Build Multipurpose AR or sell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Multipurpose AR or sell?

I have a rock river arms AR, that I am torn over. This rifle is fun to shoot and I've only owned it for about 7 months. Winter is upon us and I'm out of ammo (minus the one magazine that is for just in case). Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of just simply selling it. Or...
    buying a different upper to have a multipurpose AR.
    Anyone here use same lower and just swap out uppers?
    If so, what are advantages if say: .308, 6.5, so com caliber?
    My second purpose would be for hunting. Iron site gun.

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I have a rock river arms AR, that I am torn over. This rifle is fun to shoot and I've only owned it for about 7 months. Winter is upon us and I'm out of ammo (minus the one magazine that is for just in case). Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of just simply selling it. Or...
    buying a different upper to have a multipurpose AR.
    Anyone here use same lower and just swap out uppers?
    If so, what are advantages if say: .308, 6.5, so com caliber?
    My second purpose would be for hunting. Iron site gun.
    .308 would be out because they are built on a totally different lower.

6.8 SPC would be a neat upper with fair ammo availability retail if you haven't started hand-loading yet.

.300 blackout would be interesting but its most interesting suppressed and reloading would almost be necessary.

.450 bushmaster or .50 beauwolf would be really cool, mostly for close range moose/bear gun, there is a .450 upper on Alaska's list right now. Again handloading is almost a must with these too.

Swapping uppers is a trivial exercise, I had planned on using a couple uppers with one lower but they are so cheap now that its only about $150 savings so its not really worth it to me.

Comment

The 50 Beowulf or .458 SOCOM would be a hard choice to make. Don't sell. Reload. That rifle is too practical to be without.
      Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Comment

Originally posted by Nitroman View Post
        The 50 Beowulf or .458 SOCOM would be a hard choice to make. Don't sell. Reload. That rifle is too practical to be without.
        Good point, .223 components are easy to come by right now, and cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not sure what the regulations are on shipping ammo from Anchorage to the Bush, but at $349.00 a thousand for XM855 (62gr. FMJ) that is pretty cheap.
          "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
            I am not sure what the regulations are on shipping ammo from Anchorage to the Bush, but at $349.00 a thousand for XM855 (62gr. FMJ) that is pretty cheap.
            It's the shipping. I usually grab a few boxes and bring back with me. However veggies have taken priority over ammo. Got two little ones.

Im im going to look into reloading components this Christmas break. When I was in town last time I didn't see any 1000 rd cases. But I was very limited in shopping time for ammo. This next visit I will have a week.

Comment

I have a few AR-15's in 6.8SPC cartridge. It is a great hunting cartridge choice, and if your going to reload for an AR it would seem that the 6.8SPC is a better cartridge to reload for than the .223/5.56X45MM

Here is a good read on the 6.8SPC.........http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...C-II-as-a-Hunt
              "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                I have a few AR-15's in 6.8SPC cartridge. It is a great hunting cartridge choice, and if your going to reload for an AR it would seem that the 6.8SPC is a better cartridge to reload for than the .223/5.56X45MM

Here is a good read on the 6.8SPC.........http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...C-II-as-a-Hunt
                Your advocacy for the 6.8 is sort of my inspiration. I came across an article about the 6.5 as well.
                If I remain in the village, reloading will become a must.

Comment

Your advocacy for the 6.8 is sort of my inspiration. I came across an article about the 6.5 as well.
                  If I remain in the village, reloading will become a must.
                  6.8 SPc component offerings geared toward ARs are getting more numerous all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't find a better round for the AR than the 6.5 Grendel if you want to shoot beyond 300 yds. Otherwise the 6.8 SPC does a fine job too. With a 1in 9" twist .223 barrel, mid range round like the 6.5 or 6.8 and the SOCOM or Beowulf for short range heavy work you pretty well have it all covered. One lower and 3 uppers and a reloader and you're set... oh yeah...feed the kids too!
                    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Not that I'm advocating for a specific caliber, but if your alternate is to sell, don't. Well, that's my opinion anyway. The AR market is so saturated now that you're bound to lose money. If it were me, I'd probably go for the .300 BLK route mainly for the novelty and the idea of a sub sonic round AND the option to run super sonic with a lighter round. But that's just me.

Comment

Yea don't sell right now, this is the buying market for AR stuff. I like the 300 Blackout myself, it's a 30-30 league round or sub-sonic thumper depending on your loadings.
                        Andy
                        On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                        Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                        Call/Text 602-315-2406
                        Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
                          Not that I'm advocating for a specific caliber, but if your alternate is to sell, don't. Well, that's my opinion anyway. The AR market is so saturated now that you're bound to lose money. If it were me, I'd probably go for the .300 BLK route mainly for the novelty and the idea of a sub sonic round AND the option to run super sonic with a lighter round. But that's just me.
                          I haven't even decided in a price yet. I've been checking gunbroker and my set up is going for $1k. Without the extras. I was thinking of selling it for less. It is fun to shoot. I'm going to check these other options out. I won't be ready to do anything with it, until feb when I know about next year. I don't need the money. Just have my eyes on some other stuff. Boat fund. Etc.

Comment

My thoughts on the AR15 aside, if yo do sell it, sell it in the village. You'll get more cash for it. (Less supply = higher price....to a point.)

Comment

I haven't even decided in a price yet. I've been checking gunbroker and my set up is going for $1k. Without the extras. I was thinking of selling it for less. It is fun to shoot. I'm going to check these other options out. I won't be ready to do anything with it, until feb when I know about next year. I don't need the money. Just have my eyes on some other stuff. Boat fund. Etc.
                              Don't confuse asking price for value. I just did a search on Gunbroker for Rock River Arms AR and got 4 pages, of those only 3 auctions had any bids, 2 of those were under $500 and the other ($1700) was a 458 SCOM package with a bunch of stuff. I can get RRA brand new complete 223s starting at $399 wholesale right now. I get ten emails every day from venders begging me to buy some ARs for super cheap, the AR market is in the toilet right now like never before. You may get a premium for it for cash out in a village from someone that doesn't see what the market is doing . . . but remember you still got to live there.
                              Andy
                              On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                              Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                              Call/Text 602-315-2406
                              Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X