H&R 12 guage project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&R 12 guage project

I have a project I've been wanting to do for a while, and I'm not sure who can help in Anchorage. I have a H&R single shot 12 gauge that I want to do some work on. Being a single shot it is very light and a pleasure to carry when snowshoeing for hares and ptarmigan. In the fall, when the bears are still awake I always carry a few slugs in my pocket too.

What I'd like to do is:

Install front and rear sights so that I could actually it something with the slugs should I have to.

Even better, thread the barrel to accept choke tubes, I could obviously benefit from using different chokes for different hunting applications including a rifled choke.

Anyone know someone who can do this kind of work?

Thanks, Bobble

Steve at Alaska Custom or Vince at Precision Arms. I'm sorry I don't have their phone numbers right now. Steve's contact is on the banner of the Shooting Forums.

I like the H&R too. I cut down a couple to 19". Boy! Do they handle quick when they're that short. I'm going to have them threaded for chokes as well.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Comment

H&R offers or did last year that firearm in rifled barrel. Side note: did you know that they put a good size chunk of IRON in the buttstock wrapped in styrofome, It just lays in there to add weight. I have the 3 1/2" 12 Ga. and with the chunk of iron out, it is just over 3#'s. Sad to state I am not man enough to light it off with Triple Ought 3 1/2". Mine came with screw'in chokes. It might be cheaper to start with a new one..... They are only $123.00 new or were.
      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'd just buy a new one and install sights, but I want to cut the barrel down a little bit as well. Any idea what it costs to thread a barrell for choke tubes?

Comment

Originally posted by bobblehead View Post
          Thanks for the info. I'd just buy a new one and install sights, but I want to cut the barrel down a little bit as well. Any idea what it costs to thread a barrel for choke tubes?
          No....But here is a different idea. I just went to their website and they offer a 12 Ga. or 20 Ga. 3" slug gun 5 1/4 pounds, rifled, with 1913'rail scope base. So here is my idea, cut the barrel to length of your choice, and have a low power scope with quick detachable rings, and you just take the scope out of you pack and throw two leavers and the scope is on.

As cheap as those H&R are you could keep yours and set up two more.

I use my as a beater/thrasher/disposable walk'about gun, when not hunting, just exploring lost valleys. I payed $97.99 for mine, 3 years ago.

Comment

Good idea, and that's what I use mine for. It is an inexpensive sturdy gun.

If it was a fully rifled barrel, wouldn't that pretty much ruin it's use as a shotgun?

Comment

Good idea, and that's what I use mine for. It is an inexpensive sturdy gun.

If it was a fully rifled barrel, wouldn't that pretty much ruin it's use as a shotgun?

Yes...It would. It would be more apparent at distance. But a Spruce Hen range should be OK.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'd just buy a new one and install sights, but I want to cut the barrel down a little bit as well. Any idea what it costs to thread a barrell for choke tubes?
                I don't know about local, but Briley does it. It's been so long since I had them do any work, I'm reluctant to quote prices. But you should find an answer on the site I've linked. The work is excellent, BTW. I had an older Winnie 101 O/U 20 gauge done with it's very thin barrels. Looks like a factory job, and the chokes screw in and out like they were greased with butter.
                "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                Merle Haggard

Comment

Ya gotta love a single shot!

Especially the older (real) H&Rs, a true workhorse of the woods, truck, canoe and camp if ever there was one! You can still find them in the $50 or under range now and then.
                  Every home in America should have at least 2!

Comment

You can get a new rifled slug barrel here for $65
                    http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
                    Other options are listed as well

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeak View Post
                      H&R offers or did last year that firearm in rifled barrel. Side note: did you know that they put a good size chunk of IRON in the buttstock wrapped in styrofome, It just lays in there to add weight. I have the 3 1/2" 12 Ga. and with the chunk of iron out, it is just over 3#'s. Sad to state I am not man enough to light it off with Triple Ought 3 1/2". Mine came with screw'in chokes. It might be cheaper to start with a new one..... They are only $123.00 new or were.
                      I have 1 of the camo, 24" barrel 3.5" H&R's, steel bar has been removed to make it easier to carry.
                      I'm 6'3" and weigh 240, after I pull the trigger with 3.5" 00 buck my glasses always end up somewhere up on my forehead! Make the first shot count if you wear glasses

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X