No announcement yet.

Stuck Bullet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, not good! The brass rod was a no go. A 5/16th steel rod and a five pound hammer with Break Free oil was a no go. Drove to 30 miles to a neighboring town and got a piece of 5/16ths drill rod and after letting it set all night in Kroil I went at it yesterday afternoon with a new zest. I hit it perfectly square with two vicious licks and it never moved. The third lick was as hard as I could swing that 5 pound hammer and it felt solid but all it did was bend the drill rod like if driving a finishing nail into an oak knot. I said screw this and took it to Ray's machine shop and put it in the chuck of his big lathe and let him start all over. He used whatever commercial grade oil that he uses on stuck tractor bolts and the same 5lb hammer. I went and got something to et and let him have at it. When I got back his luck had been no better than mine. I gave it three more licks that made Ray say if that didn't get it then it is not going to be got. I threw up the white flag!

I turned the barrel around in the lathe and cut the barrel off at 17 inches and then laser centered a 7/16 inch cutter on the bore and drilled that ******* out. I now have a 17 inch barrel that is counter bored 1 inch leaving 16 inches of rifling. It was a high dollar cutter that would leave the bottom of the hole square. You lathe guys no what it's called and Ray said it but I don't remember the name. I do remember he said they cost $50 each so try not to break it. With a bore scope the cut looks real clean and the rifling to the chamber looks like it always did. I shortened the magazine tube to match and used a small chainsaw file to cut the appropriate screw notches in the tube and barrel for the barrel band screw. The barrel band did not fit as 3 inches less barrel meant a larger diameter do to barrel taper. Ray to the rescue again. He had mandrel that is like the jeweler uses to stretch a ring. I got the band to fit perfectly.

It's all back together with a Luepold 1x4 scope mounted in Talley rings. This weekend I am taking this 375 to my son's house and am measuring up my 10 year old grandson and then will shorten the stock to fit him. I have 4 grandsons stacked up behind the 10 year old and they will all get to use it!

In the end it's going to be ok but in the bottom line is that I still feel like I lost a battle that I should have won. %#@(*&^% thing anyway!

I yanked another JES rebored 375 out of the steel closet and said your next.......

Comment

Well that's too bad. But at least you probably made another grandkid happy...!!!.....lol
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Two things I've done in the past are
        1) stay away from the lightest loads
        2) to remove a stuck bullet I run a few primed cases through the gun. Depending on where the bullet is stuck the primer will usually be enough to push the bullet out. One time I added some powder and crimped the end of the case with pliers and that worked great

BTW, both of these methods need to be done at the range because even the primer will create enough pressure to ruin someones day forever

Comment

Can always heat up the barrel, the lead will start to sweat and sheíll slide ride out like it ainít no thang.

Comment

Originally posted by iyouktug View Post
            Can always heat up the barrel, the lead will start to sweat and sheíll slide ride out like it ainít no thang.
            I really don't think that heating a barrel to melt a copper jacketed bullet to get it to melt is going to be the best thing to do here. You could alter the hardness of the steel in that area and I don't think the bluing would be happy either. Steel melts at around 1370F and copper at around 1900F.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by iyouktug View Post

And if that donít do it, load up a REALY hot load and fire that through it. That should push it right out, or something!
              Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
              WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Originally posted by cod View Post
                And if that donít do it, load up a REALY hot load and fire that through it. That should push it right out, or something!
                Ha! That was actually suggested by a guy hanging around at Ray's machine shop.

My grandson loves his little 375 Winchester.

Comment

Originally posted by cod View Post
                  I'd put my money on the "or something" part of that fun...!!!

Comment

I still question the why of it! When I load these rounds i drop powder from the powder measure into the case and then set the case back in the tray. I then look into each case in the tray to make sure that they all look to have an equal amount of powder before seating and crimping the bullet. I don't know why 8 grains is enough to launch every other bullet including 270 and 300 grain Hornady's 200 yards and hit the gong with a thud but wouldn't push this 270 Swift A frame out the end of the gun. It leaves me perplexed. I've always been able to get lead bullets out with my fiberglass ramrod but this was seized in there. Even after leaving penetrating oil in the bore for almost 24 hours none of it worked it's way past the bullet....neither did the Kroil.

Comment

I'm sure I don't need to tell you....."Life's a mystery."

Comment

I would have put it in a press with a drawn rod that fit the bore properly and simply pressed it out.
                        Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Comment

Yeah, I would have tried the press first then if that didn't work, lathe bored the center of the bullet out with a 5/16 drill shimmed to bore size and back to the press. I think removing the middle of the bullet could allow it to move easier. But, who knows, it still might not have moved.

Comment

What Nitroman and rbuck351 said.

Years ago on a moose hunt I had a 225 grain X bullet in the chamber of my .338 and when I left the water hole I was sitting on I cleared the chamber, sort of. I had to hit the bolt handle hard with my little ax handle and the case came out and dumped the H4831 in the magazine. The bullet stayed in the rifling. Which was weird because I had ran all the cartridges through the gun prior to the hunt. all I can think of is a twig or some other alien got into the rifling and I jammed the bullet into it.

I went home and squirted some oil down the bore and let I set standing on it's butt with a folded rag under it. The next morning I stuck a close fitting aluminum rod down the bore and hit it hard with a 5 lb. beater Out came the bullet. That aluminum rod is tapped on the frame of my Barneys back pack, just in case.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X