Build Multipurpose AR or sell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I haven't even decided in a price yet. I've been checking gunbroker and my set up is going for $1k. Without the extras. I was thinking of selling it for less. It is fun to shoot. I'm going to check these other options out. I won't be ready to do anything with it, until feb when I know about next year. I don't need the money. Just have my eyes on some other stuff. Boat fund. Etc.
    Andy's point is valid. What you price it for may not be worth it right now, unless you just want to get rid of it and take anything they'll offer you. It's not a boat, but you might be better off trading than selling.

.300blk, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 SPC, etc, etc. All worthy choices honestly. Just fyi, the 6.5 and 6.8 spc are both based on non-5.56 parent cases. So the upper isn't the only thing you have to change. You'll need magazines also. At least with the .300blk you can re-use everything (bolt included) and even the magazines. So basically just swap the upper.

Anyway, if you don't need the money, don't rush. Take your time, it'll work out.

Comment

Build Multipurpose AR or sell?

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
      Andy's point is valid. What you price it for may not be worth it right now, unless you just want to get rid of it and take anything they'll offer you. It's not a boat, but you might be better off trading than selling.

.300blk, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 SPC, etc, etc. All worthy choices honestly. Just fyi, the 6.5 and 6.8 spc are both based on non-5.56 parent cases. So the upper isn't the only thing you have to change. You'll need magazines also. At least with the .300blk you can re-use everything (bolt included) and even the magazines. So basically just swap the upper.

Anyway, if you don't need the money, don't rush. Take your time, it'll work out.
      Thanks for pointing out that the 6.5 and 6.8 utilize different parent cases, I was under the impression they used a .223 case.

I've been thinking about starting to pick up parts for my next build and I really want to maintain parts interchangeability, perhaps I'll build a blackout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You'd guys be surprised at the offers I got yesterday on FB for the gun...I simply posted asking a question to determine how soon is to soon to post a for sale ad, I got 5 offers via PM. There is a market, and 4 of the five offers were for more than I thought was fair. It's crazy. I just really don't want to sell it.

I'm going to go the .300 route simply b/c you don't have to get a new bolt or mags (I think). Unless, I decide to just build another one.
        I do like the trade idea as well. Guns are toys to me. If I'm not using it, I have a hard time justifying it. Just like instruments. Why do I need ten ukuleles? I can only play one at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by limon32 View Post
          Thanks for pointing out that the 6.5 and 6.8 utilize different parent cases, I was under the impression they used a .223 case.

I've been thinking about starting to pick up parts for my next build and I really want to maintain parts interchangeability, perhaps I'll build a blackout!

6.5 is based on the .220 Russian, but since that's based on the 7.62X39mm I suppose it's more accurate to say it's based on the 7.62x39mm (aka the AK-47 round). 6.8SPC is based on the .30 Remington. Since the bases are all different, they each need a special bolt (not necessarily the carrier). And the mags are unique also.

You'd guys be surprised at the offers I got yesterday on FB for the gun...I simply posted asking a question to determine how soon is to soon to post a for sale ad, I got 5 offers via PM. There is a market, and 4 of the five offers were for more than I thought was fair. It's crazy. I just really don't want to sell it.

I'm going to go the .300 route simply b/c you don't have to get a new bolt or mags (I think). Unless, I decide to just build another one.
          I do like the trade idea as well. Guns are toys to me. If I'm not using it, I have a hard time justifying it. Just like instruments. Why do I need ten ukuleles? I can only play one at a time.
          .300 BLK is a shortened and re-necked 5.56 case. OAL is the same as 5.56. Which means the only difference between a 5.56 and a .300 BLK is the barrel. Nothing else changes. Same bolt, same mags, etc. So you really could build a .300 BLK with nothing more than a new barrel. Of course, swapping out would require a vice and a wrench. So most people just get the full upper.

.300 BLK is roughly the same power as a .30-30 emphasis on roughly. Depends on the bullet and the powder charge. But that's also (to me) a benefit. OH, full disclosure, I haven't got a .300 BLK. I have done a TON of research on building one because I thought I might like it, but I'm holding off for a bit to take care of a few other things. Anyway, you can load super sonic 115gr .308 cal bullets and get 2,400 fps or load 230 gr bullets and get 1,000 fps. Great for moderate game hunting or home defense. It's on my list of maybe some day.

Oh, and more benefits. If you have .223 cases, you have the makings of a .300BLK case. Just trim to the right length and re-neck it with a die. Makes it easy to find cases that way.

Comment

6.5 is based on the .220 Russian, but since that's based on the 7.62X39mm I suppose it's more accurate to say it's based on the 7.62x39mm (aka the AK-47 round). 6.8SPC is based on the .30 Remington. Since the bases are all different, they each need a special bolt (not necessarily the carrier). And the mags are unique also.

.300 BLK is a shortened and re-necked 5.56 case. OAL is the same as 5.56. Which means the only difference between a 5.56 and a .300 BLK is the barrel. Nothing else changes. Same bolt, same mags, etc. So you really could build a .300 BLK with nothing more than a new barrel. Of course, swapping out would require a vice and a wrench. So most people just get the full upper.

.300 BLK is roughly the same power as a .30-30 emphasis on roughly. Depends on the bullet and the powder charge. But that's also (to me) a benefit. OH, full disclosure, I haven't got a .300 BLK. I have done a TON of research on building one because I thought I might like it, but I'm holding off for a bit to take care of a few other things. Anyway, you can load super sonic 115gr .308 cal bullets and get 2,400 fps or load 230 gr bullets and get 1,000 fps. Great for moderate game hunting or home defense. It's on my list of maybe some day.

Oh, and more benefits. If you have .223 cases, you have the makings of a .300BLK case. Just trim to the right length and re-neck it with a die. Makes it easy to find cases that way.
            That's awesome info, really appreciate it!

That supersonic load looks like a perfect fur load for 0-200 yards!

Comment

Originally posted by limon32 View Post
              That's awesome info, really appreciate it!

That supersonic load looks like a perfect fur load for 0-200 yards!

You guys are making me lean more that way. Here it was, I thought I wanted to sell LOL!
              The versatility is pretty sweet.

Comment

You guys are making me lean more that way. Here it was, I thought I wanted to sell LOL!
                Ha ha ha! Check out JSE surplus, they usually have some great deals on a variety of uppers and they ship them usps so it would come straight to your door.

There are lots of other websites with good deals right now too, but I've used JSE and was really happy with them.

Please do not tell the misses I provided you the info on the website!

Comment

I was planning to build a .300BLK piston, but I found out that the piston versions are not working well. So I put it on hold. Now I've moved on to something else until they work that out.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X