruger M77 MKII 30.06. If so, can anyone recommend anyone to do it around Soldotna to the Homer area?
    I'd like backup sights should my scope take a poop when I'm out and about.

    Kindest Regards,

    Mountaintrekker

  • #2
    Might try "Clifford Hugg Gunsmithing", 260-5871. Never used him but have heard good things.
    Not exactly what you are looking for, but XS Sights makes a rear peep that will go in one of your Ruger ring mounts (Sight it in, loc-tite one side & use the other side for QR removal/installation. Keep it in your daypack). Still need to permenantly mount a front but could always silver solder that.
    Vance in AK.

    Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

    Comment


    • #3
      Ruger front sight

      You can order the front sight assembly from Ruger - it is a band that goes around the barrel and can be put on with no drilling. They make them in both blued and stainless.

      You can get the rear sight assembly from them also but there are lots of options for the rear sight.


      Originally posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
      I asked around a couple of places when I lived outside and I was told stainless is to brittle to drill and tap. I want to know if it's worthwhile or possible to put rifle sights on my stainless Ruger M77 MKII 30.06. If so, can anyone recommend anyone to do it around Soldotna to the Homer area?
      I'd like backup sights should my scope take a poop when I'm out and about.

      Kindest Regards,

      Mountaintrekker
      Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
      ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

      Comment


      • #4
        I have multiple stainless firearms that were factory dovetailed and drilled/tapped, so I assume it can be readily done. I wouldn't think stainless is any more brittle than steel.

        Comment


        • #5
          tvfinak,
          I looked on the Ruger site to no avail... do you have any other info like a part number etc.? Was it avail only through Ruger?


          Thanks in advance!

          Mountaintrekker

          Comment


          • #6
            Whoever said that wasnt quite right, I probably drill and tap at least 5 stainless bbls a week. Yes stainless is a bit harder on drills and taps but it is not uncommon for a tap to last for at least 50 screw holes before becoming to dull to cut good threads. When I first started my current job my 6x48 tap lasted for 8 months before one of the new guys broke it of in a blind hole. And I'm still using the same drill 2yrs later. As far as getting sights from Ruger, good luck, better off buying from NECG.

            Comment


            • #7
              I ran across a set of scope rings that went on a rail and had a built in rear adjustable sight under the ring. I have the double loop on most of my scoped guns so I can see the stock sights under the scope. The one I saw with the sight built in would get you half way there. I will look around and see if I can find a link, I think it was at MidwayUSA.com that I ran across it. That is a good place to look for iron sights also.
              Andy
              Andy
              On the web= C-lazy-F.co
              Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
              Call/Text 602-315-2406
              Phoenix Arizona

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bear_slayer87 View Post
                Whoever said that wasnt quite right, I probably drill and tap at least 5 stainless bbls a week. Yes stainless is a bit harder on drills and taps but it is not uncommon for a tap to last for at least 50 screw holes before becoming to dull to cut good threads. When I first started my current job my 6x48 tap lasted for 8 months before one of the new guys broke it of in a blind hole. And I'm still using the same drill 2yrs later. As far as getting sights from Ruger, good luck, better off buying from NECG.
                Speaks the truth

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ADfields View Post
                  I ran across a set of scope rings that went on a rail and had a built in rear adjustable sight under the ring. I have the double loop on most of my scoped guns so I can see the stock sights under the scope. The one I saw with the sight built in would get you half way there. I will look around and see if I can find a link, I think it was at MidwayUSA.com that I ran across it. That is a good place to look for iron sights also.
                  Andy
                  I believe Brockman has a "popup" peep located in the rear base on some of their scope mounts.
                  Vance in AK.

                  Matthew 6:33
                  "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Necg

                    X 2 on the N E C G sights. I put a set on my Ruger after having the barrel cut to 21". Rear aperture is a nice option to optics.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Rem model 700

                      I have just started looking for back up iron sights for my 300RUM, model 700. Something just to have if the scope fails. I guess they are out there but I have been looking online with no luck. Has anyone ever put them on existing mounts? I did find a slip on front sight that might work but for the cost I could buy another scope. Thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Necg

                        Sorry, I should have read the last few posts a little closer. The necg sight is just what I am looking for! Thanks

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think it absolutely worthwhile putting open sights on your 06. We should have a campaign to get iron sights ( or at least an option) back on all rifles 30 cal and up. Doesn't someone like Mr. Murphy have influence

                          Cheers

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Easy to do in Kenai.....

                            I had Gator Guns in Kenai put iron sights on 2 Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" rifles. The sights are from New England Custom Guns and are first class. My aging eyes have them hitting about 2 inches high at 100 yards. I may never need them but I want them on my rifles.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              2nd the iron sights

                              I second having sights on anything bigger than .30. I recenly had my 338 wm cut down toa 19" barrel and had my smith install williams fire sights(fiber optics) front and rear. It is an excellent setup.
                              LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X