Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting Browning Model 71 to 450 Alaskan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Converting Browning Model 71 to 450 Alaskan

    Are there any good smith's in Alaska doing conversions on Browning Model 71's to 450 Alaskan? Would like to find someone "local" if possible.

  • #2
    Well I am not local anymore but still a lever nut and I still have the 450 Alaskan reamer.

    Gunbugs in Fairbanks may or may not be willing, not sure how deep he gets into the old levers.

    Wild West used to but things there seem very odd as of the last year or so now and I don't know who is working there to say if they are good or not any more.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

    Comment


    • #3
      I know the Browning is a nice gun, but why not just go with a Marlin in .45-70 or .450 Marlin? I like that old .348 round, although it took 7 shots on my 9.5 Brownie years ago. My Winchester holds 5. It was 25 paces. Yup, adrenaline.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
        I know the Browning is a nice gun, but why not just go with a Marlin in .45-70 or .450 Marlin?
        I have both an original 71 done over to 450 Alaskan by Johnson a long time ago, as well as the Marlin 45-70. Ain't now way under the sun to get the Marlin up to 450 Alaskan ballistics.

        Basically you really have to push the 45-70 to achieve velocities with the 300-350 grain bullets that are easily achievable with 400 grain bullets in the 450 Alaskan, which comes very close to the 458 WinMag. The heavier weight of the 71 is really welcome too.
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
          I have both an original 71 done over to 450 Alaskan by Johnson a long time ago, as well as the Marlin 45-70. Ain't now way under the sun to get the Marlin up to 450 Alaskan ballistics.

          Basically you really have to push the 45-70 to achieve velocities with the 300-350 grain bullets that are easily achievable with 400 grain bullets in the 450 Alaskan, which comes very close to the 458 WinMag. The heavier weight of the 71 is really welcome too.
          Bear is correct on this, MoL; I prefer the 86/ Model 71. Have a 450 Fuller and a 450 Alaskan on pre-war Model 71s. The action and triggers are crisp
          along with reliable feeding of 400 gr Kodiak bonded core bullets. It is a nice feeling to have one in your hands while creeping through the alders
          or on the muskeg with a moose down-and Moccasin Joe nearby trying to argue it away from you. Looking close at those clacking teeth
          will change your whole attitude about 270s or even a 30-06. Now-imagine having a bolt gun scoped with NO IRON SIGHTS.
          I will be keeping my heavy 71s. The interior or SE with ornery bears is the place for real rifles that work.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by old ephraim View Post
            Bear is correct on this, MoL; I prefer the 86/ Model 71. Have a 450 Fuller and a 450 Alaskan on pre-war Model 71s. The action and triggers are crisp
            along with reliable feeding of 400 gr Kodiak bonded core bullets. It is a nice feeling to have one in your hands while creeping through the alders
            or on the muskeg with a moose down-and Moccasin Joe nearby trying to argue it away from you. Looking close at those clacking teeth
            will change your whole attitude about 270s or even a 30-06. Now-imagine having a bolt gun scoped with NO IRON SIGHTS.
            I will be keeping my heavy 71s. The interior or SE with ornery bears is the place for real rifles that work.
            Recently put my XO peep sight back on my bolt gun. I know what you mean.

            Comment


            • #7
              Interesting article in the February Handloader Magazine on the Marlin conversion by SSK to .50 B&M Alaskan.

              Comment

              Footer Adsense

              Collapse
              Working...
              X